Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.

MTA board members chew over banning food and drink, cite track fires, rats, garbage a reasons

Via Garibaldi 8

Do you think people should be allowed to eat and drink on the subway?  

1. 1. Do you think people should be allowed to eat and drink on the subway?

• Drinks are ok - I need my morning coffee on the train, but eating is gross.
    • Absolutely! When you're hungry, you need to eat, even on the subway.
    • No. People make messes they don't clean, and it's unsanitary anyway.

"The Spaghetti Incident"

No, it's not that bloody Guns N' Roses album that we've all come to know and some love, but rather the infamous "spaghetti" or "lo mein" brawl that occurred on the subway that apparently everyone has seen, including the (MTA). According to a report on NY1, after having reviewed the brawl, the (MTA) is now considering putting an enforceable ban on all food and drink consumption on the subway.

I cannot find a link from NY1, so here is a link I found from the Daily News...

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2011/03/22/2011-03-22_subway_eating_straphangers_dont_like_it_one_bit_mta_ponders_ban_on_food_and_drin.html

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can bash me if you have to, I wouldn't mind a food/drink ban at all. Less garbage to pick up. I don't think it would be well enforced at all, though, just my take.

It will never work, people simply don't have time to eat at home like they used to and eat on the run instead, especially in a city like this. It works for the other systems because they're smaller and have less ridership.

Ahhh... so this would do more harm than good. Also there are like vendors that sell snacks on the go within the subway system too, so the ban wouldn't be a good idea either in that sense. I hope I got your point understood.

Its a win win situation. More money for the MTA cause theyll be handing out fines left and right, less garbage and sticky coffee stains all over the trains. You know those hood rats would have just put the leftovers underneath the seat anyway and with all the cuts there are less cleaners so that crap would stay on the train for a few round trips atleast attracting rodents and roaches.

I never eat on the train. The train and buses are meant for getting from point A to point B. Its not a luxury and its not the time you clip your nails, eat your food and what not. Sit there , read your paper or listen to your music and thats it..

Does this apply to the commuter rails as well i.e LIRR and Metro North?

On the subways being fair I usually only have bottled water with me. Maybe a few times in my younger years I have a candy bar.

Never anything like Chicken, Pizza or Spaghetti.

Does this apply to the commuter rails as well i.e LIRR and Metro North?

On the subways being fair I usually only have bottled water with me. Maybe a few times in my younger years I have a candy bar.

Never anything like Chicken, Pizza or Spaghetti.

For now it appears to be just for the subway... What is interesting is that the (MTA) made the same argument that I did in the other thread about that brawl, that the litter and such leads to track fires, and more rats, causing more problems underground.

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2011/03/22/2011-03-22_subway_eating_straphangers_dont_like_it_one_bit_mta_ponders_ban_on_food_and_drin.html

I usually eat breakfast on the way into the city in the morning, usually a bagel at Dunkin Donuts and a coffee. This nanny state BS needs to stop, so what if two people fight over food in the subway, are we gunna ban every other stupid thing people fight over down there?

I usually eat breakfast on the way into the city in the morning, usually a bagel at Dunkin Donuts and a coffee. This nanny state BS needs to stop, so what if two people fight over food in the subway, are we gunna ban every other stupid thing people fight over down there?

If you ban food and drinks in the subway the trains and platforms will be much cleaner. Sounds like a good enough reason to me. A majority of these people are dirty slobs. I cant even count the number of times Ive been on the (A) train and saw old ass chicken bones all over the floor.

I agree with this idea 100% I truly despise people who eat smelly greasy crap on the subway and then toss it under the seat or on station platforms. Why do you think we have so many rat problems down there ? There is no way the MTA will ever be able to enforce it but I still applaud any efforts to clean up the subway.

Oh and about people having hectic schedules and not having time to eat at home...

Tough, either eat at home or arrive at work a few minutes early and chow down your meal there, just keep it off the damm train and buses :mad::mad::mad:

Nothing is worse then some a$$hole eating fried chicken or chinese food on the train and stinking up the whole car and if that's not the worst part, they leave the leftovers on the train when they get off. If they actually enforced this, it would be great. If you need you morning coffe and bagel, wake up earlyier and eat BEFORE you get on the train, your not that important.

Now, I know it's not good to eat in the subway, especially if it's some big meal (chinese food, pizza, etc.). But what about people that have to eat something because of a condition, like diabetes. For those people, there should be an exception.

Ban food except water=Less mess to clean up=Less rats=Less complaints=Less rat bait=Less money spent

Unfortunately, despite what people think, we won't get a WMATA-esque system out of this ban.

Newsstands shouldn't be selling more than magazines, newspapers, lotto tickets, and bottled water.

Now, I know it's not good to eat in the subway, especially if it's some big meal (chinese food, pizza, etc.). But what about people that have to eat something because of a condition, like diabetes. For those people, there should be an exception.

It's called eat or drink BEFORE you get on the subway. The only reason people need to eat or drink on the subway is because they are too lazy to do so beforehand. Now I have had a drink on the subway, but quite frankly it wasn't a necessity to do so. I could certainly have that drink before I board the train. If people aren't planning on having an entire meal on the subway, then giving yourself a simple 5-10 minutes to have a small snack or drink before boarding the train isn't a big deal at all.

Get off the train or eat before hand, unless there is some kind of emergency, you won't be on the train that long.

This is ridiculous.

And what will happen to all of the vendors selling drinks and candy in the subway? They'll all have to close up.

Too bad, kick them out. They only hold a month to month lease and they produce most of the trash in the subway anyway.

This is ridiculous.

And what will happen to all of the vendors selling drinks and candy in the subway? They'll all have to close up.

What's ridiculous is that people can't be mature enough to use common sense and discipline in understanding that they aren't the only ones using the system and to have some respect for others besides themselves. If folks were decent enough to not bring their entire meal on the train AND not leave their garbage all over the place then this wouldn't be a problem at all.

This is a case of a few bad apples spoiling the bunch. It is one thing if you have a snickers bar and eat it then throw the wrapper in the trash. Unfortunately, for every person like that, there is someone eating smelly food with a fork and leaving trash on the train.

Archived