MTA board members chew over banning food and drink, cite track fires, rats, garbage a reasons

Via Garibaldi 8

Do you think people should be allowed to eat and drink on the subway?  

1. 1. Do you think people should be allowed to eat and drink on the subway?

• Drinks are ok - I need my morning coffee on the train, but eating is gross.
    • Absolutely! When you're hungry, you need to eat, even on the subway.
    • No. People make messes they don't clean, and it's unsanitary anyway.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Eating should be ok in the MTA system. What they need to do is write out tickets when some of these lazy asses don't put their trash in the garbage. There ya go MTA some extra revenue for you!!!

Sounds great until you realize that it can't be enforced. Laws which cannot be enforced might as well not be laws; they just set a precedent for selectively not enforcing other laws.

Sounds great until you realize that it can't be enforced. Laws which cannot be enforced might as well not be laws; they just set a precedent for selectively not enforcing other laws.

Exactly,i like the idea but trying to enforce this is gonna be real hard. and it won't help in terms of having a clean subway system,the people of NYC don't care.

I say this ban is crazy.Some of us have long commutes whether its going to work,school,home or whatever and we may need to bring a snack or drink and may want to eat on the train.Me I don't litter in the subway but outside I'll release a candy wrapper at most.The Subway and buses may be dirty but this is NEW YORK CITY 8million people plus and you expect a clean environment! People who litter on the tracks are feeding the rats so blame.People who leave garbage on the train don't give a s**t b\c they rely on the cleaners.Me I eat on the train and or bus but I don't leave garbage behind b\c I'm not nasty personally.Now if someone spills a drink or something it happens I'm sure someone wouldn't dump out a drink.But littering on the tracks and platform is inexcusable b\c there SHOULD be at least 1 or 2 garbage disposals on each platform.

how bout this...

-People can eat on the train just clean up yer mess. Leave one and a cop sees it you get slammed with a $500 FINE

-Mind yer own business don't be a do gooder and STFU if someone else is eating

-If someone does say something to you, say it's in the rules, i'm allowed to, and don't be a mope and fight them over it...otherwise 30 days in jail and a $1500 FINE for all involved.

I'm on the fence on this one. Sure on one hand, some people leave their messess on the train and screws the next passenger over with leftover garbage on and under the seats but at the same time, not all people are like that. I'm not gonna lie, I eat on the train but I don't leave my trash there. I jut put it all in the bag it came in and just throw it out when I get off. Why ban it in the subways when the (MTA) spent all this money for those little concession stands. Look how much they make renting those out.

As for rats in the subway, that's unavoidable since its built DIRECTLY OVER the sewers at most, if not all underground stations. As long as we have a city as big as NYC, there's still gonna be rats no matter where you go, that's unavoidable.

Furthermore, I think the (MTA) is going a little overboard with this. Why should we let one problem that went public when there's more important things they have to worry about *cough SAS cough*. No matter how you look at it, there's always gonna be someone eating on the train no matter how much you try to enforce it. We move millions on any given day, you think they're gonna go out and fine every single person?

Obvious question: if they ban food and drinks in the subway, what will happen to all of those newstands that sell candy and soda?

This is ridiculous.

And what will happen to all of the vendors selling drinks and candy in the subway? They'll all have to close up.

That's the problem, and they're paying the MTA money for those newsstands, and from what I heard, they're paying them a damn good price (that is, in the eyes of the MTA).

This is stupid. Sure there are people who eat like they belong in a zoo but not everyone has time to eat at home. As long as someone cleans up their mess then no one will be harassed. People seriously need to mind their own business, for one, and to not fuel the fire if someone's giving them a hard time.

Our system is simply too large for this to happen. We're not like DC Metro or PATH, whose systems are smaller and they can enforce these rules as well as the photo ban in PATH. But if this does go through, then we can thank these two birds and that fat nosey ogre for ruining it for us. Just brilliant.

Ahhh... so this would do more harm than good. Also there are like vendors that sell snacks on the go within the subway system too, so the ban wouldn't be a good idea either in that sense. I hope I got your point understood.

So? You buy it, eat it while walking to the platform, if you're not done yet eat it on the platform and get in the train. Really, your point is not a problem at all.

Maybe an idea would be to put a garbage can in the subway train cars. There are no places to throw things out so the best thing for most people to think about is to throw it on the floor. Of course I am an environmentalist, and I do believe that if people don't have any place to throw things out they would most likely throw it on the floor. That is one way to have a cleaner subway. Another one is to put more garbage cans at subway stations, and entrances which should help even more. Thus this is the best way to have people throw things out. Have a sign above the can that says "Please throw out your trash here, and make the ride enjoyable for everyone. Thank you, and have a wonderful day".

Maybe an idea would be to put a garbage can in the subway train cars. There are no places to throw things out so the best thing for most people to think about is to throw it on the floor. Of course I am an environmentalist, and I do believe that if people don't have any place to throw things out they would most likely throw it on the floor. That is one way to have a cleaner subway. Another one is to put more garbage cans at subway stations, and entrances which should help even more. Thus this is the best way to have people throw things out. Have a sign above the can that says "Please throw out your trash here, and make the ride enjoyable for everyone. Thank you, and have a wonderful day".

And then when the trash is sitting there for days until an employee can get to it and the whole car stinks then what?

Don't know my first strategy is to make a trash can or some area to deposit trash available. If it fails then I would ban food, and drink, but first we have to employ some other strategy to see if people would do their job.

How many times do you see the trash recepticles overflowing on the platforms? Putting one in every car (which is what I assume you would propose) would mean more cleaners would be needed to empty out all of the trash bins, which the (MTA) can't afford anyway with their fiscal crisis.

All drinks and food with the exception of water should be banned, this way there's no worrying about this one having a snack vs this one having a meal. It becomes ridiculous at some point.

For all of those saying that we don't need this and that on subways and buses, well we don't need food on the subway. It's just a mode of transportation not a friggin buffet or take out spot.

I agree w/the ban and I snack on the express bus, though I'd never do it on the subway (just way too grimy and dirty) but I also don't leave a mess and spill sh*t everywhere. If you think about it most of the spills you see on the floor are from spilled drinks and we know how long those spills sit there now with the cleaners being cut back.

Finally for those arguing that this is New York City and that's why it is okay for it to be dirty, that's a load of BS. There are other big cities with sizable populations and their cities aren't filthy nor are their train systems. It comes down to people being nasty and inconsiderate and most importantly thinking that (MTA) cleaners are there solely to clean up behind them, which is the real problem. So for $2.25 they expect maid service too... :P

I usually eat breakfast on the way into the city in the morning, usually a bagel at Dunkin Donuts and a coffee. This nanny state BS needs to stop, so what if two people fight over food in the subway, are we gunna ban every other stupid thing people fight over down there?

Ignoring the fight, people do tend to be disgusting when eating food in public. Especially New Yorkers who refuse to look after their city and throw their trash everywhere. Its a train, not a libertarian cafeteria. Either eat beforehand or wait until work!

I wouldn't ban food off the subway. Its not worth it.. Especially since the NYPD is weak in certain parts of the subway and a lot of them may not care..

However a rule should be placed on PICKING UP YOUR GARBAGE and sh9t canning it.. Not trash it where you feel like.. People want things there way but can't follow rules!

There are loads of Newsstands in the subway system, idk how this is gonna work and it will not please the public..

Another option is to allow drinks and anything small for eating, such as snacks.. Anything big then shouldn't be allowed.

People should also mind there bees wax for who eats what.. Its a public area.. You don't like people eating in front of you then get a damn car then bs.. Just like outside... People eat everywhere..

Another rule id put in would be spitting besides littering. I see lots of people spitting on the subway and even urinating... Disgusting, just use the bin for that.. For urine, hold it to the nearest station with a restroom!

Eating should be ok in the MTA system. What they need to do is write out tickets when some of these lazy asses don't put their trash in the garbage. There ya go MTA some extra revenue for you!!!

You mean a littering fine?. That should work.

Another rule id put in would be spitting besides littering. I see lots of people spitting on the subway and even urinating... Disgusting, just use the bin for that.. For urine, hold it to the nearest station with a restroom!

You guys are trying to pull our collective leg, right? I'm not being a wiseguy; but, littering, and other behavior are already covered by statutes on the books:

3306802622_6fda875c4b.jpg

vintage-nyc-subway-car-decal-sign-sticker-no-spitting_230585070372.jpg

It's a matter of enforcing the existing laws, not clogging up the Penal Code with redundant and extraneous filler. It doesn't matter, anyway. People lack manners, social etiquette and common courtesy. Society has degenerated to the point where everybody and their brother resorts to petty posturing and being confrontational. MYOB is what created the situation seen in the video. No one is held accountable for their behavior anymore. How often has anyone witnessed a situation where a person asks another, who is creating a disturbance, to quiet down and that person ends up making a complete a$$hole of himself? The strategy is to become so unruly so that the person who complained, embarassed by the dope's behavior (these types of people lack self-respect, in the first place, so, acting like a horse's ass doesn't bother them) and the attention it attracts, backs down. To say these cretins act like animals is an insult to animals. Even animals possess certain rules of behavior which they follow.

Like INDman said, get off the train; or, eat beforehand. You're not taking a rail trip to Chicago. Dining cars aren't an available option in the subway. Also, if you read the fine print under "LITTERING" in the second picture above, it says, "OR CREATING A NUISANCE OR INSANITARY CONDITION", that, in itself can be considered a prohibition to eating on the subway. Now, read the possible penalties. As I previously stated, it's all a matter of enforcing existing laws.

Re spitting, that's been against the law from Day 1. Platform trash cans aren't meant to be used as spitoons, either. Spitting into a trash receptacle is still spitting on TA property and considered a health violation. Were you under the impression that spitting was legal?!? Taking a leak on TA property is an automatic minimum $100 fine, by the way. If you doubt me, try it.

Maybe an idea would be to put a garbage can in the subway train cars....... Have a sign above the can that says "Please throw out your trash here, and make the ride enjoyable for everyone. Thank you, and have a wonderful day".

The cars are already garbage cans, by default. Do you have that much confidence that some passengers possess enough intelligence and common sense as to actually comply? There are signs that tell people not to block or lean on the subway car doors, too. A lot of good that does, huh? At one time, conductors used to make announcements to remind passengers to take their trash with them when exiting the train. Now, you're lucky if they announce the stop. It's hard to speak into a mike when your face is stuffed with food. TA employees, in some instances, are no better than the passengers.

You guys are trying to pull our collective leg, right? I'm not being a wiseguy; but, littering, and other behavior are already covered by statutes on the books:

3306802622_6fda875c4b.jpg

vintage-nyc-subway-car-decal-sign-sticker-no-spitting_230585070372.jpg

It's a matter of enforcing the existing laws, not clogging up the Penal Code with redundant and extraneous filler. It doesn't matter, anyway. People lack manners, social etiquette and common courtesy. Society has degenerated to the point where everybody and their brother resorts to petty posturing and being confrontational. MYOB is what created the situation seen in the video. No one is held accountable for their behavior anymore. How often has anyone witnessed a situation where a person asks another, who is creating a disturbance, to quiet down and that person ends up making a complete a$$hole of himself? The strategy is to become so unruly so that the person who complained, embarassed by the dope's behavior (these types of people lack self-respect, in the first place, so, acting like a horse's ass doesn't bother them) and the attention it attracts, backs down. To say these cretins act like animals is an insult to animals. Even animals possess certain rules of behavior which they follow.

Like INDman said, get off the train; or, eat beforehand. You're not taking a rail trip to Chicago. Dining cars aren't an available option in the subway. Also, if you read the fine print under "LITTERING" in the second picture above, it says, "OR CREATING A NUISANCE OR INSANITARY CONDITION", that, in itself can be considered a prohibition to eating on the subway. Now, read the possible penalties. As I previously stated, it's all a matter of enforcing existing laws.

Re spitting, that's been against the law from Day 1. Platform trash cans aren't meant to be used as spitoons, either. Spitting into a trash receptacle is still spitting on TA property and considered a health violation. Were you under the impression that spitting was legal?!? Taking a leak on TA property is an automatic minimum $100 fine, by the way. If you doubt me, try it.

People do it all the time and no one gets stopped! City should then enforce the law!

Don't know my first strategy is to make a trash can or some area to deposit trash available. If it fails then I would ban food, and drink, but first we have to employ some other strategy to see if people would do their job.

What do you think this is for?!?

349668803_602d8d0193.jpg

Look, man, I seriously don't mean to razz you and some of the other guys; but, don't you (generally speaking) take the time to read your comments before posting? Some of the comments defy logic.

How many times do you see the trash recepticles overflowing on the platforms? Putting one in every car (which is what I assume you would propose) would mean more cleaners would be needed to empty out all of the trash bins, which the (MTA) can't afford anyway with their fiscal crisis.

That's a valid point, but think about it this way. In order for it to truly be an "enforcable ban" as the OP put it, they'd have to put a cop in every car -- or at the very least on every train -- just to write these tickets. That would be even more money that they can't afford.

I like Roadcruiser's idea (trash can in every car). In a perfect world, they'd have the money for these trash cans, for the workers to empty them, and for the cleaning crew to do a better job in general.

In today's money-strapped world (and also even in the perfect world), all they really have to do is enforce the already-existing littering law. If they can't even enforce that, how are they going to enforce an eating ban? Just punish the people who leave the messes, not the people just trying to eat a quick breakfast on the way to work and who take their trash out with them.

(P.S. I don't live/work anywhere close to NYC. I currently drive to work at the crack of dawn, and always have at least a beverage with me. If I did live in the city, I'd take that beverage (and maybe a granola bar or something) into the subway, and I'd take the trash out with me. You're better off me doing that then driving down the freeway with hot coffee in my lap. ;):) )

People do it all the time and no one gets stopped! City should then enforce the law!

Therein lies the problem, non-enforcement of existing laws. Issuing summonses for just a fraction of the violations would kill two birds with one stone:

1. Allow the leatherheads to meet and exceed their quotas; and

2. line the city's coffers with much needed mazuma via fines.

In order to accomplish both, cops need to take a more proactive approach in performing their duties instead of hanging out in the mezzanine bullsh*tting until the shift change.

Archived