MTA board members chew over banning food and drink, cite track fires, rats, garbage a reasons

Via Garibaldi 8

Do you think people should be allowed to eat and drink on the subway?  

1. 1. Do you think people should be allowed to eat and drink on the subway?

• Drinks are ok - I need my morning coffee on the train, but eating is gross.
    • Absolutely! When you're hungry, you need to eat, even on the subway.
    • No. People make messes they don't clean, and it's unsanitary anyway.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wirelessly posted via (BlackBerry8520/5.0.0.900 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

No I mean trash bins in the trains, and buses. Not the ones at the platforms.

What would that possibly solve? All that would do is just cause MORE trash in the trains

Ha. I was eating a donut on the (M) today, no one noticed :). even a cop was in the cab of that car.

thing is the car was almost empty.

I think the reason they are trying to ban food/drinks is because on a crowded train, one could spill their food/drink onto another person.

Since I was on an empty car, it wasnt a problem.

That's a valid point, but think about it this way. In order for it to truly be an "enforcable ban" as the OP put it, they'd have to put a cop in every car -- or at the very least on every train -- just to write these tickets. That would be even more money that they can't afford.

Having a cop on the train was somewhat of a reality when the city had an independent Transit Police Department, solely dedicated to patrolling the transit system. Since consolidation of the TPD and the Housing Police into the NYPD in 1995, the TPD has been relegated to "bureau" status. The Transit Bureau has approximately 3,000 officers assigned to patrol the transit system. That's about 1,000 officers less than what was available pre-consolidation.

I like Roadcruiser's idea (trash can in every car). In a perfect world, they'd have the money for these trash cans, for the workers to empty them, and for the cleaning crew to do a better job in general.

In a perfect world, there wouldn't be a need to suggest trash cans in subway cars because people wouldn't litter. There are platform trash cans at every station; but, that hasn't prevented people from depositing their garbage on the station floors or on the track beds. This is a lack of consideration and abject disregard for the law. One solution goes back to the comment made by Inspector Alexander "Clubber" Williams:

There is more justice at the end of a policeman's nightstick than in all the decisions of the Supreme Court

But, that wouldn't be considered politically correct nowadays, would it? ;)

In today's money-strapped world (and also even in the perfect world), all they really have to do is enforce the already-existing littering law. If they can't even enforce that, how are they going to enforce an eating ban? Just punish the people who leave the messes, not the people just trying to eat a quick breakfast on the way to work and who take their trash out with them.

IF, if, if.......that's the magic word. IF people had the courtesy to clean up after themselves. IF the cops would enforce existing laws. Each of these is predicated on the assumption that the parties in question take their particular responsibilities seriously.

(P.S. I don't live/work anywhere close to NYC. I currently drive to work at the crack of dawn, and always have at least a beverage with me. If I did live in the city, I'd take that beverage (and maybe a granola bar or something) into the subway, and I'd take the trash out with me. You're better off me doing that then driving down the freeway with hot coffee in my lap. ;):) )

You just had to rub that first part under our noses, didn't you. ;)

I think the reason they are trying to ban food/drinks is because on a crowded train, one could spill their food/drink onto another person.

In addition to creating unsanitary conditions (moreso than normal, that is) because of the resultant garbage strewn in the car.

JEEZUS H. CHRIST! A teenager with something other than a vacant parking space between his ears! :):tup:

This is laughable. Do you think people will actually care that they could get fined for eating in the subway? NO.

People are well aware that walking between subway cars is illegal and even dangerous. Yet people do it every single day in full view of everyone in the car. It is even an automated announcement on the train. I've even seen someone roll a joint on Union Square during rush hour, and even a small baggie next to the trash can on Union Square.

What I am trying to say is, there is absolutely no consideration for rules and regulations in the subway.

If this rule gets passed, I guarantee that there will still be the same amount of trash in the trains, platforms, and rails. You can have a HUGE red sign saying EATING ON THE SUBWAY IS ILLEGAL on every platform and they'd stare at it eating a bagel with the left hand with coffee in the right.

It's just a waste of time considering this rule. Besides, you don't need a container of spaghetti to have a fight on the subway.

no he wasnt. he was saying that I have no brain!

I hate it when people insult me :mad:.

I am pretty sure when he said that you have something other than a vacant space between your ears which means you dont have a vacant parking space between your ears. He means you do have a brain and he agrees with your post. Read a little more carefully, you might have skipped over a word or two...

I am pretty sure when he said that you have something other than a vacant space between your ears which means you dont have a vacant parking space between your ears. He means you do have a brain and he agrees with your post. Read a little more carefully, you might have skipped over a word or two...

;):o I just spotted the word "other" in there...

I guess I do have a vacant parking space between my ears! :)

Why would I have given you a :tup: if I were insulting you?!? You should hate not being able to recognize a compliment if it was staring you in dead in the face. I formally retract the compliment.

I thought you were being sarcastic! I didn't spot the word other, sorry!

i mean seriously, theyre gunna write tickets cuz someone eats like a snickers candy bar on teh subway, or drinkin a snapple. I can understand if someones having a 5 course meal, hell i ate a whole mcdonalds meal on teh 2 train once, big mac, fries and everything. If they cant eat it on teh train, theyll eat it in the station or by the entrance stairs.

They need to change the MTA slogan from see something say something, to mind your own damn business.

Ok, lets say the ban goes through. How will they enforce it?

When cops start handing out $100 summonses as required by their oath to uphold the laws of the city which employs them. And don't think that they won't be in hot pursuit of generating revenue for the city because this will be classified as a quality of life violaton and strict enforcement will be mandated by the ones who pull the strings.

I know that I'll still eat and drink on the train regardless.

How cavalier of you. I get the feeling that, after getting tagged with a couple of them wallet lightening donations slips for the city Department of Taxation and Finance, you won't. The city loves recidivists because they are a steady and guaranteed source of revenue. After forking over the dough, at the Transit Adjudication Bureau on Gallatin Place, you won't have any money left to buy munchies with which to flaunt the law. :)

When cops start handing out $100 summonses as required by their oath to uphold the laws of the city which employs them. And don't think that they won't be in hot pursuit of generating revenue for the city because this will be classified as a quality of life violaton and strict enforcement will be mandated by the ones who pull the strings.

How cavalier of you. I get the feeling that, after getting tagged with a couple of them wallet lightening donations slips for the city Department of Taxation and Finance, you won't. The city loves recidivists because they are a steady and guaranteed source of revenue. After forking over the dough, at the Transit Adjudication Bureau on Gallatin Place, you won't have any money left to buy munchies with which to flaunt the law. :)

Technically jay-walking is against the law in New York City even though all of us do it every day. We don't even think about it, it just comes naturally, and most certainly we're not worried about getting ticketed for that.

You can bash me if you have to, I wouldn't mind a food/drink ban at all. Less garbage to pick up. I don't think it would be well enforced at all, though, just my take.

Let's see if you're still saying that when you have a job and don't have time to sit at the table and eat.

The only thing more absurd than this idea is the many thoughts I'm coming up with on how they'd enforce this sort of thing.

Seriously, how will they enforce it? Or is it going to be like the smoking ban in parks, have the public enforce it with peer pressure lmao.

Lmao, you obviously havent had to deal with overzealous cops trying to meet their quota.

Let's see if you're still saying that when you have a job and don't have time to sit at the table and eat.

The only thing more absurd than this idea is the many thoughts I'm coming up with on how they'd enforce this sort of thing.

Maybe instead of criticizing the MTA, people should reevaluate a lifestyle that prevents them from sitting down and eating in an appropriate place.

Maybe instead of criticizing the MTA, people should reevaluate a lifestyle that prevents them from sitting down and eating in an appropriate place.

Where in my statement do I imply that those same people have an excuse to litter? If you're truly active in the city's society there comes a point where eat and go is inescapable even if its just for a couple days. I run around crazy quite a bit with what I have to do between work and school. I have to grab food and run too. But I don't leave my sh!t all littered up on the train when I get up.

i mean seriously, theyre gunna write tickets cuz someone eats like a snickers candy bar on teh subway, or drinkin a snapple. I can understand if someones having a 5 course meal, hell i ate a whole mcdonalds meal on teh 2 train once, big mac, fries and everything. If they cant eat it on teh train, theyll eat it in the station or by the entrance stairs.

They need to change the MTA slogan from see something say something, to mind your own damn business.

There seems to be a trend. The majority of those who think that a ban is ridiculous and unenforceable fall into the 13-25 year old demographic. Rebeliousness and raging against authority are par for the course. That's O.K., everyone goes through this phase. You live and learn. Just consider yourselves fortunate that most cops today don't rectify antisocial behavior, as exhibited by misguided yoots, by beating the living sh*t out of you, then dragging your still quivering body into the station house and charging you with physically resisting arrest, on top of whatever else it was that you were deemed guilty of, like they did only 30 short years ago. Then again, there are some cops, in the present, who are firm believers in the old axiom, "Spare the rod and spoil the child". It would really suck to be you if you crossed paths with one of those cops who's having a bad day.

Archived