MTA board members chew over banning food and drink, cite track fires, rats, garbage a reasons

Via Garibaldi 8

Do you think people should be allowed to eat and drink on the subway?  

1. 1. Do you think people should be allowed to eat and drink on the subway?

• Drinks are ok - I need my morning coffee on the train, but eating is gross.
    • Absolutely! When you're hungry, you need to eat, even on the subway.
    • No. People make messes they don't clean, and it's unsanitary anyway.

Where in my statement do I imply that those same people have an excuse to litter? If you're truly active in the city's society there comes a point where eat and go is inescapable even if its just for a couple days. I run around crazy quite a bit with what I have to do between work and school. I have to grab food and run too. But I don't leave my sh!t all littered up on the train when I get up.

Where in my statement did I imply that you litter or excused littering? As a person that's "truly active" I still wake up early enough to eat breakfast, and make time to relax and have food. Even when I was going to school and working at the same time. I'm just commenting that if eating on public transportation has to be a habitual habit in lieu of sitting and eating, then maybe some time organization or curtailing some of that activeness has to come into play.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Technically jay-walking is against the law in New York City even though all of us do it every day. We don't even think about it, it just comes naturally, and most certainly we're not worried about getting ticketed for that.

Not until you get snagged by a cop with a wild hair up his a$$ and decides fulfill his monthly quota. If it's on the books, it's enforceable. Never make the mistake of doubting that. Years ago, I was given a summons for taking a leak off a pier. The charge? Polluting the river in violation of environmental impact regulations. Urine isn't a naturally occuring substance in waterways. $175 lighter for picking a cop's bad day to do what everyone else did.

There seems to be a trend. The majority of those who think that a ban is ridiculous and unenforceable fall into the 13-25 year old demographic. Rebeliousness and raging against authority are par for the course. That's O.K., everyone goes through this phase. You live and learn. Just consider yourselves fortunate that most cops today don't rectify antisocial behavior, as exhibited by misguided yoots, by beating the living sh*t out of you, then dragging your still quivering body into the station house and charging you with physically resisting arrest, on top of whatever else it was that you were deemed guilty of, like they did only 30 short years ago. Then again, there are some cops, in the present, who are firm believers in the old axiom, "Spare the rod and spoil the child". It would really suck to be you if you crossed paths with one of those cops who's having a bad day.

I just find it stupid how the first idea to come to mind when dealing with stuff lately seems to be the ban stamper. It's not gonna make the problem suddenly stop. Anyone who thinks it will is living with their heads in the clouds. The whole rebellion thing tends to be done by people who think the rules they're rebelling against are stupid. So why give them more reasons to rebel in the first place?

This whole consideration of a food ban due to the incident with the "food fight" is, in my eyes, yet another example of the MTA's double standards pertaining to race. Think about the circumstances of the "subway food fight". And then do the math...

I just find it stupid how the first idea to come to mind when dealing with stuff lately seems to be the ban stamper. It's not gonna make the problem suddenly stop. Anyone who thinks it will is living with their heads in the clouds. The whole rebellion thing tends to be done by people who think the rules they're rebelling against are stupid. So why give them more reasons to rebel in the first place?

That people can't use common sense and have respect for their fellow riders. Folks need to learn that there are consequences for their actions. It seems like society is becoming more and more self-centered by the minute. I need to eat and f*ck the fact that everyone else around me doesn't like it and that it is rude to do so... Then they sit and say that people should mind their business. How exactly do they do that if you're sitting there eating in front of everyone smacking and making a sh*t load of noise with your smelly food? :)

This whole consideration of a food ban due to the incident with the "food fight" is, in my eyes, yet another example of the MTA's double standards pertaining to race. Think about the circumstances of the "subway food fight". And then do the math...

I would but then I look at the general demographic of people who work for the MTA and I tend to think twice. This is all because the incident got sensationalized by the general media.

I would but then I look at the general demographic of people who work for the MTA and I tend to think twice. This is all because the incident got sensationalized by the general media.

Yeah, but you don't see non-whites running the agency. Basically, the upper levels of the MTA are 90-95% white, wealthy, and live not in the city itself, but in its suburbs.

That people can't use common sense and have respect for their fellow riders. Folks need to learn that there are consequences for their actions. It seems like society is becoming more and more self-centered by the minute. I need to eat and f*ck the fact that everyone else around me doesn't like it and that it is rude to do so... Then they sit and say that people should mind their business. How exactly do they do that if you're sitting there eating in front of everyone smacking and making a sh*t load of noise with your smelly food? :)

Double edge sword you playing with there. Common sense and respect for other riders not only includes how you exhibit your own actions and choices on the subway but how you approach others as well for theirs. I watched that video. If the woman was really THAT bothered she could have kept the matter peaceful and moved. She chose not only to confront the woman eating but do so in a pretty rude manner. The woman eating could have moved when she was confronted but chose to mouth off and then get tough. So both people are at fault.

There seems to be a trend. The majority of those who think that a ban is ridiculous and unenforceable fall into the 13-25 year old demographic. Rebeliousness and raging against authority are par for the course. That's O.K., everyone goes through this phase. You live and learn. Just consider yourselves fortunate that most cops today don't rectify antisocial behavior, as exhibited by misguided yoots, by beating the living sh*t out of you, then dragging your still quivering body into the station house and charging you with physically resisting arrest, on top of whatever else it was that you were deemed guilty of, like they did only 30 short years ago. Then again, there are some cops, in the present, who are firm believers in the old axiom, "Spare the rod and spoil the child". It would really suck to be you if you crossed paths with one of those cops who's having a bad day.

what does some angry cops have to do with anything, what im saying is theres a difference between someone eating a candy bar and someone having a whole 5 course meal on the train, and to treat each case the same is just ridiculous, and if you wanna talk what if scenarios, what if someone is diabetic and they need to have a little snack or they can pass out or get really ill.

Where in my statement do I imply that those same people have an excuse to litter? If you're truly active in the city's society there comes a point where eat and go is inescapable even if its just for a couple days. I run around crazy quite a bit with what I have to do between work and school. I have to grab food and run too. But I don't leave my sh!t all littered up on the train when I get up.

That is the lamest justification, man. If you're truly active in the city's society there comes a point where eat and go is inescapable even if its just for a couple days. I run around crazy quite a bit with what I have to do between work and school. I have to grab food and run too.Wah, wah, wah. My regular schedule would literally kill you, pal. There's always someone who has it worse than you. There's also something called self-control. That's a character trait, of which, a majority of people in your age group seriously lack. You want instant gratification in order to sate your base cravings. Then again, most people in your age group have the attention spans of gnats; but, that's for another discussion. Unless you happen to be a shrew, you won't starve to death by not eating while using public transportation. Manage your time and you won't be placed in that situation. The fact that you say you run around crazy indicates a lack of time management skills. Or, does that interfere with other important things, like texting, as you walk to the subway or bus stop?

Double edge sword you playing with there. Common sense and respect for other riders not only includes how you exhibit your own actions and choices on the subway but how you approach others as well for theirs. I watched that video. If the woman was really THAT bothered she could have kept the matter peaceful and moved. She chose not only to confront the woman eating but do so in a pretty rude manner. The woman eating could have moved when she was confronted but chose to mouth off and then get tough. So both people are at fault.

So in other words even though she paid, she should be forced to move to another car because someone thinks that the subway car is their personal kitchen??

That is the lamest justification, man. If you're truly active in the city's society there comes a point where eat and go is inescapable even if its just for a couple days. I run around crazy quite a bit with what I have to do between work and school. I have to grab food and run too.Wah, wah, wah. My regular schedule would literally kill you, pal. There's always someone who has it worse than you. There's also something called self-control. That's a character trait, of which, a majority of people in your age group seriously lack. You want instant gratification in order to sate your base cravings. Then again, most people in your age group have the attention spans of gnats; but, that's for another discussion. Unless you happen to be a shrew, you won't starve to death by not eating while using public transportation. Manage your time and you won't be placed in that situation. The fact that you say you run around crazy indicates a lack of time management skills. Or, does that interfere with other important things, like texting, as you walk to the subway or bus stop?

I can't care about your schedule and how it "kills" mine. All I care about is when I choose to do something like eat on the run I have the decency to clean up after myself. If I text I have the decency to be out of the way of other people so I'm not obstructing sidewalk traffic. So take your opinion and shove it up your ass...pal.

So in other words even though she paid, she should be forced to move to another car because someone thinks that the subway car is their personal kitchen??

In other words one of them should have been big about the matter and handled it better since neither of them are likely to run into each other again. "Because I paid" is a shitty excuse. I pay 2.25 just like anyone else and if something bothers me I'm ok to move elsewhere. I don't have to get myself into a fight with a random stranger I'm probably never gonna see again.

Why are you ranting against young people?:confused: Basically, you are offending people who represent a majority group on this forum. And besides, who are you to tell him to 'manage his time'?

what does some angry cops have to do with anything, what im saying is theres a difference between someone eating a candy bar and someone having a whole 5 course meal on the train, and to treat each case the same is just ridiculous, and if you wanna talk what if scenarios, what if someone is diabetic and they need to have a little snack or they can pass out or get really ill.

Dude, if a full ban is enacted, no eating means no eating. It won't matter if you're munching on a friggin' Snickers bar. If you can put it in your mouth and ingest it, it's food. What part of that don't you comprehend? You seem to have a problem with regulations and such. Didn't anyone ever tell you that you couldn't do something when you were growing up?

Re diabetics, they have and can provide proof of their medical condition to the satisfaction of any inquiring cop. You, on the other hand, will try to make any a confrontation into a test of wills, just to prove your point. I can tell you one thing, in a test of wills between you and a cop ready to hand you a summons, my money is on the guy with the badge.

Dude, if a full ban is enacted, no eating means no eating. It won't matter if you're munching on a friggin' Snickers bar. If you can put it in your mouth and ingest it, it's food. What part of that don't you comprehend? You seem to have a problem with regulations and such. Didn't anyone ever tell you that you couldn't do something when you were growing up?

Re diabetics, they have and can provide proof of their medical condition to the satisfaction of any inquiring cop. You, on the other hand, will try to make any a confrontation into a test of wills, just to prove your point. I can tell you one thing, in a test of wills between you and a cop ready to hand you a summons, my money is on the guy with the badge.

I have a problem with ridiculous regulations being enacted. Eating a candy bar isnt the same as eating a messy meal on the train, and the idiots who come up with these rules in the first place should know better.

my problem isnt with the cops, they just have to go with it. They dont make the laws they just follow em.

And thirdly, you dont know me, so dont assume you know what im going to do in a situation.

Why are you ranting against young people?:confused: Basically, you are offending people who represent a majority group on this forum. And besides, who are you to tell him to 'manage his time'?

Wassa matta, the truth hurts? I think that i was dead on in identifying the particular demographic which is bothered by the possibilty of a no eating ban. I'm free to say whatever I please without making specific comments directed at specific individuals. I could tell him anything I want. That doesn't mean he has to listen to me. Look junior, don't think that you, or anyone else possessing your limited life experiences, has done things which nobody else has. That's the advantage of being older than you, or anyone else you're referring to. Been there, done that and then some.

My my my, feeling high and mighty aren't we?

I take responsibility for my actions, I know what's right and what isn't. If you must target someone, please look at the litterbugs that don't know how to clean up for themselves on the subway. I couldn't care less about someone with food on the train as long as they take their trash with them, end of story!

I know about the chicken bones

I know about the stray bags left laying around

The plastic and glass bottles that roll about

Yeah. If anything, they should enforce fines on littering if people are so worried about rats.

I can't care about your schedule and how it "kills" mine. All I care about is when I choose to do something like eat on the run I have the decency to clean up after myself. If I text I have the decency to be out of the way of other people so I'm not obstructing sidewalk traffic. So take your opinion and shove it up your ass...pal.

Hit a nerve with the texting reference, huh? Must've had a bad day at your part-time gig workin in the mailroom. Let's see...

25 years old.......

still in school......

you're either

a) developmentally disabled; or

:) a professional student

If you qualify as the former, don't worry. When you take the time to reminicse, you'll realize that Fifth grade were the best four years of your life. If you have problems comprehending words of more than two syllables, let me know.

If you identify with the latter, it indicates a refusal to face the challenges and responsibilities of adulthood by clinging to the relatively resposibility-free and safe environment found in school. A man-child! Still live at home? Oops! I hear a phone ringing! You better pull that blackberry out of your ass, son. The folks probably want to know if you're still going to make it to Chuck E. Cheese for dinner.

Hit a nerve with the texting reference, huh? Must've had a bad day at your part-time gig workin in the mailroom. Let's see...

25 years old.......

still in school......

you're either

If you qualify as the former, don't worry. When you take the time to reminicse, you'll realize that Fifth grade were the best four years of your life. If you have problems comprehending words of more than two syllables, let me know.

If you identify with the latter, it indicates a refusal to face the challenges and responsibilities of adulthood by clinging to the relatively resposibility-free and safe environment found in school. A man-child! Still live at home? Oops! I hear a phone ringing! You better pull that blackberry out of your ass, son. The folks probably want to know if you're still going to make it to Chuck E. Cheese for dinner.

Okay, you give us young people a job that can enable us to move the hell out of our parents' houses!

We have to bust our asses just to get somewhere in life these days because of how screwed up this country is! I ALREADY know! I refuse to be another mindless drone in this society working for scraps! I'm going to work to get what I deserve, and if it means going to school EVEN in my 20s, then SO BE IT.

25 years old.......

still in school......

you're either

LMAO You're full of it old timer. But it's OK. I can forgive senility. Also considering you're the one misspelling things that have more than two syllables I'd watch where you take your replies or learn how to do "that spell check thing" before you take a stab at my vocab. I troubleshoot computers all the time so I could teach you, assuming you aren't completely set in your ways.

You haven't hit a nerve at all. I just enjoy scraping the floor with people who ride horses as high as yours. Might wanna watch that you don't fall off. Wouldn't want you to break a hip. But I'm sorry I should respect my elders right? Should I address you as sir at the end of each sentence? Or is it ok for me to address you by name, Joe!

My my my, feeling high and mighty aren't we?

I take responsibility for my actions, I know what's right and what isn't. If you must target someone, please look at the litterbugs that don't know how to clean up for themselves on the subway. I couldn't care less about someone with food on the train as long as they take their trash with them, end of story!

I know about the chicken bones

I know about the stray bags left laying around

The plastic and glass bottles that roll about

Yeah. If anything, they should enforce fines on littering if people are so worried about rats.

I was making general observations about a particular demographic. If you, or anbody else, feel that you are being targeted and identify with certain comments I made, well, if the shoe fits.............only a self absorbed narcissist would actually believe that a general statement is specifically about them.

Archived