Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
mark1447

Car Ban Proposed for Central, Prospect Parks

The City Council will consider new legislation that would ban cars from Central Park and Prospect Park in a move to free up space and keep walkers, joggers and bikers safe.

The legislation, introduced Wednesday by Councilwoman Gale Brewer, would ban traffic from the six-mile loop in Central Park and the inside loop of Prospect Park.

Currently motor vehicle traffic is only allowed in Prospect Park from 7 a.m. to 9 a.m and 5 p.m. to 7 p.m.

"There is always a challenge of safety in the park, even in the off hours," Brewer said. "It's like Grand Central station in terms of joggers, bikers, skateboarders, online skaters and cars."

Brewer's proposal cites a recent study performed by the transportation advocacy group Transportation Alternatives that found that traffic volume in Central Park is at an all-time low while recreational demands are on the rise.

The new legislation comes as police in Central Park have been ticketing cyclists who don't stop at traffic lights.

Brewer's legislation calls for a traffic study in both parks to determine the "effects, if any, of the closing of the respective loop drives."

Results of that study will be available no later than Dec. 31, 2011, Brewer said.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/City-Pol-Wants-to-Ban-Cars-in-Central-Prospect-Parks-118513869.html

The new legislation comes as police in Central Park have been ticketing cyclists who don't stop at traffic lights.

Ha ha ha, I love that. I bet there are a lot of pissed off ******** because of that (a good thing.)

I really don't see the point of them doing this. Instead of bending over backwards for 'joggers and cyclists', maybe they could just leave the loops for cars alone. I mean really, this is yet another example of the NYC nanny state gone wild.:tdown:

I really don't see the point of them doing this. Instead of bending over backwards for 'joggers and cyclists', maybe they could just leave the loops for cars alone. I mean really, this is yet another example of the NYC nanny state gone wild.:tdown:

yes yes yes, them joggers and biker menaces can go on the sidewalk where they belong

Cars should really be prohibited from all but certain roadways in parks (the transverses).

It is illegal to ride your bicycle on the sidewalk in NYC.

Its legal if your a kid, i don't think there is a law about kids riding bikes in the street. For adult I still see people operating there bikes on the sidewalks even when cops are around.

Edited by mark1447
cops not caps* lulz

Its legal if your a kid, i don't think there is a law about kids riding bikes in the street. For adult I still see people operating there bikes on the sidewalks even when caps are around.

If a child is under the age of twelve then its no issue. For everyone else the law says go into the street. And just because its seldom enforced doesn't make it legal nor right.

I think this is stupid. Cars have been going through the park for years, what's the problem now? My grandfather would drive through there to take my grandmother to work and I went with them a few times and it was beautiful. Cars and bikes have been co-existing in those streets for years and I think it's pointless get rid of cars from the parks. The streets surrounding the park are going to be even more jammed if this happens. I tell you this city is going down the drain faster than the (A) train going down CPW.

Edited by Princelex

I hope they ban cars from Central Park!

I love bike riding there, and its annoying when I don't have open space to bike ride and have to ride in the crowded bike lane :P.

Want to make parks safe for joggers/walkers/runners? Ban the bikes from leaving the bike lanes and start ticketing the hell out of the ones that bike in the runners' lanes. Last I checked the cars aren't driving in the bike lanes but the bikers always think the rules don't apply to them...

Hell every time I walk the Manny B there's a bike on the "wrong side" of the bridge.

Time to go after these jerks.

As long as the branch bends a few spokes, their wheel will be shit after that.

When east drive is closed on weekend, yellow cab or car service taking passengers to Boathouse Restaurant must enter at East 72nd St entrance and must exit at East 90th St exit.

BoatHouse Restaurant operates trolley bus service.

Pickup: BoatHouse Parking Lot

Drop off/Pickup

East 90th St exit at East Drive

5th Av/80th St

East 72nd St entrance/East Drive

Drop Off: BoatHouse Parking Lot.

Here's map.

[GMAPS]<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=201703423907676287259.00049f4604b2a7368749c&ll=40.778849,-73.967857&spn=0.045496,0.072956&z=13&output=embed"></iframe><br /><small>View <a href="http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=201703423907676287259.00049f4604b2a7368749c&ll=40.778849,-73.967857&spn=0.045496,0.072956&z=13&source=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">Boathouse Trolley</a> in a larger map</small>[/GMAPS]

I hope they ban cars from Central Park!

I love bike riding there, and its annoying when I don't have open space to bike ride and have to ride in the crowded bike lane :P.

Well find another area in the park to ride your bike or just suck it up. There's a reason why there are streets in Central Park and I'm 99.9% sure it's NOT because of bicycles.

It should be restricted to authorized vehicles such as emergency vehicle.

If it became car free, motorists with Boathouse Restaurant appointment or going to restaurant should follow same rule as yellow median cab.

Drivers who go on West Drive could use CPW, or Columbus Av-Broadway.

I think this is stupid. Cars have been going through the park for years, what's the problem now? My grandfather would drive through there to take my grandmother to work and I went with them a few times and it was beautiful. Cars and bikes have been co-existing in those streets for years and I think it's pointless get rid of cars from the parks. The streets surrounding the park are going to be even more jammed if this happens. I tell you this city is going down the drain faster than the (A) train going down CPW.

Could not say it any better bro.:tup: 'If ain't broke don't fix it.' Cars are only allowed in Central and Prospect Parks during rush hours only. It takes off traffic from nearby 5th/Madison and Central Park West and for Propsect Park it takes traffic off Flatbush, Ocean and PPW.

Bikers and Joggers still have the parks all other times.

While i support to a point the Mayor encouraging New Yorkers to use their bike w/ bike lanes, this is going too far. When I still lived in Brooklyn and occasionally had to drive my late Father to Doctor's Appointments in Downtown Brooklyn(he could no longer drive a decade ago due to health problems)driving in Propspect Park saved alot of time getting to Ocean Parkway or CI Avenue.

So in a word this is not a great idea by Council Member Brewer and others who support this proposal IMO.:tdown:

It should be restricted to authorized vehicles such as emergency vehicle.

If it became car free, motorists with Boathouse Restaurant appointment or going to restaurant should follow same rule as yellow median cab.

Drivers who go on West Drive could use CPW, or Columbus Av-Broadway.

Disagree Yuki. You listening to enviormentals and others too much. You need to start looking at the whole picture and make your own decisions.

upon reading the thread title, I thought this included the transverse roads.... I was about to go IN, if that were the case....

as far as prospect park, I seldom see anyone driving through there anyway....

Agreed. It's bad enough they've been taking away car lanes like on Allen st, etc., but they also want more 'rights' for bikers? With all this shit, the DMV should have all bicycle owners register their bikes. Make it easier for the pedestrians or cars some of those bastards cuts off to identify if they cause an accident.