Question about the DesignLine Buses

Guest MTA Bus

Guest MTA Bus

According to wikipedia.org, the MTA had to take these buses out of service because of problems with the microturbine. Then, the MTA retired them eariler this year. I don't know if this is ture or not, so can anbody tell me is this ture ?

Guest MTA Bus

In December, 2010, I saw an Designline on the M42, so i rode it to Circle Line. Then, I walked over to Quill and I saw that same bus in a line of buses pulling into the depot. I never thought my first ride on the DesignLine would be my only ride on it.

It's true. They were sent off this month. The regenerative systems didn't recharge the batteries after doing a run over the RFK causing it to eventually fail.

The MTA is about to give up on "Hybrid" buses period until technology progresses further. The fact is that not even the Orion VII is a true hybrid b/c it cannot operate for more than a couple seconds on the battery alone. and the fact that the fuel mileage is worse than the tried and true TMC/Nova RTS is just leaving behind a really bad taste

The MTA is about to give up on "Hybrid" buses period until technology progresses further. The fact is that not even the Orion VII is a true hybrid b/c it cannot operate for more than a couple seconds on the battery alone. and the fact that the fuel mileage is worse than the tried and true TMC/Nova RTS is just leaving behind a really bad taste

Where is your proof that MTA is about to give up on hybrids?

Where is your proof that MTA is about to give up on hybrids?

Over the summer, someone on "the other board" posted about how the MTA wants to focus on ordering more Diesel/CNG buses and less hybrid buses (link).

A diesel bus is cheaper than a hybrid bus, but it doesn't seem that the MTA is giving up on hybrids per se, but more rather they are just going to order smaller quantities from this point forward.

Over the summer, someone on "the other board" posted about how the MTA wants to focus on ordering more Diesel/CNG buses and less hybrid buses (link).

A diesel bus is cheaper than a hybrid bus, but it doesn't seem that the MTA is giving up on hybrids per se, but more rather they are just going to order smaller quantities from this point forward.

There might be some truth to this.It seems that the new buses to arrive this year is less Hybrid and more diesel and CNG.Just ask the depots with hybrids what they think.Diesel is good if its burned the right way.Here in CT,CT transit uses biodiesel on all of its buses.Very clean indeed.

There might be some truth to this.It seems that the new buses to arrive this year is less Hybrid and more diesel and CNG.Just ask the depots with hybrids what they think.Diesel is good if its burned the right way.Here in CT,CT transit uses biodiesel on all of its buses.Very clean indeed.

How is biodiesel different from regular diesel and hybrids?

How is biodiesel different from regular diesel and hybrids?

From Wikipedia: Biodiesel refers to a vegetable oil- or animal fat-based diesel fuel.

Its kinda similar to ethanol but more pure slightly more powerful and not always mixed with oil based products. Now there is ULSD (ultra-low-sulfur-diesel) which is a very clean diesel yet not as clean as bio or pure ethanol but has the power of diesel.

Archived