An Option about the R142s

Guest MTA Bus

Guest MTA Bus

The MTA should have made the R142s have the F.I.N.D System found on the R160s. If the R142s had the F.I.N.D system, then

1. The R142s could run on any I.R.T route without changing the strip map.

2. The R142s could run on the (1), (3), or even the (7).

3. It would better understanding for passengers.

This is an interesting idea and has been discussed before.However the original isn't bad and 99% of the time they're on and working blinking at the correct location except when R-142's with (2) strip maps are on the (5) or vice versa it may blink at the wrong location b\c its not on that route but as long as the announcements are working and clear its not a problem.In the B-division its different.But in the IRT it won't be such a big deal since there hasn't been any MAJOR changes its been stable for a while.And they're used to it already but in the B-division people freak out if or when they see a re-routed train such as a (R) via 6th Av or (F) via 8th Av or (E) via 6th Av in the IRT there's not much re-routes except the 2 over the 5 or vice versa.I highly doubt there will be a (4) or (6) on 7th Av/Broadway not impossible but it can happen samething with the (1) or (3).

I would love to see FINDs on the cars! its annoying to be on the (2) or (5), and the train has the other's strip map so I don't know how many stops away my stop is! :mad:.

The (4) though is the only line that doesn't need them, since most of the time the (4) doesn't share its sets with any other line.

its annoying to be on the (2) or (5), and the train has the other's strip map so I don't know how many stops away my stop is! :mad:.

You can get a subway map from the token booth, 347 Madison Ave or something or just simply look @ the map on the subway car like the non railfan customers do.

You can get a subway map from the token booth, 347 Madison Ave or something or just simply look @ the map on the subway car like the non railfan customers do.

right. open up a huge map on a crowded subway train. very helpful :P.

I have my own subway maps (come to think of it I need to upgrade, Im still using a 2007 map ;)).

then again I could finish that little book with all the subway stops in it... It would be helpful for planning railfan trips...:)

Really now? What is so hard about listening to announcements?

BTW, the original plans on the R160s was for them to have strip maps

right. open up a huge map on a crowded subway train. very helpful :P.

I have my own subway maps (come to think of it I need to upgrade, Im still using a 2007 map ;)).

then again I could finish that little book with all the subway stops in it... It would be helpful for planning railfan trips...:)

There's 2 maps in every single subway car (not counting the FINDs, or strip maps)...start reading

Exactly. It's the New York City Subway Map that partially helped me learn english when I was young. Reading helps your brain grow. Relying on someone else no. This is why our nation is so lazy. Instead of taking a flight of stairs they rely on the escalator, or elevator. When they are broken then they use the stairs. Besides it's the same as reading running up stairs are good for you.

I do think the MTA should install FINDs on the Unionport & 239s R142s.

Would be costly to install, not sure if it's worth the cost. Even though the (2)(5) swaps often. At least the extreme ends of Brooklyn and the Bronx are the same stops, Manhattan being the major difference.

I heard the R142's and R142A's are going to get them as soon as the R188's come in.

Still think it is doubtful. If it does happen, then probably for the R142As that would be sent to the (7). Otherwise, I don't think it's really worth it.

Archived