The (L) To Jamaica

3rd Avenue El

Oh because the (MTA) has so much money to build express tracks on the Canarsie Line...

Even if they had such a surplus of money to build express tracks on the line, it's just not feasible seeing how crowded the (L) is. It would definitely be helpful, but the media outrage, price, and overall mess that such a project would bring about isn't worth the trouble.

The best you'll get is skip-stop service similar to what the (J) has.

In terms of delays...they'll be astronomical. 5 subway services on anything is suicide.

The only chance of anything like this happening if it is 2am-4am and the train is in work service or a yard move.

Oh because the (MTA) has so much money to build express tracks on the Canarsie Line...

Even if they had such a surplus of money to build express tracks on the line, it's just not feasible seeing how crowded the (L) is. It would definitely be helpful, but the media outrage, price, and overall mess that such a project would bring about isn't worth the trouble.

The best you'll get is skip-stop service similar to what the (J) has.

how would the skip stop (L) work? how does skip stop service work anyway?

Intresting idea however the LIRR Bay Ridge Branch still carries freight, and thus is a railroad. You can't have a subway line share the same ROW as a railroad line. How about rebuilding the entire Canarsie Line between Graham Avenue, and Dekalb Avenue into a straight line, and increase the tracks to four. That is my idea so don't steal it.

The Bay Ridge branch only OCCASIONAL uses freight. So it would be possible that way.

Time for more of my 2 cents...

The reason why the (L) was built stacked like that by Wilson Av was cuz the freight tracks was built there first. Besides, the connection the (L) had to the freight line was removed years ago

...Just what the system needs.... the killing off of subway service along a whole corridor in Manhattan (case you don't see it, that's 14th st... forgot about that too in your master plan huh), for another subway line to Jamaica...

....because brooklynites (namely, Canarsie-ans) have so much time to kill in regards to their commutes, that taking the nassau st line from Broadway Junction to Jamaica Ctr...

As a daily (L) rider who uses it to get to/from work, I offer this statement...

F**K I LOOK LIKE!!!!!

I'll be damned if I have to take the (M) train from Myrtle-Wyckoff to Essex St then hop on the SBS up to 25 St (all while passing the (L)) just to get to work when the (L) is the quickest way there.

The reason why the (L) was built stacked like that by Wilson Av was cuz the freight tracks was built there first. Besides, the connection the (L) had to the freight line was removed years ago

F**K I LOOK LIKE!!!!!

I'll be damned if I have to take the (M) train from Myrtle-Wyckoff to Essex St then hop on the SBS up to 25 St (all while passing the (L)) just to get to work when the (L) is the quickest way there.

Well said fellow (L) rider :cool:

Why would you send the (L) to Jamaica Ctr? I know the (MTA) has made some dumb decisions over the years, but I know they'd have to drink a lot henny to think of that idea

Yep, when they torn down the J from Jamaica Ave /168th st in 77.

S/F,

CEYA!

Ok. So I am pretty sure that everyone has made the point clear that the (L) will NOT run with the (J) , (M) & (Z). First off, it would be WAYYYYY to crowded on the 6th ave line and Queens BLVD line. And, what would happen to the canarsie line? It's not gunna get closed because of all the people who rely on it. And the MTA most certainly won't run a shuttle from 14st to Rockaway Parkway. AND, since you mentioned the (E) , if people wanted the (E) From the (L) they would take the (L) to 14st and transfer.

So the (L) via Queens BLVD Is a Definate no go.

I Rest My Case. Thank you.

F**K I LOOK LIKE!!!!!

yeah aight lil homie, but...

I don't see what this has to do with my post....

you post that as if I'm advocating this guy's bullshit....

What I was trying to say I that why should an entire trunk line be abandoned then rerouted to another already crowded 2 trunk lines when the trunk line in question is one of the busiest

Seems to me like you got way into this thread. This is just some shyt storm idea cooked up by someone with nothing to do.

That idea isn't the smartest one out there, however:

What I do think needs to be looked at is to re-build the tracks on the unused (but still partially existing) platforms at Atlantic Avenue (including possibly the old Snediker Av. platform that is still there because the entrance is), which would allow for the following:

The (L) to be truncated to Atlantic Avenue during at least peak periods, using the middle tracks of what would go back to being at least a four-track, two-island platform station that can be a terminal for the (L), while at the same time allowing for a new service from the Broadway-Brooklyn line (either via Nassau Street, 6th or 8th Avenue OR once it gets built down to Houston the SAS) to Manhattan (with such a new line possibly getting the (K) designation). This would allow for a cross-platform transfer (in most instances) to and from the Canarsie line from the new (K) train while at the same time, the (L) can better serve those along the much more heavily used portion of the line (there also can be a limited number of (L) trains from Canarsie during rush-hours). During overnights and other times when there isn't as much train traffic, the (K) and (L) can both terminate at Canarsie.

like i have said. it was fictional it would never occur. did you not read the first post thing i posted it clearly said it was fictional and would never happen.

Fictional ideas are fine as long as they are realistic. You missed the part about realism.

That idea isn't the smartest one out there, however:

What I do think needs to be looked at is to re-build the tracks on the unused (but still partially existing) platforms at Atlantic Avenue (including possibly the old Snediker Av. platform that is still there because the entrance is), which would allow for the following:

The (L) to be truncated to Atlantic Avenue during at least peak periods, using the middle tracks of what would go back to being at least a four-track, two-island platform station that can be a terminal for the (L), while at the same time allowing for a new service from the Broadway-Brooklyn line (either via Nassau Street, 6th or 8th Avenue OR once it gets built down to Houston the SAS) to Manhattan (with such a new line possibly getting the (K) designation). This would allow for a cross-platform transfer (in most instances) to and from the Canarsie line from the new (K) train while at the same time, the (L) can better serve those along the much more heavily used portion of the line (there also can be a limited number of (L) trains from Canarsie during rush-hours). During overnights and other times when there isn't as much train traffic, the (K) and (L) can both terminate at Canarsie.

Oh, so like the old 70(K) train? That would be interesting, but it begs the question...where would IT terminate? 34th St (Layup)? 168th? 145th? Place your bets!

I admit, when I first saw the title, I thought it meant connecting the (L) tracks to the eastbound Jamaica EL and running via the (J)/(Z) to Jamaica, not the (E). Clearly I had some excess foam in my eyes.

Since this is a forum of what ifs, etc. Here's my thought....

How about alternating some J and L trains at Broadway Junction to each others routes into Manhattan.

Was there ever a time in the distant past when this did happen?

It would give more one seat ride options to the riders of both routes, without having to squeeze any additional trains into the system.

Oh, so like the old 70(K) train? That would be interesting, but it begs the question...where would IT terminate? 34th St (Layup)? 168th? 145th? Place your bets!

I admit, when I first saw the title, I thought it meant connecting the (L) tracks to the eastbound Jamaica EL and running via the (J)/(Z) to Jamaica, not the (E). Clearly I had some excess foam in my eyes.

Most likely for now, it would be via the Nassau Street line to Chambers or Broad Street, and unlike the old (M) as a 24/7 line from Rockaway Parkway, although the line could also possibly operate in place of the (M) from Myrtle Avenue-71st/Continental (instead of Chambers) in the overnights and on weekends.

Regardless, that would be until the SAS reached Houston street. Once that happened, the line would operate via the SAS to wherever that line's northern terminal is.

Wait so you are asking to create a Second Avenue Subway service that would go on to the Williamsburg Bridge, and run down the Nassau Street Line, and branch off, and run with the (L) to Canarsie. If you are saying that then your plan was proposed in the 1950's, but was never built, and as proof I would post a picture below.

2av-1951_LES.jpg

The (L) line is what you would call "land-locked" or pretty close to it, its only connection to the rest of the system is at Broadway Junction. I guess you can count the LIRR connection also in ENY. This is one of the primary reasons why it was first to undergo CBTC, it doesn't share any tracks with any other routes, and its of relatively of a decent testing length.

No other trains will share tracks with the (L) line until the remainder of the system goes through CBTC conversion, which will be done roughly in the next 30-40 years (and thats the MTA's projection..so it will probably take longer)

The only REALISTIC, and OPERATIONALLY FEASIBLE changes that probably will ever be made to the (L) line is

-Introduction of skip-stop service, which is feasible, especially if the entire line is under CBTC, however additional pocket tracks/sidings would need to be installed to allow for operational flexibility.

-If ridership ever warranted, one of the Nassau St lines could go to Canarsie, but the benefits of such a service in correlation to the additional work that would need to be done to support the operation would be minuscule. If trains along the Jamaica line needed to be turned midway, Broadway Junction or Crescent St/Cypress Hills would be much more attractive as opposed to sending trains to an existing 2-track terminal in Canarsie. Broadway Junction and Crescent St both have additional tracks to turn trains without interfering with through service. The Southern Portion of the Canarsie line, does not.

Any other proposals are/would be a stretch. Theres no reason the (L) needs to go to Jamaica, the Archer Ave subway itself is operationally flawed, adding an additional train would only further compound the problem.

The Second Ave Subway HAD the potential to dramatically change the way the entire systems routes are operated, however, since its been reduced to a 2-track line (which itself seems like its going to be pretty much landlocked, with one connection the 63rd street line) the ability of routes to feed that line will be very limited.

Archived