The (L) To Jamaica

3rd Avenue El

Thinking about it further, I suppose the "land-locked" routes sort of have an advantage of being semi-isolated, as far as quality of service goes, provided of course that the line is well managed and operated.

I guess the 7 line is sort of similar in that the only track connection is at Queensboro Plaza and with the other division to boot, that can't even run its trains on the 7 line.

If I'm not mistaken, both the L and the 7 lines consistently rank near the top in customer evaluations.

Thinking about it further, I suppose the "land-locked" routes sort of have an advantage of being semi-isolated, as far as quality of service goes, provided of course that the line is well managed and operated.

I guess the 7 line is sort of similar in that the only track connection is at Queensboro Plaza and with the other division to boot, that can't even run its trains on the 7 line.

If I'm not mistaken, both the L and the 7 lines consistently rank near the top in customer evaluations.

Land Locked routes do provide an advantage in which no other trains interfere with the operation, many delays come from converging/diverging moves that throw off headway patterns and if anything is late or behind schedule it has a cascade effect...there are other reasons as well, but thats one of the primary ones.

An example I can think of that I go through personally whenver Im back home is the (F)...which runs fine from 179st until it gets to Union Turnpike...thats where problems begin do we hold the (F) for the (E) thats already late?, do we let the late (E) go before the (F)??, or do we need the (F) at Forest Hills before the (E) (in which the (E) will sit at Kew Gardens until the (F) makes it 75th Ave stop and THEN cross in front of it at 71st)...and the questions go on-and on and on...by the time the dispatchers are done arguing about whats what, both the (E) and (F) are sitting at the station with other (E) and (F) trains behind them, keep in mind those out of slot (E) and (F) trains have other routes they have to converge with once they reach Manhattan. CBTC is supposed to partially if not entirely fix this problem.

Land Locked routes do provide an advantage in which no other trains interfere with the operation, many delays come from converging/diverging moves that throw off headway patterns and if anything is late or behind schedule it has a cascade effect...there are other reasons as well, but thats one of the primary ones.

An example I can think of that I go through personally whenver Im back home is the (F)...which runs fine from 179st until it gets to Union Turnpike...thats where problems begin do we hold the (F) for the (E) thats already late?, do we let the late (E) go before the (F)??, or do we need the (F) at Forest Hills before the (E) (in which the (E) will sit at Kew Gardens until the (F) makes it 75th Ave stop and THEN cross in front of it at 71st)...and the questions go on-and on and on...by the time the dispatchers are done arguing about whats what, both the (E) and (F) are sitting at the station with other (E) and (F) trains behind them, keep in mind those out of slot (E) and (F) trains have other routes they have to converge with once they reach Manhattan. CBTC is supposed to partially if not entirely fix this problem.

I think when you leave things up to people, you expect common sense to make service good for all, but apparently it's not the case. CBTC, if it replaces people, will have to be designed without the same biases (e.g. favored line). The Broadway line is notorious for flagrant nonsensical stuff from Atlantic Avenue-Pacific Street to 34 Street-Herald Square. What should be first-come-first-serve indeed turns into a cascade of delays affecting the (:P(D)(Q)(N)(R).

Archived