BERA rate hike

Amtrak7

Apparently these sneaked in without me knowing:

• Adult is now $9, child $5, senior $7
  • Guest Operator for a trolley remains $50
  • Guest operator for a subway car becomes $60

Also the guest operator weekends have been moved to mid-month, and there are now online reservations.

Also the guest operator weekends have been moved to mid-month, and there are now online reservations.

Can you please tell me what is BERA?:confused: Not everyone knows the letters of all of the mass transit in metro NY and across the USA.

Also Amtrak a link would be nice as well.

There will be a new and improved program this season with better tours and more frequent service along the line, as well as new exhibit signage to be rolled out later in the year and new content. Also subway cars cost more to run than trolleys so the costs will be adjusted accordingly for guest operators. However it is still worth it to do! When I first came up to do it, I paid full freight and so did a lot of other people who now volunteer at the place!

Come up, behave and be social and maybe you'll even get a private tour of the place from one of the BERA staff...lots of cool stuff to see.

Don't forget the $60 guest operator price also includes a membership to BERA which is necessary to run the cars (there IS a serious reason for this but I won't go into it here). Anyway, those who want to do it more than once in the same year, it costs less the second, third, etc. time...it costs only $40 because you already have a membership.

There will be a new and improved program this season with better tours and more frequent service along the line, as well as new exhibit signage to be rolled out later in the year and new content.

Interesting with the increased service, I guess the fee increase will also pay for track time that would otherwise be used for revenue service!

There will be a new and improved program this season with better tours and more frequent service along the line, as well as new exhibit signage to be rolled out later in the year and new content. Also subway cars cost more to run than trolleys so the costs will be adjusted accordingly for guest operators. However it is still worth it to do! When I first came up to do it, I paid full freight and so did a lot of other people who now volunteer at the place!

Come up, behave and be social and maybe you'll even get a private tour of the place from one of the BERA staff...lots of cool stuff to see.

Don't forget the $60 guest operator price also includes a membership to BERA which is necessary to run the cars (there IS a serious reason for this but I won't go into it here). Anyway, those who want to do it more than once in the same year, it costs less the second, third, etc. time...it costs only $40 because you already have a membership.

Will they still do the guest operator during non operator days if I call ahead?

Will they still do the guest operator during non operator days if I call ahead?

For trolley cars, yes.

For subway cars, yes, but only on weekends.

We are evaluating an electronic guest operator signup system to make sure everyone gets a turn and that people who have somewhere to be later in the day can reserve a morning slot. This will be noted and publishes (and I will pass the information along also) if it comes to pass.

I got no prob paying for it but BERA needs to let Guest ops take more turns if there is nobody really there .

One payment = one trip. It's not fair that two people would pay the same amount under your system but one would get more handle time than another just because the day that person came had less other guest ops.

If you want to run additional trips, you can pay for more, or if you are serious about volunteering, you can take operator training and qualify on the trolleys. After you run for the public consistently in the trolley, as a reward, the RT crews may (at their discretion) take you out for a free bonus trip on a subway car after public operations have concluded.

*The second part of this post is solely addressed to Knightrider...if anyone else responds to that part of the post I will not reply...in other words, don't bother me lemmings...

Archived