Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
EE Broadway Local

If The (5) Ever Was Extended Late Nights

In 1998, the (6) was restored to Brooklyn Bridge, then in 2008, the (3) was restored and runs Harlem-148th Street to Times Square-42d Street.

If the (5) ever was extended late nights, which might make a good terminal: 1. East 149th Street-Grand Concourse 2. East Harlem-125th Street 3. Grand Central-42d Street?

i say 149th street grand concourse upper level. the (5) can use the (4) middle track as layup on the northbound middle track past grand concourse. the (5) can come in on the (4) northbound track and let the passengers off at the station then switch onto the middle track and keep going until the portal and use the middle track as a relay track to return to manhattan. the if theres a (5) on the relay track then another (5) can come in on the middle track at grand concourse so there would be no problem causing delays and what not. the middle track at grand concourse can fit 2 trains. one at the station and one on the relay track north of the station it would be a perfect terminal for the (5) just like the terminal the (W) had at whitehall street before it was discontinued.

I say Grand Central-42nd Street on the Uptown and The Bronx express platform....damn Lexington Avenue Line need some type of express service and a one seat ride to Eastchester-Dyre Avenue!

i say 149th street grand concourse upper level. the (5) can use the (4) middle track as layup on the northbound middle track past grand concourse. the (5) can come in on the (4) northbound track and let the passengers off at the station then switch onto the middle track and keep going until the portal and use the middle track as a relay track to return to manhattan. the if theres a (5) on the relay track then another (5) can come in on the middle track at grand concourse so there would be no problem causing delays and what not. the middle track at grand concourse can fit 2 trains. one at the station and one on the relay track north of the station it would be a perfect terminal for the (5) just like the terminal the (W) had at whitehall street before it was discontinued.

There's no way (5) trains from the Bronx can access 149-GC (4) platform without doubling back...I say Grand Central since (4) trains are local anyway

But then again, extending the (5) past 180 Sty defeats the purpose of OPTO up there

There's no way (5) trains from the Bronx can access 149-GC (4) platform without doubling back...I say Grand Central since (4) trains are local anyway

But then again, extending the (5) past 180 Sty defeats the purpose of OPTO up there

149th, the (5) could technically wrong rail on the lower level [doesn't need to go to the (4) platform at all] to return back north in the bronx, but I don't think that would be advisable even late at night. It would be best to send it to at least 125th or Grand central.

Grand Central would be better, it gives the East Side corridor express service at night.

125 St. There's really no point to go to 42 St, as the (4)(6) are other options to Grand Central as well.

There is a point....(4) and (6) are local and the (5) can be express. So riders who need an Uptown (5) to Eastchester-Dyre Avenue can have a one seat ride vs taking a (4) local to 149th Street-Grand Concourse to the (2) to East 180th Street for the (5)!

You sure about that?

Express is a luxury especially late at night [not counting GOs]. The only reason for express runs are: (F) in Queens - long line; (D) on 6th Av - not practical to double switch for 2 stops; if the locals are already 'crush load' and the express offering the extra capacity.

Express is a luxury especially late at night [not counting GOs]. The only reason for express runs are: (F) in Queens - long line; (D) on 6th Av - not practical to double switch for 2 stops; if the locals are already 'crush load' and the express offering the extra capacity.

You forgot that the (D) runs 24/7 as CPW Express not counting GO's.

Personally if the west side can have semi-express service overnights w/ the

(3)between Times Sq and 148th, why can't the (5)?

IMO the (5)Overnight terminal should be either 125th/Lex or Grand Central.

It elimantes the need for double(2x)transfer from the (4) and (2)at both

149th-Concourse and 180th Street.

The (2)can be SRO late at night especially Friday/Saturday Nights well into the wee hours. This (5) extension could occur when the budget crisis ends.

wait are we talking about the (5) bronx bound or (5) manhattan bound because if its manhattan bound my idea sucks.

(5) is late night shuttle to E. 180th St, so it's it's Manhattan-bound direction.

I rather take an express via late nights than long crush load local train.....its really annoying sitting and/or standing on a packed local train when you want a somewhat faster ride home!

You forgot that the (D) runs 24/7 as CPW Express not counting GO's.

Personally if the west side can have semi-express service overnights w/ the

(3)between Times Sq and 148th, why can't the (5)?

IMO the (5)Overnight terminal should be either 125th/Lex or Grand Central.

It elimantes the need for double(2x)transfer from the (4) and (2)at both

149th-Concourse and 180th Street.

The (2)can be SRO late at night especially Friday/Saturday Nights well into the wee hours. This (5) extension could occur when the budget crisis ends.

With the budget cuts, the (3) should've been cut back to 135th or the bus replacing those stops.

I rather take an express via late nights than long crush load local train.....its really annoying sitting and/or standing on a packed local train when you want a somewhat faster ride home!

Well of course if you [general] have the choice, you'd rather take the express [so would I]. But I still stand by my point of it being a luxury if the trains are NOT crush loaded. If the local service is at 10min headways vs 20-30min headways for the express, that's where I'd rather take the local.

The (5) can run to Mott Ave, head up and relay on the 138th Middle track and back up. They do it sometimes when its a snow storm for the (S).

42nd Street seems like a good idea, but that would mean the lower level of the IRT Lex Line would have to be re-opened for late nights. On another note OPTO is currently on the (5)(S) at night.

What I would do tho, is have the (5) run local on the Lex Line to Brooklyn Bridge and Loop while the (4) does 24/7 Express on the Lex line, since its a long line. Cut the stops.

West Side IRT, id extend the (3) to 42nd Street, then have it relay at 42nd Street..

Only express runs during late night is the (D) via 6th and 8th Ave Exp(CPW/St. Nich Exp), (Q) Broadway Exp BMT, (F) Queens Blvd Exp and (3) Bway Exp IRT

I say the (5) should end at Grand Central since it will be similar to the (3) ending at Times Square. Plus for some of the reasons mentioned, it will help the (4) and (6).

In Manhattan every line has express service at some point of the line at night...for the Eighth Avenue/Central Park West AND Sixth Avenue it's the (D), for the IRT West Side it's the (3), for Broadway it's the (Q), but for Lexington Avenue, the heaviest-used corridor in the system, there's...nothing.