If The (5) Ever Was Extended Late Nights

okay now that its been clarified the (5) is manhattan bound i agree that the terminal should be 149th street grand concourse lower level. its the perfect terminal. only thing is cancelling some (2) train runs to allow time for the (5) to stop discharge passengers pick up passengers and changing of the crew and switching back to the uptown track. but its perfect. and both the (5) tracks going out of grand concourse can be used as layup tracks.

I say the (5) should end at Grand Central since it will be similar to the (3) ending at Times Square. Plus for some of the reasons mentioned, it will help the (4) and (6).

In Manhattan every line has express service at some point of the line at night...for the Eighth Avenue/Central Park West AND Sixth Avenue it's the (D), for the IRT West Side it's the (3), for Broadway it's the (Q), but for Lexington Avenue, the heaviest-used corridor in the system, there's...nothing.

Thank you very much.....my point exactly!

I've delt with that (4) to the (2) to the (5). Its not fun. There would be nights im coming from friends house in Brooklyn and had the option of the (2) and I thought about it and said there is no way im sitting on a (2) local in Brooklyn then along 7th Av and then to deal with those stops after 96th to 135th and then again to East 180th. Lexington Av is a faster local then 7th Av.

I would love for the (5) to run to Grand Central late night from Eastchester. I mean the (3) runs to TSQ late nights, and I dont even think thats needed tho I could be wrong but since it stays in Manhattan, I dont know how much it is actually helping unless you need a fast uptown train.

In Manhattan every line has express service at some point of the line at night...for the Eighth Avenue/Central Park West AND Sixth Avenue it's the (D), for the IRT West Side it's the (3), for Broadway it's the (Q), but for Lexington Avenue, the heaviest-used corridor in the system, there's...nothing.

And that doesn't make any sense. The (5) should go to Grand Central or 125th St. I'd love it if the (4) were to be a 24/7 express too but the (5) going to Manhattan as an express overnight would be great and make the subway a bit more appealing to those who wouldn't want to deal with a local train at night on the East Side.

For those who don't think the (3) going to Times Sq at night is necessary, I rode the (3) at around 1am earlier this month to 148th St-Lenox Terminal and I must say, that train was full for most of the ride. When I got off at the last stop, there was a good amount of people who got off the (3) so the (MTA) did the right thing by not only extending the (3) overnight to Times Sq but keep the service after the budget cuts. The (5) will be a success if they would let it go to Grand Central, I have no doubt about that. I know I would use it if I was out past 1am.

For those who don't think the (3) going to Times Sq at night is necessary, I rode the (3) at around 1am earlier this month to 148th St-Lenox Terminal and I must say, that train was full for most of the ride. When I got off at the last stop, there was a good amount of people who got off the (3) so the (MTA) did the right thing by not only extending the (3) overnight to Times Sq but keep the service after the budget cuts. The (5) will be a success if they would let it go to Grand Central, I have no doubt about that. I know I would use it if I was out past 1am.

Did u ride the (3) in the front. Becuz thats where it is mostly packed. Like the first 4 cars, as u go back further its light.. Which i don't consider heavy has much, if u were to place people in the other cars it would look light.. If it were all packed with some cars light, then the riderships is more then half..

Ive seen late night (3)s and its not as heavy.

Politics, Harlem complained about the late night Shuttle Bus, that's why the (3) runs overnight. The politicians would likely be needed for this extension.

Guest lance25

Just my two cents:

Comparing the (3)'s late night express runs with the "necessity" of the (5) express to Grand Central is like apples to oranges. The (3) makes all of nine stops late nights, whereas the (5) would have to make about 20, which would require quite a few more trains to be a viable alternate for the local (2) and (4), even at the usual 20 minute intervals.

Personally, I think it would best if the (5) terminated at either 149 St-Grand Concourse or 125 St so riders heading to Manhattan won't have to use the (2) at E 180 St to the (4) at 149 St. Yes, wherever it terminates, it will have to wrong-rail at some point, but at the aforementioned 20 minute intervals, it's probably not going to delay any trains behind it. Also, it would require as many trains than it would by going all the way down to Grand Central.

i say 149th street grand concourse upper level. the (5) can use the (4) middle track as layup on the northbound middle track past grand concourse. the (5) can come in on the (4) northbound track and let the passengers off at the station then switch onto the middle track and keep going until the portal and use the middle track as a relay track to return to manhattan. the if theres a (5) on the relay track then another (5) can come in on the middle track at grand concourse so there would be no problem causing delays and what not. the middle track at grand concourse can fit 2 trains. one at the station and one on the relay track north of the station it would be a perfect terminal for the (5) just like the terminal the (W) had at whitehall street before it was discontinued.

It can't get up there.

What? The main choices are 42 St, 125 St, and 149th.

I wouldn't use 125th. It ill require switching around/wrong railing and stuff.. And can delay a (4) if it is near 125th.

And Brooklyn Bridge/Bowling Green is also another choice.

Did you ever ride the Lex. line at night!? It needs it...

Actually. I have rode the Lex Line at night. And it is not as heavy then the day. At least around 1:30-4AM~

I'd say Grand Central but only if there is money. Otherwise 125th st would be a good terminal. You can easily transfer to MNRR there to go into GC.

Good idea.. If the MNR was 24 HOURs and ud be paying Extra..... Plus wait time.. For that id take a local.

I wouldn't use 125th. It ill require switching around/wrong railing and stuff.. And can delay a (4) if it is near 125th.

And Brooklyn Bridge/Bowling Green is also another choice.

Actually. I have rode the Lex Line at night. And it is not as heavy then the day. At least around 1:30-4AM~

Good idea.. If the MNR was 24 HOURs and ud be paying Extra..... Plus wait time.. For that id take a local.

Of Couse the lex will have much less ridership at 2am on a Tuesday Morning(Monday Night)than say 2pm on a Tuesday Afternoon.

However on most Friday/Saturday Nights though as late into 3-4am it can SRO on both the (4)(6) between Union Sq and 125th St.

Taking into money and trying to make best use of it the best option(when the fiscal crisis is over)is to run the (5) to Grand Central overnights.

It matches the IRT West Side late night service pattern and also for first time in modern (MTA) era (since the early 1960's) Dyre Ave riders would have a 1-seat ride to Manhattan. You could still have OPTO as the (G) runs a long route. Just my takes.

@Mark: MNRR doesn't ride between 2 AM and 4 AM, but all other times, it does. And for those 2 hours, there is the (4) and (6). So till 2 AM and from 4 AM on, you can just take MNRR from 125th.

I can't imagine why anyone would want to transfer to Metro-North

The point of extending it to 125th would be that it's the first point you can transfer to the (4) and (6)... for free.

@Mark: MNRR doesn't ride between 2 AM and 4 AM, but all other times, it does. And for those 2 hours, there is the (4) and (6). So till 2 AM and from 4 AM on, you can just take MNRR from 125th.

Acually it does ride from 2-4.. If your living in the north u can catch it there late and then service only to Manhattan Starts.

And your wrong about that. right around 1-2am the last few trains to GCT should of passed 125th with the last few trains already heading up. 4AM you cant take any MNR from manhattan or north becuz the trains to Manhattan are all the way to north. You'd have to wait till after 5am for service.

And again u will still have to pay extra for MNR, especially since zone one is costly.. $5 off peak? Id just hop on the subway for $2.25.

That CityTicket program was a bust mostly because MNR/LIRR wasn't really built to provide consistent service from the outerboros into midtown. The two largest communities that would benefit from it the most don't even have stations (Parkchester, Co-op) even though plans were in the works (no idea on where those ideas stand at the moment). Remember, subway parts of Queens are closer to midtown than the Bronx.

While the (G) does have a long route for OPTO, the amount of people that transfer down from the (4) during late nights will easily overwhelm a 5-car OPTO (5) running every 20 mins not to mention adding those people who will ride that (5) only because its express. Can't forget those transfers from the (2) who may decide to transfer at 149-GC instead of 180th since its indoors and warmer in the winter.

Oh, by the way, the same people on here who suggested Grand Central as an overnight terminal for the (5) will soon want it to continue further south to all the late night spots from 23rd st club row all the way down thru the village. And now we're back to Bowling Green all over again.

That CityTicket program was a bust mostly because MNR/LIRR wasn't really built to provide consistent service from the outerboros into midtown. The two largest communities that would benefit from it the most don't even have stations (Parkchester, Co-op) even though plans were in the works (no idea on where those ideas stand at the moment). Remember, subway parts of Queens are closer to midtown than the Bronx.

While the (G) does have a long route for OPTO, the amount of people that transfer down from the (4) during late nights will easily overwhelm a 5-car OPTO (5) running every 20 mins not to mention adding those people who will ride that (5) only because its express. Can't forget those transfers from the (2) who may decide to transfer at 149-GC instead of 180th since its indoors and warmer in the winter.

Oh, by the way, the same people on here who suggested Grand Central as an overnight terminal for the (5) will soon want it to continue further south to all the late night spots from 23rd st club row all the way down thru the village. And now we're back to Bowling Green all over again.

heh and then going back to Bowling Green will go further back to Flatbush. Id just keep it how it is, or send it to Mott Ave.

Is it possible that the (5) can extend its OPTO from 180th to Mott ave instead?

And i forgot the city tickets on the weekends which is 3.75. But still does not serve a purpose if your just gonna transfer from the Subway to the RR.. Makes no sense going from 125 to GCT..

Acually it does ride from 2-4.. If your living in the north u can catch it there late and then service only to Manhattan Starts.

And your wrong about that. right around 1-2am the last few trains to GCT should of passed 125th with the last few trains already heading up. 4AM you cant take any MNR from manhattan or north becuz the trains to Manhattan are all the way to north. You'd have to wait till after 5am for service.

And again u will still have to pay extra for MNR, especially since zone one is costly.. $5 off peak? Id just hop on the subway for $2.25.

So basically MNRR only does not run in the 3am hour when it arrives at it's Northern Terminals i.e Poughkeepsie, Southeast and New Haven. MNRR basically runs for about 22.5 hours a day.

Not to get off topic but MNRR should run 24/7 at least on Friday/Saturday Nights. They could have created a 3am northbound train leaving 125th going to at least Stamford, White Plains and Croton-Harmon if GCT needs to close for those couple of hours for cleaning, etc.

Hey I never called for the (5) to run 24/7 between dyre and Bowling Green.:cool:

Seriously you don't need that many trains overnights. Purpose of any (5)extension is only to lessen the occasional SRO on the (2) even at 1-2am mainly weekend nights between 149th-GC and 180th.

So basically MNRR only does not run in the 3am hour when it arrives at it's Northern Terminals i.e Poughkeepsie, Southeast and New Haven. MNRR basically runs for about 22.5 hours a day.

Not to get off topic but MNRR should run 24/7 at least on Friday/Saturday Nights. They could have created a 3am northbound train leaving 125th going to at least Stamford, White Plains and Croton-Harmon if GCT needs to close for those couple of hours for cleaning, etc.

Actually once it gets to stations such as Croton, Poughkeepsie, Southeast etc, it is still running. Once it gets to those locations at 3-3:30AM, In the Next hour services begins for GCT bound, while there is a gap of no service to North between 3-6-7am up there.

Archived