If The (5) Ever Was Extended Late Nights

With that service plan, there won't be any service on one of the Brooklyn branches, either the Nostrand Avenue line or the New Lots.

That's why it was tripleeye49's idea.

But why won't it have any service? The (3) could end at Atlantic Terminal via Nostrand, while the (4) serves New Lots.

I happen to agree with a lot of your ideas. I happen to know a lot of people who work those very hours...but until someone changes the mind-set of the

geniuses who do the planning for the subways and surface operations the system will stay as is. When I suggested earlier in this thread about extending the (5) to Grand Concourse midnights it was a compromise position. I got a phone call Thursday afternoon from someone very close to the Operations and Planning dept. My rabbi, so to speak. He laughed and told me that, like Don Quixote, I never give up. As he told me 30 years ago, it's all political. You can bet the bank if Shelly Silver lived in Eastchester, Far Rock, or Canarsie, the (MTA) would sing a different tune. Change, if it ever comes, must be forced on the (MTA). Common sense or logic doesn't seem to account for much with these people in charge today. Believe me when I say I wasn't trying to denigrate your ideas or those of the other posters. I tried to bring up the arguments I've heard over the years concerning the same subject. When the (6) was extended south of 125th St midnights I thought there would be other changes on Lexington Avenue on the midnights but I was told in no uncertain terms that it was a fight just to get that done. See the mindset we're dealing with here? Just my opinion though. Carry on.

Exactly!

The people in charge seem not to get that we have had a severe increase, especially in the last 10 years or so of people commuting outside of traditional rush hours. Until such people get it that ridership habits outside of rush hours have changed and no longer are mainly about "casual riders," we will continue to have to deal with in some cases antiquated mentalities on this.

Mayor Rudy G. was involved in the fight to get the #6 train running its full route during the midnight hours, and it getting the MTA to change course on this issue. It's one of the few things that I applaud him for, so it has to be mentioned.

Mike

I go with those who say it should go local to Brooklyn bridge. I also say the same thing for the West side, with the (3) extended to South Ferry.

That, so you could have the two locals deemed necessary, plus still have the express service (in fairness to those from the outer boros).

That's why it was tripleeye49's idea.

But why won't it have any service? The (3) could end at Atlantic Terminal via Nostrand, while the (4) serves New Lots.

What I suggested is that either the (3) or the (4) would serve Flatbush, and I did not care which one should go there late nights, since the (2) would terminate at Penn Station, and the (5) would terminate at Grand Central. The trains from the Bronx would run express, while the trains running to Brooklyn would run local. Alternatives from Brooklyn riders to/from downtown Brooklyn/Atlantic Avenue would be the (D) and the (Q).

:tup:Have The (5) Run To 138th on the (6) Then Run To 59th St Relay on that Lay-up track used during 1991 Accident then run like that.

:tdown: That doesn't make any sense, the (5) can run local or express easily without backtracking. Why 59 St? That will delay any train behind it during fumigation. 42 St is a much better terminal than 59 St.

Archived