The R160s HVAC and ACC Sucks

Phil D.

i seen that thermometer sticker all over the subway now..

i wonder what it means

I'm gonna have to guess that's where they keep the AC stuff, or maybe to inform passengers that the car is climate controlled... it'd be great to get an official answer.

I'm gonna have to guess that's where they keep the AC stuff, or maybe to inform passengers that the car is climate controlled... it'd be great to get an official answer.

buses have that too.

They start making a bunch of noises like the R143s after awhile.

Ever get the ones with the loose HVAC panel that makes that high pitched suction noise? I had one on the (7x) my last time out to shea. Pushing on it seemed to cause the noise to go away, but my arm got tired so i just put my ipod on to block it out.

- Andy

• 2 months later...
After riding the POS R160s on my home line everyday since they first started running and on the Larry, I've come to the conclusion that the HVAC and ACC suck really bad. When ever I step into a 160 or even a 143 for that matter, its all humid inside the train. I was riding the 160 Ms yesterday waiting for a friend to come up to meet me and I stepped inside of a 160 and jumped out. The air outside was much better then the air inside the train. It was hot and humid in the train meanwhile outside is was perfect.

Its also funny when I step into a brand new set, the smell is horrible. It smells like new plastic mixed with open ass.

Are you making this thing up?

Those loud brakes could be causes by one car having a dynamic braking system problem, so while the other cars are quiet stopping, the car with the problem is using more of regular friction brakes than the others.....That causes the loud screeching sometimes........

Every R160A/B train that's just placed into service may smell funny, but it's not bad. Do the brakes on the R160A on (L)(M) and R160B on (N) and (W) really screech so loudly? For me, they're just fine, especially riding the (N) R160B cars a lot, they perform better.

I generally don't have any problems with any R160 train. They can fly down the express track, and don't shake at all.

Not to mention that in the summer, the R32 and R40 freeze you alive!!!B)
R32s be melting me alive...Also I find the R44s AC to be much cooler than the R32s. I don't know about R46 since I never took it in hot weather.

R32s be melting me alive...Also I find the R44s AC to be much cooler than the R32s. I don't know about R46 since I never took it in hot weather.

They used to freeze you alive... before they stopped maintaining them since they're gonna get reefed. Last year (and even this spring) those R32s were iceboxes.

Back in the 80's most trains that was pre-R44 had no A/C,only a big fan that sometimes don't work or spins very slow. I can guarantee that you'll lose a few pounds after riding those trains.

One thing I do miss is when the lights used dim out while passing over track switches.B)

Back in the 80's most trains that was pre-R44 had no A/C,only a big fan that sometimes don't work or spins very slow. I can guarantee that you'll lose a few pounds after riding those trains.

One thing I do miss is when the lights used dim out while passing over track switches.B)

Actually, pre-R40A for the A/C Certain R38s had A/C as well.

And the blinking lights? They should bring that back. Classic New York City Subway. The LIRR M3s still do that, but that doesn't count.

Phil does have a point with the A/C on the NTT trains. We are learning the Bombs and the Saki-Saki first, before we go to the old workhorses (it's something new the TA is doing). Today we were on a Bomb, and the A/C was freezing, but when the sensors sense it's cold enough, and they go into a regular fan mode before the compressor kicks back in, you get humid warm air (the outside air) coming into the train. It's all computerized. The old dawgs A/Cs possibly didn't have so many CPU circuits in them, so they possibly kept running on the deep freeze cycle.......

The R32's are the worst now, it's like being in a sauna.

Today I had my 1st R42 (A), and it was a nightmare. I waited 12 mins for the (A) and when it got there it was packed to the brim (like the (E)) and deathly hot. Even when people got off the train the A/C was still barely blowing.

The R32's are the worst now, it's like being in a sauna.

Today I had my 1st R42 (A), and it was a nightmare. I waited 12 mins for the (A) and when it got there it was packed to the brim (like the (E)) and deathly hot. Even when people got off the train the A/C was still barely blowing.

You could start taking the express bus home if you don't want to deal with crappy A/C's and overcrowing.

I've entered some empty cars where it was more hot inside than in the station (quite a feat!) and i've entered other cars full of people and still nice and cool. I wonder which A/C units are more reliable, maybe they get tired of working on them and let them go for a while till they get complaints or something.

- Andy

Archived