Bay Area Rapid Transit

Hey Guys--

As a native of the Bay Area, I thought it was high time that some BART content was introduced to Trainz. So, without further ado, here are three assets I am working on, which will be part of a larger BART content pack, to be released in the future.

BART C-Car

C-car3.png

BART Mileposts (all re-programmable. First two signs can display three characters each, third sign [closest to us] only displays two). Credit for the script goes to Retro00064 on the Trainz forums. Thanks bro! :tup::tup::o

Mileposts.jpg

BART Single Signal

BARTSig1.jpg

Enjoy!

-A :cool:

• 5 weeks later...

Not only have I been updating NYC subway stations and objects, but I've been making some headway on my BART stuff as well. Below are several pictures of the signs, signals, and tunnels/tracks.

Signs & Signals first--

Normal BART unilens signal

A57A.jpg

Interlocking Gate Sign- A 57 M (A 57 Gate Mike)

A57M.jpg

Station Approach Sign (A 50 is 1,000 feet ahead)

A501000.jpg

Gate Warning Sign (Gate is one full train length ahead (700 feet))

GateWarning.jpg

Clear Switch Sign, same as above, but opposite. At this point a full 10-car train has cleared the switch.

ClearSwitch.jpg

Milepost with interface triangle sign

InterfaceLocation.jpg

The following signals are (to my knowledge) only found at M87, M93 and M97 interlockings from Daly City to the Daly City Yard

Dual Signal

DualSignal.jpg

Tri Signal

TriSignal.jpg

Quad Signal

QuadSignal.jpg

More below!

I decided to do an update of the tracks--with BStyles' help with textures and helping manipulate some photos for me. You can really tell my progress from the first set I published a month or so ago:

These are the old-style subway tracks used on the original 1970s system (Fremont-Richmond, Rockridge-Concord, and MacArthur to Daly City)

BARTOldTrack1.jpg

And these are the new-style subway tracks, direct-fixation into concrete blocks, used on all of the extensions to the system. (Stations north of Concord, the entire Dublin line, and south of Daly City)

BARTNewTrack1.jpg

And now for some of the tunnels--of course divided into old-style and new-style.

Old Style Tube (used in Downtown Oakland, Transbay Tube, Berkeley Hills Tunnel, and in San Francisco). SF's tunnels end after Balboa Park Station.

BARTTubeTunnel.jpg

Old Style Square (used on the original pre-extension system everywhere else not mentioned above)

BARTOldTunnel3rd.jpg

Open-sided versions of the above tunnels, for interlockings:

BARTOldOpenTunnel.jpg

BARTOpenTubeTunnel.jpg

New-Style Tunnel (only used in square-cut as far as I know):

BARTNewSubwayTunnel.jpg

New-Style Open-Sided

BARTNewOpenTunnel3rd.jpg

Now, the next project will be aerial tracks and at-grade trackage!

Got some textures and some help from BStyles to create this awesomely awesome---grade-level track, in both third-rail and non-third-rail versions:

BARTGradeTrack.jpg

BARTGradewith3rd.jpg

And, for those annoying little sections, a BART third rail spline:

BARTThirdRail.jpg

Enjoy! I have to tweak the tunnels (textures are showing up on both sides :eek:) and I will be starting the aerial (or el) portions of track tomorrow!

• 3 weeks later...

More updates guys---aerial (or el if you're from NYC) trackways for BART. There are two different types---those with no handrails and those with handrails. Also, they have either depressed walkways or raised walkways. I have a friend who works for BART who has been very helpful with this project. Enjoy below:

Single Track with Raised Walkway

BARTSingleAerialTrackRaised.jpg

Single Track with Handrail

BARTSingleAerialTrackHandrail.jpg

Single Track with Depressed Walkway

BARTSingleAerialTrackDepressed.jpg

Single Track with Raised Walkway (no 3rd rail)

BARTSingleAerialRaisedno3rd.jpg

Single Track with Depressed Walkway (no 3rd rail)

BARTSingleAerialDepressedno3rd.jpg

Single Track with Handrail (no 3rd rail)

BARTSingleAerialHandrailno3rd.jpg

2T with Raised Walkway

BARTDualAerialTrackRaised.jpg

2T with Depressed Walkway

BARTDualAerialTrackDepressed.jpg

3T with Handrails on both sides

BART3TAerialHandrail.jpg

The next set will be at-grade dual tracks with fences on either side (most of the C and L lines run on the medians of major freeways (Hwy 4 and I-580 respectively). I also have to build the retaining walls/tunnels that are between Daly City & Colma Stations. Lastly--re-doing the signals and signs to reflect accurate proportions.

And, as far as rolling stock goes, I have raw models of all three car types done in Sketchup Pro--just have to fit textures around the model and/or vice-versa, so I might have to rebuild some of the cars. Stay posted! It looks like this entire BART content pack will be well over 100 pieces--I've still got stations to start!

Just wanted to give everyone a tiny update--dual and single track fences are now completed. These are for the sections of track in between freeways or other areas that need to be off-limits to trespassers. Thanks to the responders in my other forum post for their help with alpha textures.

Oh, and I changed the color of the concrete textures for the bridge tracks above to look more realistic. Will post those screens later on.

Single Track Fence:

BARTSingleFenceTrack-1.jpg

Double Track Fence:

DualFenceTrack.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I would bump this thread, even though most of the info is found on the Auran site. I'm doing this because I know a lot of you guys make your own NYC Subway signs, and I felt this next part of my project is appropriate for you sign makers!

Modeled the BART Platform Destination signs, and have created textures for all of the stations listed in the Train Operator Manual list, including ones with the prefix "San Francisco" added, as well as a texture library for special displays, and all the car lengths, from 3 to 10 cars. Not sure how I will get this to function in game via a texture library, but enjoy for now!

Typical sign found for the SFO line, prior to reaching Embarcadero Station:

PlatformSign01.jpg

Found on the Dublin line, starting at Balboa Park:

PlatformSign02.jpg

An oddball--you never know, it could happen since they have programs for all stations. I'm gonna say this is a Richmond-Fremont train that broke down, and had to be cleared:

PlatformSign03.jpg

Outta Service, don't get on!

PlatformSign04.jpg

Hope you like 'em!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Here are some shots of the newest BART station, West Dublin, which opened sometime in mid- to late-2010. Modelling this one took a few days--but thanks to Google Earth--finally got it down! So that makes the entire L line completed from the junction at A57 to the end of the storage tracks. Mileposts and other signs/signals have been laid for the entire area. Now, it's time to move north, from Bay Fair to the A05 interlocking. I'll be laying track along the entire area and then adding the stations later.

Track Bumper Block

TrackBumper.jpg

West Dublin Station

WestDublin04.jpgWestDublin03.jpgWestDublin02.jpgWestDublin01.jpg

Enjoy!

-A :wave:

P.S. Yes, it will work with TS2009, and yes, per California law (something to do with the public commission standards or something), the smallest train they're allowed to run is 3 cars, (around 210 feet), the longest being a full 10-car train (700 feet, 710 if using A-cars for the ends).

Dude, awesome stuff you got here! I'd like to go SF and ride BART. My ex-girlfriend used to always tell me about it, because she was from The Bay :cool:

What is this?!?! A reply from the mystery man himself! Yeah, BART is definitely an awesome system to fan, despite only being a two-track system (99% anyway). Because of its architecture, interesting subways, and running on ROW along freeways with cities in the backdrop, there are tons of awesome photo ops.

In off topic news that only you'll care about Z, Paul has a hearing today from the idiots at METRO because he accidentally ran a red at Pierson interlocking--however, it wasn't his fault. The dispatcher was distracting him on the radio, and told him to run by line-of-sight because Sammy's train in front of him was having an issue. They didn't tell him to stop prior to the interlocking, and he barely ran it. Pretty much, they say "ran", when in reality, maybe 5 or 10 feet of his train went over the red. He should be okay, but if he gets the axe (hopefully not), he's definitely going to sue---I'm telling you, METRO set themselves up to get sued with those stupid floor signals, what with other TO complaints, the intense glare of the sun, and no real way to verify a signal's indication when the sun is high and bounces off the metal plates.

• 2 months later...

Hey, that is beautiful work. I'm with BART and I have to say you have a lot of our trackage and West Dublin station down cold. I'm the Supervisor of Operations Training and we (well, my amazing staff :)) are working on Flash applications for our operator training. Very cool stuff and hope to integrate this into online training applications.

BART is a great system and a great place to work. Management gives us a lot of freedom to design, develop and implement new training ideas. I've spoken to some of the folks in training at MTA NYCT. Nice folks who know their job. Let me know if I can help you with any of your work.

Greg

• 5 weeks later...

Hey All--

I know it's been awhile since I've posted updates--my main updates go on the Auran board, but since there is a revived interest in the project here (thanks Rocky for the kind words!), I've decided to do what I do with my NYCTA updates--double post on both forums.

The Dublin is completed in its entirety, minus scenery. All the tracks, signals and stations are laid, though I'm missing a few signs that I had to re-do. The A-line (Lake Merritt to Fremont) is done where it feeds the Dublin branch; going from Bay Fair (the last station before the Dublin line swings east), I've gotten one station out in either direction: San Leandro to the north and Hayward to the south. I'm using the Castro Valley station as a place holder, so when I start posting pictures of the elevated portions, you'll notice the same station--those will get replaced midway through the route--those bad boys take a day or two to make, and I'd rather not stall route building for the sake of stations.

Anyway, here are some pics, credit for the amazing signs goes to Streadway. His freeways are placeholders as well--I'll be importing mine into the game soon.

Along I-580:

DublinLine03.jpg

DublinLine02.jpg

DublinLine01.jpg

On the A-line south of Bay Fair, looking north:

DublinLine04.jpg

Track on the left comes from Dublin:

DublinLine05.jpg

North still, MoW crossing #14. From left to right: s/b track, pocket, n/b track, storage track, MoW spur.

DublinLine06.jpg

Dublin tunnels, looking south. Trains to Dublin swing over the mainline, trains from Dublin come in at a lower elevation.

DublinLine07.jpg

Enjoy!

Below is just a little preview of the freeway splines I'm working on; most freeways in major cities have 3 to 6 lanes in each direction, and my new set will reflect that in both divided highway sets (what you see below is a 6-lane divided highway), and full freeway sets (with nothing but a barrier between them). You'll be able to make 14-lane highways with these. I've also been doing a lot of driving lately, and looking at Google Earth around the Bay Area to get ideas for interchanges, exit ramps, etc that could be useful for others doing major city layouts similar to Phoenix, LA, San Francisco, NYC, etc.

Anyway, here's the pic. I might re-do streadway's supports to fit my wider freeways, as you can see the middle pole right in the middle of the freeway:

DublinLine08.jpg

Thanks, and enjoy! More to come this week!

• 2 weeks later...
Thought I would bump this thread, even though most of the info is found on the Auran site. I'm doing this because I know a lot of you guys make your own NYC Subway signs, and I felt this next part of my project is appropriate for you sign makers!

Modeled the BART Platform Destination signs, and have created textures for all of the stations listed in the Train Operator Manual list, including ones with the prefix "San Francisco" added, as well as a texture library for special displays, and all the car lengths, from 3 to 10 cars. Not sure how I will get this to function in game via a texture library, but enjoy for now!

Typical sign found for the SFO line, prior to reaching Embarcadero Station:

PlatformSign01.jpg

Found on the Dublin line, starting at Balboa Park:

PlatformSign02.jpg

An oddball--you never know, it could happen since they have programs for all stations. I'm gonna say this is a Richmond-Fremont train that broke down, and had to be cleared:

PlatformSign03.jpg

Outta Service, don't get on!

PlatformSign04.jpg

Hope you like 'em!

DAMN! Always impressin' us, how do you use that sketch program

Thanks for the kind words. Using Google Sketchup is relatively easier than other 3D modelling programs. If you download the trial version on Google's website, they have interactive video tutorials which are easy to follow along with. That's how I got my start---plus it's a lot of trial and error (and head banging against your keyboard!)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

After a long hiatus, the BART project is back on! I have cut down on the polys for my ballasted track, so I finally completed Hayward yard just a few minutes ago. What halted the project in the first place was those hi-poly tracks I created, with the main culprit being the curved 3rd rail coverboards. So, for the sake of the game, I'll be modifying them to be somewhat pentagonal, because it'll take up less polys. The old tracks were 1,800 polys---the new ballasted ones---only 300 (including the third rail)! So, the only new tracks are the ballasted ones featured in the screenshots below. I will change these later on to gray ballast, as I haven't recolored the original textures yet. I have to replace all of the other assets and rebuild from the ground up, since all of my BART projects except the B/C cars and the L-line stations were lost when my old external HD decided to die over the summer. Enjoy these shots of the Hayward Yard, and expect building to commence in both directions, hopefully reaching Fremont by tomorrow evening, and the Lake Merritt mini-yard and tunnel portal by late next week. Big thanks to my contacts at BART for helping out again!

Overhead shot looking South

trainz2012-11-2518-06-19-13.png

A lonely mid-consist C car

trainz2012-11-2519-30-27-29.png

Employee pick up/drop off platforms. Transfer tracks 03-07 to the right. They dispatch southbound trains only.

trainz2012-11-2519-31-25-74.png

Southern end of Transfer tracks 03-07, with car wash visible

trainz2012-11-2519-31-45-01.png

End of car wash becomes transfer track 08

trainz2012-11-2519-32-01-63.png

Overhead view of Southern end of the yard. Tracks way north are Hayward Test track and non-revenue shop tracks. Haven't confirmed their use yet.

trainz2012-11-2519-32-23-43.png

Some night time shots--

Looking towards the Hayward Shops

trainz2012-11-2518-06-38-32.png

S&I building in the far upper right

trainz2012-11-2518-07-06-09.png

Southern view looking from storage tracks

trainz2012-11-2518-07-16-35.png

Enjoy!

-A ;)

Thanks sir.

300 polys on a track isn't too bad right? Can it get any better without sacrificing visual quality? No you say. Well, I beg to differ.

This is HUGE guys....I've managed to cut polys down a lot and still retain a wonderful realistic looking track, see images below.

BART Track 1A

NewTrack1A.png

BART Track 1B

NewTrack1B.png

BART Track 1C

NewTrack1C.png

And can you guess the poly counts? Track A is 176 polys, Track B is 44 polys, and Track C with the fence and third rail and all that crazy jazz....clocking in at only 214 polys. This is awesome when you compare third-rail 1T models from other major systems on Trainz...Alterr's Russian Metro kit has 120 polys for a 1T w/ 3rd rail, MCQ's German UBahn is 238, and Magicland's original 1T tunnel is 250. Our NYCTA track is currently 608 polys---eek. No worries, I'll cut that down and get it in order soon enough.

-A ;)

New tube tunnels and signals I worked on yesterday...

The green arrow signal is found in downtown Oakland at the "Core" (A05) where all the lines intersect--it's the zero point of the whole system; it indicates the direction of the switch ahead. There's no official explanation for them, but I believe it's because of the tight curves in the tunnels, and the fact that there is no "proper" signal located at these interlockings. You can't see it here, but they work as switch levers, with the arrow indicating the direction the switch is thrown. I've also created a yellow arrow version used at W33 and W39 interlockings, for the SFO Wye branch; also shown below are the Alpha Indicator signals; at A55 after Bay Fair this signal indicates what line the switch is thrown for, "A" for straight on the A-line, and "L" for diverge to the L-Line. Another variation of this switch with "W" and "Y" exists at Millbrae station's northern end, for the switches to "W" (San Bruno and north/straight), or "Y" diverge to the SFO Wye.

trainz2012-11-3017-43-12-25.png

trainz2012-11-3017-42-57-26.png

trainz2012-11-3017-44-41-83.png

trainz2012-11-3017-44-10-94.png

trainz2012-11-3017-44-16-72.png

Enjoy!

-A ;)

P.S. The mileposts will be adjusted to fit the new tubes!

Archived