Why The New York City Subway Is The Best

Our subway is not perfect, but here are some reasons I feel it is the best:

1. Variety - A combination of two, three, four and six track sections, an eight track elevated terminal, a mixture of underground, elevated, open cut, grade and embankment plus a 3 mile run across a bay featuring a station on an island, and a wye.

2. Terminology - Unification has been with us since 1940, but names such as I.R.T., B.M.T., IND., Brighton Line, Sea Beach, Culver, West End, Fourteenth Street-Canarsie have endured. Where else but New York can the same train be known by different names: 1, Broadway Local, Broadway-Seventh Avenue Local, IRT Westside Local?

3. Interesting Designs: Subway cars with square railfan windows, square railfan windows that open, round railfan windows, no railfan windows, full corrugated stainless sides, half corrugated stainless steel sides, square door windows, round door windows, cars with these have moved New Yorkers

as have subway cars of 51, 60, 67 and 75 feet.

4. Characters: People like Charlie Patterson, Smelly Kelley, Ed Turdik, Ed Davis, Sr., Kass Pollock, Rebecca Morris - all real people associated with our subway through the years. 5. Service - 24/7/365. Only a few lines shut down late nights and weekends and there even are four express lines late nights and six or seven weekends.

Much as I'd love that, the MTA needs to keep prices close to the current 'inflation'. I mean if the MTA kept that price the same, it'd be like keeping the cost of a pack of gum at a nickel rather than a quarter.

That or the MTA would need a huge chunk of the state budget to keep it afloat as well as do extensive cuts in services to maintain the low fares.

i think the nyc subway is the best because"

it has a rich history about its development

preserves its old cars and stations

has the biggest subway train yard in the world

you can travel 35 miles on the (A) line for $2.25 from 207th street to the rockaways with out transferring

has a large collection of abandoned stations track and structures

largest subway fleet in the world.

only system in the world that runs 24 hours a day 365 days a year including holidays

has the longest subway passenger miles runs in the world. every year every single car in the fleet runs about 5 million miles

if all tracks where to be put into one track they would reach from here to chicago

only system in the country to have nostalgic train rides.

the fleet consists of over 6,000 subway cars

passes through rich areas like east harlem, harlem, little italy, the bowery

I have been on just about every mass transit in the United States and around the world - including Japan, China, Tokyo and Brazil. NYC by far gives you the most bang for the buck and a very interesting system that gets you just about anywhere you want to go. For $2.25... are you kidding me? I've been living out in the bay area in California for the last ten years and that might get you from one station to the next on BART. I miss my subways.

A system full of bums, rats, vandalism, 40 year old rolling stock, decrepit stations. Yep. NYC is the best.

Not trying to be rude or start a war, but seriously, what in our system do you find interesting enough to join the forums? I've never read a post of yours in which you had a positive opinion about the NYC Subway.

Not trying to be rude or start a war, but seriously, what in our system do you find interesting enough to join the forums? I've never read a post of yours in which you had a positive opinion about the NYC Subway.

I like trains in general. Nevertheless, I dislike the system in NYC.

I said it's not perfect. When you think about it only London and maybe Beijing and Shanghai surpass our 230 miles (768 total), I think Paris and maybe again Beijing and Shanghai come close to our 468 total stations. I think we're the only system to offer complete service 24/7/365. As some of the members have noted, we're one of the cities with a single fare. Also our history dates back to 1868 with Mr. Alfred Eli Beach's unique subway. To add to this, we also have a smaller system, PATH, which is subway-like and connects New York City and New Jersey which began in 1908 as The Hudson And Manhattan Railroad.

A system full of bums, rats, vandalism, 40 year old rolling stock, decrepit stations. Yep. NYC is the best.

Go bring the (MTA) some money then to get them out of the financial crisis and you're back at 1.25$ in no-time.

You're dreaming. Even if the MTA gets the money it needs the prices won't go down ever. Let's drop the whole "Get the MTA money and X will happen" statements shall we? I give them enough credit acknowledging the little projects they have managed to complete. But it's been feeling like 3 steps forward and 4 steps back for a while now.

Forest Glen can be angry with me. I respect his opinion, but I believe what I posted.

I also said H & M/PATH is SUBWAY-LIKE, which it is on Sixth Avenue and Christopher Street. I do like WMTA's Metrorail and BART, but I happen to love our subway and all its good and bad.

Archived