SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

It's pretty obvious that it was work on the terminal interlocking at Ditmars, the same reason why there were shuttle buses every weekend...

And, this week the (N) and (W) are both running during the midday, so quit it with the conspiracy theories.

Actually only today the (N)(W) ran in Astoria along with the midday track work. It was a last minute change. But tomorrow, the second avenue subway will have its supplement and Astoria will go back to barebones midday service

Edited by darkstar8983

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's pretty obvious that it was work on the terminal interlocking at Ditmars, the same reason why there were shuttle buses every weekend...

And, this week the (N) and (W) are both running during the midday, so quit it with the conspiracy theories.

Actually it's not a conspiracy theory. If you go back and see that it did not take 7 years to install the new "silent" interlocking at Ditmars Blvd, and it has been at least that long (at the very least on alternating weeks, 4x a week middays) that the (N) has been left to serve Astoria without a supplemental service outside rush hour due to work.

And it is not a conspiracy when you actually SEE the (Q) and (W) trains from 2 Av with available seats and overcrowded (N)s. And also they need to swap those R68 cars that currently run on the (N)(W) over to the (Q) and leave Astoria with all R160s for the (N)(W) to make both routes more efficient especially when trains have to swap from one line to another WITHOUT wasting too much time.

Edited by darkstar8983

The G.O is actually going during the Midday tomorrow through Friday.

I do agree with you with the work needed to be done. And now with the whole Enhanced Station going to the Astoria Stations this Fall, it's safe to say there may be alot more G.Os on Astoria with the Shuttle Buses and the (W) to 96th Street.

The G.O is actually going during the Midday tomorrow through Friday.

I do agree with you with the work needed to be done. And now with the whole Enhanced Station going to the Astoria Stations this Fall, it's safe to say there may be alot more G.Os on Astoria with the Shuttle Buses and the (W) to 96th Street.

I'm not saying the work is not necessary but the MTA is using this as an opportunity to shaft Astoria out of subway service using the claim "well, we're doing track work". What about the (2)(5) in the Bronx? They no longer suspend the (5) between 149 St-Concourse and East 180 St during midday hours when there is a midday GO. That's a clear cut example of hipocrasy

I see comments here about 2nd Avenue getting preferential treatment over Astoria and I cannot see where that logic is coming from. Before we scream favoritism, let's take a look at what's going on, shall we? For the past few months, we've had persistent service changes and disruptions along the Astoria line. That's nothing new as this has been going on for years; the only thing that really changes is what's running on the Astoria line. Let's take a look back at the services. Prior to 2010, we had the (N) and (W) as the primary and secondary services respectively. Since the (W) mirrored the (N) and (R) lines in Queens and Manhattan, the service was more often than not suspended during those Astoria GOs. While there were instances where both lines would run express in the direction of work, those were rare occurrences. Moving forward to the 2010-2016 era where the (Q) was the secondary Astoria service, Transit obviously couldn't run the same operations as it did with the (W), so service was always cut back to 57 Street to reduce congestion on the backlogged Astoria line. When the (W) was brought back last November as the Astoria secondary, Transit decided to adjust how the services operated during that line's construction work. Instead of outright suspending the service and forcing riders to rely on the (R) trains, they decided to take a queue from the (Q) cut backs and terminate them away from the construction zone. Since 57 Street is no longer a viable terminal, Transit has no choice other than reroute the trains to 96 Street. This isn't to give Second Ave additional service but rather because there are no other options besides suspending the line entirely or rerouting it far away from where the service usually runs. Besides, at 20 minute intervals, it's barely a service anyhow.

While I can't talk for what Queens needs, I can talk for Manhattan, and it for sure needed two local lines on Broadway during the summer. The (R) running practically by itself doesn't cut the mustard during the midday, especially with how problematic that line is even on a normal day. If they insist on having the (W) run up 2nd Avenue during middays, they should either run its normal midday headways or just cut the (W) completely and have the (N) run local in Manhattan like before.

I see comments here about 2nd Avenue getting preferential treatment over Astoria and I cannot see where that logic is coming from. Before we scream favoritism, let's take a look at what's going on, shall we? For the past few months, we've had persistent service changes and disruptions along the Astoria line. That's nothing new as this has been going on for years; the only thing that really changes is what's running on the Astoria line. Let's take a look back at the services. Prior to 2010, we had the (N) and (W) as the primary and secondary services respectively. Since the (W) mirrored the (N) and (R) lines in Queens and Manhattan, the service was more often than not suspended during those Astoria GOs. While there were instances where both lines would run express in the direction of work, those were rare occurrences. Moving forward to the 2010-2016 era where the (Q) was the secondary Astoria service, Transit obviously couldn't run the same operations as it did with the (W), so service was always cut back to 57 Street to reduce congestion on the backlogged Astoria line. When the (W) was brought back last November as the Astoria secondary, Transit decided to adjust how the services operated during that line's construction work. Instead of outright suspending the service and forcing riders to rely on the (R) trains, they decided to take a queue from the (Q) cut backs and terminate them away from the construction zone. Since 57 Street is no longer a viable terminal, Transit has no choice other than reroute the trains to 96 Street. This isn't to give Second Ave additional service but rather because there are no other options besides suspending the line entirely or rerouting it far away from where the service usually runs. Besides, at 20 minute intervals, it's barely a service anyhow.

Actually the first part of your statement is incorrect. Both the (N)(W) ran their full service despite the backlogs in Astoria during the midday GO's prior to the 2010 cuts (I lived in Astoria my entire life and used these trains to get to/from school/work and still use them). I think there were only a HANDFUL of instances between 2004 and 2010 that the (W) was entirely suspended and one specific midday GO right before christmas eve that suspended the (W) entirely and the (N) between Queensboro Plaza and Times Square-42 Street due to "emergency track work" As for the second half of your comment, maybe this issue could be solved by running the (N) train at 8 minute headways during the midday GO's to mitigate the cut, and maintain more or less evenly distributed trains with appropriate loads, using the (W) trains that get sent to Coney Island yard during the late AM period and that get sent back prior to the PM rush, if the 2 Av subway will be getting the (W) trains at 20 minute headways.

Around 7:20PMish I caught an uptown (4) train at 59th. It announced itself as Bronx-bound (4) express train as usual — until 125th when it announced itself as a Woodlawn-bound (4) express train. I noticed on my way up the strip maps were in fact showing a full express run to Woodlawn. Signs and everything said BRONX EXP. I take this route every day at the same time and have never seen a FULL express to Woodlawn. I know they sometimes do some Burnside Av, but this was a first for me. I know they did a pilot a long time ago but never really seen it fully running express like this and they never made any announcements that it was an incorrect route or anything.

Stops were: 149th GC - Burnside Av - Woodlawn

Around 7:20PMish I caught an uptown (4) train at 59th. It announced itself as Bronx-bound (4) express train as usual — until 125th when it announced itself as a Woodlawn-bound (4) express train. I noticed on my way up the strip maps were in fact showing a full express run to Woodlawn. Signs and everything said BRONX EXP. I take this route every day at the same time and have never seen a FULL express to Woodlawn. I know they sometimes do some Burnside Av, but this was a first for me. I know they did a pilot a long time ago but never really seen it fully running express like this and they never made any announcements that it was an incorrect route or anything.

Stops were: 149th GC - Burnside Av - Woodlawn

Did it actually run express in the Bronx or did you get off before?

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Did it actually run express in the Bronx or did you get off before?

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

I got off and had to switch to the 6 at 125th, would have liked to stay on and see if I could. Like I said the conductor never said anything the entire trip up, even after it announced it was a Woodlawn-bound express train.

It was a R142A 7611 I was on. Interesting to see nonetheless.

7591-7610, 7626-7635 are what's left at Westchester

It’s looks like the MTA is doing whatever it can to limit the amount of R142A’s that have to run on the (6). Catching one nowadays is rare, but it’s good because the R142A’s are beat up and aesthically look very dirty. I wish the R142A’s that we’re giving to the (7) and converted were actually cleaned and made to look like they were newer. The least they should do is paint over the seats and clean out the light casings because come on it’s pitiful. The R62A’s on the (6) seem like they are taken better care of.

It’s looks like the MTA is doing whatever it can to limit the amount of R142A’s that have to run on the (6). Catching one nowadays is rare, but it’s good because the R142A’s are beat up and aesthically look very dirty. I wish the R142A’s that we’re giving to the (7) and converted were actually cleaned and made to look like they were newer. The least they should do is paint over the seats and clean out the light casings because come on it’s pitiful. The R62A’s on the (6) seem like they are taken better care of.

I caught one yesterday morning at 59th street.  I don't understand why they would use such light colors knowing that they don't like to clean.

Millennial design - light colors like sky blue and light gray/off-white to give an new, airy feel. It was all the rage in and around 2000 when the NTT cars were designed and built. The MTA likely chose those colors as a direct contrast to the older cars.

I get that "airy" feel until I look more closely and see how dingy it looks. lol The newer cars by Alstom play with the color a bit to hide the dirt a little better. It's like this weird greyish color.

I wonder when all this "track work" on the (N)(W) trains in Astoria will be completed. Seems like the (W) train in Astoria has become more of just a rush hour route in Queens.

Oh - it's another "Dark Cabal Secretly plotting to intentionally screw people over and or save money" thread, then. I'm pretty sure the GO doesn't save them one red cent. And if your theory were true, would they not suspend the W evenings post-rush as well?

Just wait until 2019 when the (L) train shuts down and the whiny hipsters move to Astoria and overload the (N)(W) lines similar to what they did to the (L) since 2006

My god - what a horrifying thought. But I'd reckon the whiny hipsters would rather move deeper into BK than be caught dead moving to queens. "theres no music scene there, broh".

Also - just pointing out that those hipsters are generally whining because of complete shutdowns of sections of the line. I'm not defending them, but you're literally suggesting a conspiracy and claiming that a neighborhood is getting the shaft over a 30-train non-rush-hour reduction. I won't go so far as to accuse you of whining - but - I mean, there's irony, no?

Actually it's not a conspiracy theory. If you go back and see that it did not take 7 years to install the new "silent" interlocking at Ditmars Blvd, and it has been at least that long (at the very least on alternating weeks, 4x a week middays) that the (N) has been left to serve Astoria without a supplemental service outside rush hour due to work.

They can't do outdoor work overnights on elevated lines, as you probably know. So, any and all maintenance on the line has to be done mid-day or weekends. It has NOT been every other week. For october, so far the GO is only scheduled the first week. Next week there is no GO. Have you considered the Q101 to steinway street?

And it is not a conspiracy when you actually SEE the (Q) and (W) trains from 2 Av with available seats and overcrowded (N)s. And also they need to swap those R68 cars that currently run on the (N)(W) over to the (Q) and leave Astoria with all R160s for the (N)(W) to make both routes more efficient especially when trains have to swap from one line to another WITHOUT wasting too much time.

I agree that it's not a conspiracy. (you probably meant to say "not a conspiracy theory"). It has nothing to do with adding service to 2nd ave. It has to do with reducing the TPH on the astoria line to allow work to be done. In order to do that, the W gets displaced. It used to turn at 57/7 - but you can't turn trains there without mucking up the Q - easier to just send them north to 96, and reduce their frequency to 3tph so they don't interfere much while crossing.

Leave the 68's out of this, they're great on the astoria line. I've never seen a 68 delayed at ditmars so they could change the rollsigns. If a W pulls in and the next train is supposed to be an N, they'll often just send the second train that pulls in out first if it's NTT or signed as a november.

I'm not saying the work is not necessary but the MTA is using this as an opportunity to shaft Astoria out of subway service using the claim "well, we're doing track work". What about the (2)(5) in the Bronx? They no longer suspend the (5) between 149 St-Concourse and East 180 St during midday hours when there is a midday GO. That's a clear cut example of hipocrasy

It's not hypocrisy. Not even remotely. That change affected the TPH at 9 stations and then displaced riders at 5 more stations onto a shuttle train to transfer, and then transfer back if they wanted the 5. The Astoria line is 6 stations. You're talking about an extra 20,000 riders per day at the bronx stations, with trains that hold less passengers per.

Not sure why I go on with these detailed rebuttals, but there you go.

Oh - it's another "Dark Cabal Secretly plotting to intentionally screw people over and or save money" thread, then. I'm pretty sure the GO doesn't save them one red cent. And if your theory were true, would they not suspend the W evenings post-rush as well?

My god - what a horrifying thought. But I'd reckon the whiny hipsters would rather move deeper into BK than be caught dead moving to queens. "theres no music scene there, broh".

Also - just pointing out that those hipsters are generally whining because of complete shutdowns of sections of the line. I'm not defending them, but you're literally suggesting a conspiracy and claiming that a neighborhood is getting the shaft over a 30-train non-rush-hour reduction. I won't go so far as to accuse you of whining - but - I mean, there's irony, no?

They can't do outdoor work overnights on elevated lines, as you probably know. So, any and all maintenance on the line has to be done mid-day or weekends. It has NOT been every other week. For october, so far the GO is only scheduled the first week. Next week there is no GO. Have you considered the Q101 to steinway street?

I agree that it's not a conspiracy. (you probably meant to say "not a conspiracy theory"). It has nothing to do with adding service to 2nd ave. It has to do with reducing the TPH on the astoria line to allow work to be done. In order to do that, the W gets displaced. It used to turn at 57/7 - but you can't turn trains there without mucking up the Q - easier to just send them north to 96, and reduce their frequency to 3tph so they don't interfere much while crossing.

Leave the 68's out of this, they're great on the astoria line. I've never seen a 68 delayed at ditmars so they could change the rollsigns. If a W pulls in and the next train is supposed to be an N, they'll often just send the second train that pulls in out first if it's NTT or signed as a november.

It's not hypocrisy. Not even remotely. That change affected the TPH at 9 stations and then displaced riders at 5 more stations onto a shuttle train to transfer, and then transfer back if they wanted the 5. The Astoria line is 6 stations. You're talking about an extra 20,000 riders per day at the bronx stations, with trains that hold less passengers per.

Not sure why I go on with these detailed rebuttals, but there you go.

I can see that everyone on this forum just wants to rip me to shreds on everything ????

1. First of all, the Astoria line has suffered from poor service when compared to the rest of the subway system because it is serviced by two unreliable routes. Even now in 2017 where every line is crapping out and giving off ~60% on time performance (being optimistic here) hence why service cannot be made even worse by having a mixed fleet. The trains are NOT leaving and arriving on time to give them ample time to send the next R160 train out and swap that trains letter/destination: sometimes you have a situation where you have both Ditmars tracks occupied with R68 trains. What do you do then? The MTA saw this problem when the R160s were first coming onto the (F) and the reliability of that line had hit its lowest point because FIVE different car classes were assigned to this route.

2. In general (I also have eyewitnesses in addition to myself) the Astoria GOs were every other week. And just you wait until they update the website to show the rest of the month of October and the (N) being the only Astoria service.

3. Those hipsters don't give a damn about anyone and would sooner sell your soul for a sip of beer. I for see them moving to Astoria and turning it into another hellhole like Williamsburg.

4. Anyways getting back on topic: if everyone seems to be satisfied with this reduction in service, why don't they just make the (N) run a bit more often to not have people left on the platforms because they don't fit on the train.

I'm not trying to rip you to shreds - trust me - I live in astoria - the go's are annoying because it means if i'm late to work, I'm EXTRA late to work. 

I just don't have any patience for the outlook that service changes are somehow inconvenient by design, that GO's are instituted in convey maximum spite. Frankly - this is a narcissistic position to take, it lies adjacent to the point of view where any hurdle on one's path is an intentional attack. I know too many people like that and if you think about it, you probably do as well.

None of us, individually or collectively are so important that powers at the transit agency want to give us the shaft. Nobody is sitting in the rail control center pleasuring themselves to the thought of those crowded trains in astoria. It isn't about me, it isn't about you, it's about trying to run a railroad.

On 9/21/2017 at 5:26 PM, itmaybeokay said:

I'm not trying to rip you to shreds - trust me - I live in astoria - the go's are annoying because it means if i'm late to work, I'm EXTRA late to work. 

I just don't have any patience for the outlook that service changes are somehow inconvenient by design, that GO's are instituted in convey maximum spite. Frankly - this is a narcissistic position to take, it lies adjacent to the point of view where any hurdle on one's path is an intentional attack. I know too many people like that and if you think about it, you probably do as well.

None of us, individually or collectively are so important that powers at the transit agency want to give us the shaft. Nobody is sitting in the rail control center pleasuring themselves to the thought of those crowded trains in astoria. It isn't about me, it isn't about you, it's about trying to run a railroad.

Sometimes I wonder about that, when I'm subject to QBL trackwork after 10pm weekdays it feels like if any passenger dared to have a good day then NYCT wants to make sure it's completely destroyed before they get off the train.

34 minutes ago, Calvin said:

A Division moves: 

* 7086-7115: Jerome Av to White Plains line

*7611-7655: Westchester to Jerome Av. 

Knew there was a reason why those Westchester sets were on the (4), I see this is somewhat long-term.

Is Westchester gaining anything or is Unionport losing anything in this move?