Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
EE Broadway Local

SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Rate this topic

On 10/6/2017 at 2:56 PM, jon2305 said:

When are the rest of the R62A's suppose to leave the (7)?

Whenever CBTC goes online, which has been delayed a little (and they're SMSing some of the R188s in the meantime).  It was supposed to be a month ago, but of course here we are.

On September 21, 2017 at 4:40 PM, darkstar8983 said:

I can see that everyone on this forum just wants to rip me to shreds on everything ????

1. First of all, the Astoria line has suffered from poor service when compared to the rest of the subway system because it is serviced by two unreliable routes. Even now in 2017 where every line is crapping out and giving off ~60% on time performance (being optimistic here) hence why service cannot be made even worse by having a mixed fleet. The trains are NOT leaving and arriving on time to give them ample time to send the next R160 train out and swap that trains letter/destination: sometimes you have a situation where you have both Ditmars tracks occupied with R68 trains. What do you do then? The MTA saw this problem when the R160s were first coming onto the (F) and the reliability of that line had hit its lowest point because FIVE different car classes were assigned to this route.

2. In general (I also have eyewitnesses in addition to myself) the Astoria GOs were every other week. And just you wait until they update the website to show the rest of the month of October and the (N) being the only Astoria service.

3. Those hipsters don't give a damn about anyone and would sooner sell your soul for a sip of beer. I for see them moving to Astoria and turning it into another hellhole like Williamsburg.

4. Anyways getting back on topic: if everyone seems to be satisfied with this reduction in service, why don't they just make the (N) run a bit more often to not have people left on the platforms because they don't fit on the train.

I agree with most of your points Darkstar8963. Last week, they said (N) trains were going to run express from Astoria Blvd to Q-Boro, but the work was cancelled, so the (N) ’s ran local, but the (W)’s remained up the upper east side. 

I don’t think the R68’s are the problem, truthfully. Even if it’s a (W) that must come back as an (N) they will sometimes just switch the front rollsign and that’s it. Heck, 1 of the 3 sets of R68’s they have has a jammed rollsign that shows the upside down <Q> . 

The big issue is the fact that the (W) is a completely un-reliable route. Even during peak rush, Ditmars will be behind, so to keep up with demands in Brooklyn, they will dispatch 2 to maybe 3 (N) ’s in a row to make sure there isn’t a 20 minute gap in Sea Beach. 

Additionally, when the Astoria work isn’t completed on-time, then you might not see a (W) in Queens until 4pm. 

On your point about the millennial hipsters, while it’s wrong of me and totally opinionated, I completely agree. I remember when I immigrated from the Balkan mountains in the 1970s, and everyone in Ditmars Steinway spoke Greek. There was a great, safe, feeling that made Astoria my favorite neighborhood. 

To me, that 14th Street/Greenwich/Williamsburg culture makes me sick, and I would move out of Astoria if that culture came here. 

• Upvote 1

On 10/6/2017 at 2:56 PM, jon2305 said:

When are the rest of the R62A's suppose to leave the (7)?

December, if nothing else goes wrong. 

Could R46s ever be displaced on the (N) and (W) lines? It would actually make sense and be much easier to switch from one to the other at Ditmars since they are half-digital. 

10 hours ago, Ntrainfave said:

Could R46s ever be displaced on the (N) and (W) lines? It would actually make sense and be much easier to switch from one to the other at Ditmars since they are half-digital. 

If the Jamaica/Coney Island swap materializes (to make Jamaica 100% R160), then they will have to run R46s on the (N)(W).

22 hours ago, Ntrainfave said:

11 hours ago, Bosco said:

If the Jamaica/Coney Island swap materializes (to make Jamaica 100% R160), then they will have to run R46s on the (N)(W).

Unlikely to happen, there will be enough R211s in service to retire Jamaica's R46s or send them to Pitkin by the time CBTC is ready on Queens Boulevard, plus N/W riders will be furious to see their new cars replaced by old 40+ year old junks. The N and W only use a few sets of R68/68As and the rollsign thing isn't really that bad. The B and 6 got the same issues and no one ever talks about them.

While I agree the rollsign thing isn’t the end of the world, neither the B nor 6 are comparable. Both have dedicated fleets/terminals. 

8 hours ago, Calvin said:

9443-9447 Jamaica Yard to Coney Island Yard

Pretty much it’s to ensure that Coney Island Yard doesn’t end up short on subway cars while 10 of its cars are temporarily on the (E) for the standing room pilot. Day before yesterday one of the “Jamaica R160s” made a run on the (Q). 9472-9468 was part of the set.

likely they chose Coney Island cars to retrofit so that way not too many of Jamaica’s R160s would be out of service during the makeover and to start the conversion as fast as they could. Likely after the pilot cars have been converted, 9133-9137 and 9158-9162 will be returned to Coney Island Yard and 9223-9232 will also be transferred from Jamaica to Coney Island to prepare for the November pick

2 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

Pretty much it’s to ensure that Coney Island Yard doesn’t end up short on subway cars while 10 of its cars are temporarily on the (E) for the standing room pilot. Day before yesterday one of the “Jamaica R160s” made a run on the (Q). 9472-9468 was part of the set.

likely they chose Coney Island cars to retrofit so that way not too many of Jamaica’s R160s would be out of service during the makeover and to start the conversion as fast as they could. Likely after the pilot cars have been converted, 9133-9137 and 9158-9162 will be returned to Coney Island Yard and 9223-9232 will also be transferred from Jamaica to Coney Island to prepare for the November pick

I also recall seeing a 945X or 946X on the Q yesterday.  Don't remember the exact number.  The MTA (or at least Emperor Cuomo) want 10 Cuomo trains by the end of the month, so it's not surprising that at least one will be a Coney Island set.

11 hours ago, FlushingExpress said:

Unlikely to happen, there will be enough R211s in service to retire Jamaica's R46s or send them to Pitkin by the time CBTC is ready on Queens Boulevard, plus N/W riders will be furious to see their new cars replaced by old 40+ year old junks. The N and W only use a few sets of R68/68As and the rollsign thing isn't really that bad. The B and 6 got the same issues and no one ever talks about them.

While I agree that we should just wait for the R211s (although they won't start coming in en masse for another 4-5 years if all goes well), it is something that has been floated around and can't be ruled out.  Some rumors go nowhere, others wind up materializing.  Let's wait and see.  If the R179 can catch up a little (not likely), it might sway things also.

I can't believe we are actually wasting money and resources on cars like this for a stupid standing room pilot and fancy colors. Sure, let's take more R160's out of service for this stupid pilot when we're in the midst of a car shortage.

We should instead be using the money to fix the system.

• Upvote 2

These are short-term fixes. Obviously, they need to focus on the long-term solutions, but those take longer and require a much larger investment than things like removing a couple of seats and changing the grab bars. Also, the seat removal is in part due to the car shortage. I agree the rolling nurseries need to go though.

Edited by Lance

MTA feeds google data about the system via GTFS, GIS data, etc so not google’s fault.

I’m sure someone else could explain in more detail. 

Edited by RR503

Anyone else notice the QBL express is slower during the pm rush going Jamaica bound? Especially between Roosevelt and Forest Hills. Did they activate the new signals at and around 71 Ave?

Just a random question:

Do you think it would have been feasible to have had the (1)(9) terminate at Chambers Street from 9/12/01 until sometime next year? Like, what if the new South Ferry station were built in anticipation of the Cortlandt Street station reopening, with the Rector Street station being temporarily shuttered unchanged, and the old loop station never reopening. Then, having all three of the southern-most  (1) stations reopen for the first time since 9/11 at the same time. Would the (4)(5) and (R)(W) have been sufficient to deliver commuters to and from the ferry terminal for over seventeen years? Was this option ever on the table after the attacks, perhaps to speed up the reconstruction process and save money?

Edited by Skipper

25 minutes ago, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

Anyone else notice the QBL express is slower during the pm rush going Jamaica bound? Especially between Roosevelt and Forest Hills. Did they activate the new signals at and around 71 Ave?

yes i have been noticing that lately. Everytime the train always slows down when it approaches the 71st ave station.

4 minutes ago, Far rockaway said:

yes i have been noticing that lately. Everytime the train always slows down when it approaches the 71st ave station.

I've noticed that even with the old signal system the trains would slow down around 67th Ave if a train was at 71st. So its a bit slow into 71st during the rush. But the past few days its been slow past Grand Ave and 63rd as well

17 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Just a random question:

Do you think it would have been feasible to have had the (1)(9) terminate at Chambers Street from 9/12/01 until sometime next year? Like, what if the new South Ferry station were built in anticipation of the Cortlandt Street station reopening, with the Rector Street station being temporarily shuttered unchanged, and the old loop station never reopening. Then, having all three of the southern-most  (1) stations reopen for the first time since 9/11 at the same time. Would the (4)(5) and (R)(W) have been sufficient to deliver commuters to and from the ferry terminal for over seventeen years? Was this option ever on the table after the attacks, perhaps to speed up the reconstruction process and save money?

(1)(9) can't terminate at Chambers cuz it would hold up (2)(3) trains heading to Bklyn. It is the only track (2)(3) trains can use going to Bklyn, so the (1) would've permanently run to new lots til 2018. So, no. 

1 hour ago, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

I've noticed that even with the old signal system the trains would slow down around 67th Ave if a train was at 71st. So its a bit slow into 71st during the rush. But the past few days its been slow past Grand Ave and 63rd as well

If you look out the front and see if there actually are new timers, I can look into it for you. 

On 10/11/2017 at 10:37 PM, Calvin said:

9443-9447 Jamaica Yard to Coney Island Yard

Also 9448-9452 is attached to that set. The continuous set (9442-9452) ran on the (N) this evening for the PM Rush while the 9468-9472-9482-9478 was on the (Q)

Edited by darkstar8983

1 hour ago, Far rockaway said:

how many train sets of r46's appear on the F line because i been noticing more r46's popping up on that line.

Typically its supposed to be 7-10 train sets of R46s on the (F) and 35 R160 trains, but with the "Cuomo-decorating" on the R160s, it is causing a shortage of available R160s in Jamaica and Coney Island, so additional R46s are needed for the (F) and Jamaica's R160s are sent to Coney Island due to literally NO available spare cars (outside the low spare factor) for the (N)  (Q)  (W) lines.

Also, the Second Ave line will be adding more trains b/c of this and accommodating more riders during the rush. 

Edited by Calvin