SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/11/2017 at 10:41 PM, FlushingExpress said:

Unlikely to happen, there will be enough R211s in service to retire Jamaica's R46s or send them to Pitkin by the time CBTC is ready on Queens Boulevard, plus N/W riders will be furious to see their new cars replaced by old 40+ year old junks. The N and W only use a few sets of R68/68As and the rollsign thing isn't really that bad. The B and 6 got the same issues and no one ever talks about them.

The swap has been confirmed and WILL happen. The CBTC contract specifies that the R160s will be equipped.

18 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

The swap has been confirmed and WILL happen. The CBTC contract specifies that the R160s will be equipped.

I doubt that. What will likely happen is that the R211s that are needed to supplement the R160s to make Jamaica yard all NTT will be sent there before 2021 (with the fact that it was announced that there was going to be an accelerated delivery of 450 cars). The current roster of R160s in Jamaica will also be retrofitted for CBTC. CBTC will probably wait because it is likely that the R211s (especially the open gangway cars) will be needed for the (E) and (F) lines specifically

2 minutes ago, darkstar8983 said:

I doubt that. What will likely happen is that the R211s that are needed to supplement the R160s to make Jamaica yard all NTT will be sent there before 2021 (with the fact that it was announced that there was going to be an accelerated delivery of 450 cars). The current roster of R160s in Jamaica will also be retrofitted for CBTC. CBTC will probably wait because it is likely that the R211s (especially the open gangway cars) will be needed for the (E) and (F) lines specifically

I have heard multiple transit employees confirm this. Jamaica will be 100% R160s.

1 hour ago, darkstar8983 said:

I don't know. The R160 contract was awarded in July 2002 and 30-day revenue testing began in August (R160A) and October (R160B) 2006. That's a little over 4 years. It's been over 5 and a half years since the R179 contract was awarded and still no revenue testing. Assuming things will go smoothly with the R211 contract and they'll be entering service in droves by the beginning of 2021 (3 years and a couple of months from now) seems incredibly optimistic, especially when the contract still hasn't been officially awarded. These procurements have been "accelerated" so many times by now it feels meaningless to me. But on the other hand, it's possible that CBTC installation on Queens Blvd will drag on for longer than expected, delaying the date when the line needs to be all-NTT. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by Mysterious2train

3 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Anything goes at this point and if the assignments change, they change. Me personally I won't believe it until it actually happens.

We all know how the MTA is.

I have heard this from the inside. I know it will happen. They can't change the contract.

1 hour ago, Mysterious2train said:

I don't know. The R160 contract was awarded in July 2002 and 30-day revenue testing began in August (R160A) and October (R160B) 2006. That's a little over 4 years. It's been over 5 and a half years since the R179 contract was awarded and still no revenue testing. Assuming things will go smoothly with the R211 contract and they'll be entering service in droves by the beginning of 2021 (3 years and a couple of months from now) seems incredibly optimistic, especially when the contract still hasn't been officially awarded. These procurements have been "accelerated" so many times by now it feels meaningless to me. But on the other hand, it's possible that CBTC installation on Queens Blvd will drag on for longer than expected, delaying the date when the line needs to be all-NTT. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The delays in CBTC installation on queens Blvd will likely allow the R211s to be delivered so that those cars can be used. Would make much more sense considering the extra capacity of an open gangway on the more crowded (E) and (F) routes. Otherwise the R211s would be placed on the (N) and (W) routes and the capacity increase would be limited. In the end anyways probably every NTT car needs to be upgraded for CBTC anyways so might as well start now. And then again take a look at the delays in installation of CBTC for the (7) and (L) . The (L) was supposed to be done in 2007 and didn’t go online until 2011-2012 and the (7) has yet to go online even though it was expected to go up in 2015.

Edited by darkstar8983

12 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Anything goes at this point and if the assignments change, they change. Me personally I won't believe it until it actually happens.

We all know how the MTA is.

https://issuu.com/railwayage/docs/railway_age_september_2017/40

305 four-or-five car sets will be equipped.

There are 720 R160s at Jamaica, and 364 R46s which when converted to 60 foot long cars equals 455.

This makes 1175, or 235 sets.

The M operates with 184 cars, and that equals 46 sets. Add 235 and 46 sets and you get 281. Factor in spares for East New York and you get 305. The math works out.

http://www.thejoekorner.com/carassignments/index.html

27 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

I have heard this from the inside. I know it will happen. They can't change the contract.

They can delay it for whatever reason. I've been hearing the same rumor as well but I don't want to automatically assume is true. This is MTA we're talking about. I would rather wait and see at this point.

Edited by Daniel The Cool

9 minutes ago, Daniel The Cool said:

They can delay it for whatever reason. I've been hearing the same rumor as well but I don't want to automatically assume is true. This is MTA we're talking about. I would rather wait and see at this point.

I understand, but what are they going to do with the CBTC-ready R160s. What I could see happening is having some R211s replace some of the R160s if the timing is right, but only a few, which would go to the E and F.