SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

11 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

At least now we can speculate that the R211s will be assigned to the (N)  (Q) and (W) lines (along with the (A) and Rockaway Park (S) .

ever since the R46s and not including the R143s the (N) line has always had the chance to get factory fresh cars and it seems like it will continue. Maybe they’ll wait for the R211s to start arriving to start displacing the R160s to Jamaica so that they don’t have to waste effort transferring the R46s to Coney Island, having the repairmen learn to maintain a car class that has never been repaired in that yard all for nothing. And the Jamaica R46s can retire on the (F) and (R)

I doubt that. The 211s will go where their CBTC capabilities and wider doors (and gangways) are needed, so expect another swap between CI and Jamaica when they arrive... 

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, BDNQ2345 said:

So

(A) unchange r179?

(B)  r46

(C) unchange r179?

(D) unchange

(E) r160

(F) r160 100%

(G) r32?

(J)(Z) unchanged r179?

(M) r160

(N) r46/r160

(Q) r68/a/r160?

(R) r160 100%

(W) r46/160

4 hours ago, Dj Hammers said:

You're very very close, with the exception of the (B), (C), and (G).

I would presume that the (G) would have either R68As or R160s (600 v. 480), the (B) would have R32s, and the (C) would likely have R46s, if it goes to 600 ft as planned.

On 10/16/2017 at 2:35 PM, MassTransitHonchkrow said:

I was told by a platform controller last June [2017] that CBTC is already on halfway between Hudson Yards and Woodside. I asked as a way to pass the time while the FDNY used jaws of life to remove a family trapped in an elevator and to avoid laughing with a constructive conversation.

Is there a way to reverse-engineer the beacon system for countdown clocks as bat-like sonar so trains can talk to each other, as well as platforms?

It would be interesting if it could be used to tell the Conductor don't be in such a rush to close the doors if the next train is 15 mins away and you see people coming up/down the stairs to the platform etc.

18 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

They are banned because the rebuilt Montague tunnel doesn't have clearances for straight sided cars...

They could put one on the (N) then as an extra during rush hour, that way riders can't complain as much. The (Q) would be less effective as Cuomo does not want "rickety old R32s" on his "precious" Second Avenue line.

52 minutes ago, BreeddekalbL said:

While the hipstersite gothamist goes crazy for the old school map of 1972 my thought of the day is this if the viginelli map was in use today would there be a weekly article saying that map is difficult etc?

Probably. They'd likely alternate between that and the usual NYC Transit sucks articles that are put out regularly. :D

Seriously though, while a good work of art, it's a terrible map. Even Vignelli himself knew it wasn't the best wayfinding tool, which is why he intended it to be part of a three-part mapping system. His plan was to use his infamous diagrammatic map along with the neighborhood maps and the station directory (which I have recreated here). Of course, with the fiscal constraints in place at the time, the other maps fell to the wayside, resulting in an incomplete map system that people felt was too complicated for its own good.

With that said, this map and its later iterations continue to turn up on occasion, whether it's through the MTA Weekender or most recently, on the new GO posters as part of the service change information.

44 minutes ago, R68OnBroadway said:

They could put one on the (N) then as an extra during rush hour, that way riders can't complain as much. The (Q) would be less effective as Cuomo does not want "rickety old R32s" on his "precious" Second Avenue line.

Can't run them on the (N) either...

What if you've got a Brooklyn bound R32 (N) at Union Square and a train has an equipment problem on the Manhattan Bridge?

2 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

It would be interesting if it could be used to tell the Conductor don't be in such a rush to close the doors if the next train is 15 mins away and you see people coming up/down the stairs to the platform etc.

I kinda find that annoying too.

Y'know, I think such a system could be used to create mechanized walls between the platform, which is long overdue for our system.

The beacon tech could be used as a notifier.

I think the end cars should be better optimized for ADA accessibility much the same reason I believe there should be R-only buses.

42 minutes ago, RR503 said:

I haven’t seen these new posters — are they finally doing maps of the service changes? 

Even better - they use the Vignelli style with Arial Semi and region focus, which is a cutaway view of an affected service area in tandem with the reported change.

46 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

Can't run them on the (N) either...

What if you've got a Brooklyn bound R32 (N) at Union Square and a train has an equipment problem on the Manhattan Bridge?

Send it down to Whitehall or Canal, then flip it to a (W), or run it light up Broadway to some storage area. If Jamaica is not 100% CBTC ready by the time the R179s have replaced half of the R32s, it would best to put them on the (F) or (M) as the (F) riders aren't like the (E) riders, and the (M) can worry less about the rollsign as it is a flipdot, and no commuter will usually look at the side signs. Plus, I have seen 46s without rollsigns on the (A), and the MTA once put an R44 on the (A) with a piece of paper with a marker "A" on it as it was missing its rollsign. (this was from some photo on nycsubway.org) 

10 minutes ago, R68OnBroadway said:

Send it down to Whitehall or Canal, then flip it to a (W), or run it light up Broadway to some storage area. If Jamaica is not 100% CBTC ready by the time the R179s have replaced half of the R32s, it would best to put them on the (F) or (M) as the (F) riders aren't like the (E) riders, and the (M) can worry less about the rollsign as it is a flipdot, and no commuter will usually look at the side signs. Plus, I have seen 46s without rollsigns on the (A), and the MTA once put an R44 on the (A) with a piece of paper with a marker "A" on it as it was missing its rollsign. (this was from some photo on nycsubway.org) 

And, pray, what would sea beach riders do in this hypothetical? 

Sorry, I don’t follow, are you saying we should put the 32s on the (F) or (M) ? 

19 minutes ago, RR503 said:

And, pray, what would sea beach riders do in this hypothetical? 

Sorry, I don’t follow, are you saying we should put the 32s on the (F) or (M) ? 

If sea beach doesn't like it, it is only one set so they can wait for the next train. 

What I am saying is that some 32s should be put on the (F) or (M)  (preferably (M)) if extra service is needed on those lines.

22 minutes ago, R68OnBroadway said:

If sea beach doesn't like it, it is only one set so they can wait for the next train. 

What I am saying is that some 32s should be put on the (F) or (M)  (preferably (M)) if extra service is needed on those lines.

No to both. If you assign 32s en masse to the (N) , there’s a good chance you’ll get a set of them on the next train too. So, instead of a simple, quick and dirty reroute, you’re left with horrendous service gaps and platform crowding. What’s more, by putting 32s on a relatively long route with steep grades, you’re virtually asking for such a situation to take place. Better to leave them on peripheral/non 24/7 services. 

Same logic applies to the (F) and (M) . Those two services interline with at least one line from every B division trunk, so a stalled train (basically an eventuality given the 32s MDBF) has the capability to cascade over everything. Plus, the (F) especially is an extremely high intensity service, featuring crushloads and express runs, hardly the place for a creaky old set of cars. Let the poor R32s die in peace, wearing themselves out on the (B) or (G) . 

Edited by RR503

55 minutes ago, R68OnBroadway said:

I'll be fine if they die on a quiet line, like the (B) , (G) , or (S) . If the MTA decides to have a ceremonious final run though, it should be on the (Q) as that was the line it first ran on.

What if R32's had a "GRAND FINALE" on Second Av with the last R32 beginning at 96 Street or 125 Street or an IND/BMT Dyre Avenue and running all they way to Coney Island  (on revenue service on the (Q) )