SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

18 minutes ago, Ntrainfave said:

About how many trains are there on the (Q) and (N)(W) lines as of now? And about how many of those are R68/68a ?

22 trains total for the (Q)

34 for the (N)(W) : 4-6 R68/As  with 28-30 R160 trains

Edited by Calvin

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, itmaybeokay said:

I do agree that wrapping cars and the "cuomofied station initiative" are utter wastes of time - but I would argue that rolling stock is as important as tracks and signals. 

Just as it is senseless to buy a new Bentley to drive down a potholed dirt road, it's senseless to eschew the vehicular upgrades, repave the road to autobahn standards, and expect a 50 year old jalopy to perform admirably. 

The road, the signals, and the rolling stock must all be working in good order. Since car replacement is, seemingly unavoidably, a lengthy proposition, I would argue it is important they continue working on that as they simultaneously work to maintain and update the physical plant. 

I'm not saying the cars are of greater importance at all, but they're of comparable importance. 

To a lesser extent, realtime data - not per-se the platform clocks, but the data feeds, are a somewhat important stop-gap measure. Before I leave home or before I leave work, I can check my phone and see if there's a huge gap, or a conga line, which would indicate a problem with more granularity than a service alert. I agree that probably not everyone uses the realtime data like I do and it might be a leap for plently to make the kind of logical leaps but - well - assuming they are working to simultaneously maintain and update the plant, the real-time data is useful in the interim and will be useful going forward. 

I'm in full agreement that the #1 priority should be tracks and signals though. 

Perhaps I should have worded my diatribe a little better. I'm not against new fleet purchases. On the contrary as I was a teenager when the R32 " Brightliners" hit the southern BMT and, living in Prospect-Lefferts Gardens with Prospect Park as my home station, I was surrounded by all types of equipment daily. Prior to that I lived in Brownsville and passed through Atlantic Avenue on the Canarsie and the BMT Fulton El lines. Between Atlantic and Broadway Junction/ Eastern Parkway and the yard there was all types of equipment to see. I had a provisional job with NYCT as a RR Porter and worked the Myrtle-Jay line from Jay to Sumner, the decrepit Culver Shuttle, Chambers on the (J) line as well as Gun Hill upper and lower on the  (2) WPR line. When I became a M/M years later I worked "work trains" for a year. When you get to see the infrastructure up close and personal over the years your perspective changes completely. I can recall following a  (4) n/b at 59th and Lex and seeing sporadic sparks on the roadbed ahead of me. I made it through the area without incident but 24 hours later a train derailed at approximately the same location. I've seen ceilings crash down on tracks and platforms at Nevins St, Franklin Avenue, and all three platforms at the Atlantic Avenue IRT station. Luckily there were no injuries reported at those incidents that I know of. A few years ago IIRC there was a big ceiling collapse Uptown on the (1) line Ask an RTO employee about the tracks and switches in a train yard. Ask them about the condition of may benchwalls around the system. In my personal experience over many decades as a passenger and as an employee I can honestly say that no matter the age of the equipment, or the location, A or B division, I've never thought twice about the safety of the fleets. Infrastructure.... I'm not so sure I have that same confidence anymore. I've also done 10 years in the construction field between stints at Transit doing new and rehab work hands on and I kinda lean toward VG8's opinion that cheap low bid contractors might not always be the way to go. I also don't want to seem like I'm denigrating those who are using tech to keep abreast of the subways and buses. I'm retired and like one of my motor instructors told me 35+ years ago " I don't run for the train, the train runs for me". I told my NYPD brother-in-law that with the introduction of countdown clocks in the IRT the criminal element also knew how long they had to commit their crimes, LOL. FWIW if I'm entering the system at Utica Avenue on the IRT and I'm heading to Downtown Brooklyn or Midtown Manhattan I'm not slowing down to look at my watch, tablet, or a countdown clock but continuing down to the platform and catching the first thing smoking. I don't care if it's a 62, 62A, 142, or 142A I have never cared what model train or bus is coming so, no, I'm not your average railfan. My experience causes me to focus on other things than the average rider does.  Just my thoughts. Carry on

11 hours ago, Bosco said:

Poor communication is also a big cause of delays.  I've been on trains (even newer ones with clearer announcements) on the weekends, where trains will remain in the station for two minutes because the conductor is explaining to everyone about alternatives and such.  Each of these problems in aggregate add up to the massive delays with our subway system.

There is a good idea for that:

• Install some RGB LEDs near the FIND and around the doors. Express trains glow red and local trains glow green. During reroutes, these lights could be flashed to indicate a change of service.
    • Red: We’re gonna skip a bunch of stops, so GTFO if you are afraid of being on the wrong train.
    • Green: We’re gonna make all stops to cover for service gaps or a stalled train on the express track. Tough luck if you are in a hurry.
  • Install external and internal digital displays with dynamic strips that show exactly what stations are being served with the name of the next station stop flashing while the doors are open.
  • The paper subway maps are also replaced with dynamic digital displays with live coverage of each train’s location.

The announcements can be shortened to just the digital recordings announcing:

This train is being rerouted from its normal route. The next stop is…

11 hours ago, CenSin said:

• Install some RGB LEDs near the FIND and around the doors. Express trains glow red and local trains glow green. During reroutes, these lights could be flashed to indicate a change of service.
    • Red: We’re gonna skip a bunch of stops, so GTFO if you are afraid of being on the wrong train.
    • Green: We’re gonna make all stops to cover for service gaps or a stalled train on the express track. Tough luck if you are in a hurry.
  • Install external and internal digital displays with dynamic strips that show exactly what stations are being served with the name of the next station stop flashing while the doors are open.
  • The paper subway maps are also replaced with dynamic digital displays with live coverage of each train’s location.

The digital maps are something I hope is put on the R211s.  If it doesn't cover where each train or connecting train is, at least it can show reroutes because of construction or other service changes.  I also like the idea of bringing back the express/local indicators.  The older trains had them and the (7)<7> still has them, so I don't see why this would be a problem.

On 10/26/2017 at 10:46 PM, CenSin said:

I have a similar idea towards what you have

I have tried to come up with a list for the sets

(E)

9108-9112+?

9692-9688+9563-9567

9133-9137+9162-9158

9737-9733+9558-9862

9128-9132+9218-9222

9247-9243+9238-9242

9123-9127+9203-9207

(L) 

8340-8337+8328-8325

Transfer sets from Jamaica to Coney Island (N)(Q)(W) 

9447-9443+9458-9462

9263-9267+9237-9233

9472-9468+9452-9448

9478-9482+9467-9463

9252-9248+9272-9268

On 10/26/2017 at 7:46 PM, CenSin said:

May want to pick a different set of colors...

In all seriousness, I have never understood why they went with the FINDs designed the way they are now, with lots of tiny LED panels. Most places just use a single LCD or LED screen.

8 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

I have tried to come up with a list for the sets

(E)

9108-9112+?

9692-9688+9563-9567

9133-9137+9162-9158

9737-9733+9558-9862

9128-9132+9218-9222

9247-9243+9238-9242

9123-9127+9203-9207

(L) 

8340-8337+8328-8325

Transfer sets from Jamaica to Coney Island (N)(Q)(W) 

9447-9443+9458-9462

9263-9267+9237-9233

9472-9468+9452-9448

9478-9482+9467-9463

9252-9248+9272-9268

9108-9112/8842-8838. 

And seems like Coney Island is just getting more R160A’s and Jamaica is getting more R160B’s and how careful that Coney doesn’t transfer any of their Siemens sets. 

Edited by VIP

When a train goes BIE because of a signal problem what happens.Everyone sits on the train till they fix it? (I've noticed this has been happening in the 60th street tube and I'm wondering what happens with the people on these trains)

Edited by Abba

9 hours ago, VIP said:

9108-9112/8842-8838. 

And seems like Coney Island is just getting more R160A’s and Jamaica is getting more R160B’s and how careful that Coney doesn’t transfer any of their Siemens sets. 

Coney Island is the only yard that regularly operates/maintains the Siemens sets (except for the ultra rare Siemens (F) train).

2 hours ago, Abba said:

When a train goes BIE because of a signal problem what happens.Everyone sits on the train till they fix it? (I've noticed this has been happening in the 60th street tube and I'm wondering what happens with the people on these trains)

Generally, yes.  IIMN, they also have to verify that the red signal was what caused the train to go BIE (make sure it wasn't something or someone on the tracks as well).

12 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

If a shortage requires it, a R160B can show up on the (F).

Not all R160Bs are Siemens; most are Alstom, so R160Bs regularly run on the (E)(F).

R160 Breakdown:

R160A1 (Alstom-built, Alstom Propulsion, 4-Cars): 8313-8652, 9943-9974

R160A2 (Alstom-built, Alstom Propulsion, 5-Cars): 8653-8712, 9233-9802

R160B1 (Kawasaki-built, Alstom Propulsion, 5-Cars): 8713-8842, 9103-9232, 9803-9942

R160B2 (Kawasaki-built, Siemens Propulsion, 5-Cars): 8843-9102

Edited by Bosco

12 hours ago, VIP said:

9108-9112/8842-8838. 

9108-9112 was coupled to 9188-9192 when I saw it last week, unless 8838 is a new set...

(And yes a Siemens set is rumored to be in Coney Island barn getting the Cuomo treatment. We'll see if its true or just people talking out of their ass...)

5 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

9108-9112 was coupled to 9188-9192 when I saw it last week, unless 8838 is a new set...

(And yes a Siemens set is rumored to be in Coney Island barn getting the Cuomo treatment. We'll see if its true or just people talking out of their ass...)

If I had to guess, it's fake news.  It makes no sense to make a Siemens set a Cuomo set unless (please don't let this give any foamers any ideas) there are plans to run one on Broadway.  As I said, only Coney Island maintains and operates the Siemens sets, so if it's to go to the (E), it wouldn't make any sense.

3 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

Those Jamaica cars aren't staying at CI, they're just place holders and would be getting the new scheme as well. Once that happens CI gets their cars back

That would make the most sense. By the way, 9448-9452 was linked to 8663-8667 and ran on the (N) today

Edited by darkstar8983

12 hours ago, Bosco said:

Coney Island is the only yard that regularly operates/maintains the Siemens sets (except for the ultra rare Siemens (F) train).

Generally, yes.  IIMN, they also have to verify that the red signal was what caused the train to go BIE (make sure it wasn't something or someone on the tracks as well).

Thank g-d I wasn't in a train like this and I hope i never will be .I once was in a BIE train for 15-20 min in which they found debris on the track .But this mornings issue seemed more serious thankfully I wasn't there .

On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 6:05 PM, bobtehpanda said:

May want to pick a different set of colors...

In all seriousness, I have never understood why they went with the FINDs designed the way they are now, with lots of tiny LED panels. Most places just use a single LCD or LED screen.

It was probably cheaper when it was designed back in 2005. That's one of the drawbacks to large orders like the R160 or the upcoming R211, the inability to change the components mid-order as the technology becomes cheaper or goes in a different direction than it was when the order was created.