SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Jemorie said:

Can anyone here tell me why do people say the (E) is busier than the (F) that the former should run more frequently than the latter? What is it about the (E) that makes it more attractive than the (F)?

I believe it's because the (E) connects a lot of busy locations and connects to more buses in Jamaica.

The (E) is the 8th Ave local (I call it the backup) many times it provides frequent service when the (A)(C) are no where to be found. It connects to Penn Station and the Port Authority, then provides crosstown service to the (6) train.  (A couple of times I was on the WTC bound (E) during evening peak, the train got SUPER PACKED at Lexington Ave, (there wasn't even room to sway) and the relief happened at Port Authority and mostly Penn Station.)

In Queens it connects to the (G) and provides express Service between Queens Plaza (which is getting more development) and Jamaica where there are connections to the LIRR, JFK Airtrain and tons of bus routes.

The (F) doesn't have as many high demand destinations although 6th Ave is busy also with Rockefeller Center and Herald Square.

36 minutes ago, N6 Limited said:

I believe it's because the (E) connects a lot of busy locations and connects to more buses in Jamaica.

The (E) is the 8th Ave local (I call it the backup) many times it provides frequent service when the (A)(C) are no where to be found. It connects to Penn Station and the Port Authority, then provides crosstown service to the (6) train.  (A couple of times I was on the WTC bound (E) during evening peak, the train got SUPER PACKED at Lexington Ave, (there wasn't even room to sway) and the relief happened at Port Authority and mostly Penn Station.)

In Queens it connects to the (G) and provides express Service between Queens Plaza (which is getting more development) and Jamaica where there are connections to the LIRR, JFK Airtrain and tons of bus routes.

The (F) doesn't have as many high demand destinations although 6th Ave is busy also with Rockefeller Center and Herald Square.

That's true... :mellow:

6 hours ago, biGC323232 said:

I think it's evenly the same in terms of passengers ......

Yeah...all lines are full to the brim during rush hour, even the secondary lines like the (3), (5), (B), (C), (M), and (R)...

People just keep looking way too deep into certain lines they ride just because.

20 minutes ago, S78 via Hylan said:

The (E) also has a connection to JFK airport which the (F) does not.

Even then, the (F) is the second longest line in the system after the (A) and it's not like the Culver Line itself isn't that busy, at least, during rush hours in the peak direction to be exact. I've been on a handful of overcrowded (F) trains from Brooklyn during the morning peak. Sure, most of the crowds clear up by Jay St. But when an (A) or (C) are across the platform for a connection, forget it, and the crowds become even worst than before by Delancey St but then the train finally breathes out as soon as we reach Midtown and it's comfortable in terms of seating/space from then on. I frequently hear that the (E) should run 18 tph or 20 tph instead of the current 15 tph while the (F) drops to 12 tph or 10 tph, which I don't think will sell well with Culver Line riders. People also seem to forget that WTC can't even handle the huge amount of (E) trains that they keep on proposing due to lack of tail tracks at the station. In short, I'm just saying that people need to focus on an entire line first-hand before jumping to conclusions rather than only a portion of a line like they always do.

Edited by Jemorie

21 hours ago, Jemorie said:

Can anyone here tell me why do people say the (E) is busier than the (F) that the former should run more frequently than the latter? What is it about the (E) that makes it more attractive than the (F)?

The (E) is busier because it gets more people on Archer Avenue in Jamaica than the (F) does along Hillside. In Queens they're about equal in terms of usage, but the (E) gets more people because it's way more attractive than the (7) and the (R) trains in Queens. The (M) service to Forest Hills ends far too early to be of any help to the (E), while the waits for the (R) between Forest Hills and Queens Plaza are too long for folks along the locals to put up with. The (7) always gets delayed either at Queensboro Plaza, or Main Street because of signal malfunction, making people transfer at 74th and Broadway for the (E) for faster service into Manhattan. Sure the QBL has it's shares of delays, but they're not as bad as the ones that occur the Flushing Line, which can last 20 minutes to an hour.

33 minutes ago, biGC323232 said:

Isnt the :2: the second longest route in the system

(F) is in Second place lengthwise. About 27.5 miles  the (2) should be right behind the (D) or neck and neck at roughly 25.5/8 So 4th place for the (2) . (2) to New Lots would definitely clinch the 3rd place spot.

Edited by RailRunRob

On 1/20/2018 at 6:39 PM, Jemorie said:

The (E) directly hits the Midtown CBD. Plus it has a direct connection to the Lex at 51st for (6) so it more than likely gets a lot of folks from Queens who work down there. It's also busy because it serves Penn Station and has to take on the commuters coming from NJ, Long Island, and even PA who work in Midtown and FiDi. 

1 hour ago, kosciusko said:

I still see them on the (E) and (F) during busy hours. I think they stopped using them during off hours.

Nah, I meant Jamaica doesn’t reserve those cars just for the (E) . They went back to the “whatever’s available for service use it” assignment. I’ve seen 1 “Cuomo” R160 on the (F) yesterday and 2 on the (E) 

6 hours ago, RailRunRob said:

(F) is in Second place lengthwise. About 27.5 miles  the (2) should be right behind the (D) or neck and neck at roughly 25.5/8 So 4th place for the (2) . (2) to New Lots would definitely clinch the 3rd place spot.

Interesting fact is Wakefield is the farthest Northern Terminal.

30 minutes ago, LGA Link N train said:

What were the fleet assignments in the 90's. I'm curious 

From what I remember for the 1999-Early 2000 at some point for B Division (Not counting the Willaimsburg Shutdown)

The (A) Train had majority of the R44s with alot of R38s and like 2-3 sets of R32s.

The (B) Train was mostly R68As with a few R68s and occasional appearances of the Slants

The (C) had R32s and R38s

The (D) Train was entirely R68s (Like the present day) with an occasional appearance of the R40 Slants and/or R68As.

The (E) Train was entirely R32s with an occasional appearance of the R46s.

The (F) Train was entirely R46s with an occasional appearance of the R32s

The (G) Train was entirely R46s with an occasional appearance of the R32s

The (J)(Z) Train had R40Ms and R42s

The (L) Train had R40 Slants, R40Ms and R42s.

The (brownM) had R42s with an occasional appearance of the R40 Slants and/or R40Ms.

The (N) Train had R32s, R40 Slants and R68s with an occasional appearance of the R68As.

The (orangeQ) Train was entirely R40 Slants with an occasional appearance of the R32s and/or R68/R68As

The (R) Train used both R32s and R46s.

The (S) Shuttles was entirely R44s for the Rockaway Shuttle, The R68 Single units on the Franklin Avenue Shuttle (Like the present day) and the 21st Street Shuttle (That ran between 21st Street and 34th Street via the Broadway line until February or so) I believed used R40 Slants. Not entirely sure on that because I honestly don't remember.

As for A Division Assignments maybe @Trainmaster5 can chime in with that one because I know the (1)(3)(9)(S) used entirely R62As with the (6) being mixed with R62As and Redbirds and with the (4) Train used both Redbirds and R62s but don't know which redbirds was on what.

Edited by Daniel The Cool