(4) line - mostly R62s and R33ML

(5) line - R26/28/29 plus one set of R62As

(6) line - R62A and R29

(7) line R33/36 WF

(6) had some R36's as well. 94-95XX

(4) R33's were like (92-93xx)

(3) R62/A were about 18xx to 21xx

(1)(9) 21xx -24xx

(5) Had two sets of the Westchester R62/A 18xx?

(2) might have had a few R29's 88xx?  I remember when the (2) had R26,28 29's (5)  R17's and R33's 

This is kinda of from memory wasn't too much into trains at the time kinda figured out what was what after the fact in my 20's so I might be missing something.

Edited by RailRunRob

21 minutes ago, RailRunRob said:

Indeed it is. But another fun fact is Eastchester-Dyre (5) is the closest station to the NYC City limits at just under 1000ft! ;) 

Yep. It's like the 2nd farthest northern terminal.

3. Is Woodlawn

4. Van Cortland Park-242nd Street

5. Norwood-205th Street

6. Pelham Bay Park 

2 hours ago, RailRunRob said:

(6) had some R36's as well. 94-95XX

(4) R33's were like (92-93xx)

(3) R62/A were about 18xx to 21xx

(1)(9) 21xx -24xx

(5) Had two sets of the Westchester R62/A 18xx?

(2) might have had a few R29's 88xx?  I remember when the (2) had R26,28 29's (5)  R17's and R33's 

This is kinda of from memory wasn't too much into trains at the time kinda figured out what was what after the fact in my 20's so I might be missing something.

From GOH to some point in the mid 90s the (2) had the R26/28/29 and the (5) had the R33ML, 180th and 239 yards swapped cars since the 33ML was in better shape and better suited for a long 24/7 line like the (2) . I'm pretty sure they had swaps at Flatbush back then as I remember the "2 via 7th Ave/5 via Lexington" readings being on the same rollsign on some of the Redbird cars, I took pics of it on a TOMC fantrip I went on but I can't access the photos cause of photobucket being an ass. So its very possible some of the (5) line's 29s ran on the (2) every now and then even after the yard swap.  When the 142s came it pushed the 33ML back to the (5) and the 26/28/29 got pushed into the Atlantic Ocean.

I completely forgot their was R36ML cars!

11 hours ago, LGA Link N train said:

Is 34 St-Hudson Yards the westernmost terminal in the system

073bpsF.png

Excluding the Staten Island Railroad (which obviously possesses both the westernmost and southernmost station), the westernmost station is Bay Ridge–95 Street ((R)). The southernmost station is West 8 Street ((F)(Q)).

It was even mentioned already:

12 hours ago, RR503 said:

Here’s another fun one: excluding SIRT, Bay Ridge 95th is the westernmost terminal and westernmost station in the system. 

Edited by CenSin

11 hours ago, LGA Link N train said:

Is 34 St-Hudson Yards the westernmost terminal in the system

Dude. 2 posts above you... 

Always think twice, post once...

12 hours ago, RR503 said:

Here’s another fun one: excluding SIRT, Bay Ridge 95th is the westernmost terminal and westernmost station in the system. 

Edited by RR503

58 minutes ago, CenSin said:

073bpsF.png

Excluding the Staten Island Railroad (which obviously possesses both the westernmost and southernmost station), the westernmost station is Bay Ridge–95 Street ((R)). The southernmost station is West 8 Street ((F)(Q)).

It was even mentioned already:

Mhh the funny thing is I never look at the map that way, I always rotate it so that the streets of Manhattan are in perfect compass formation.It's weird to think Bay Ridge is further west than Hudson Yards.

13 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

I remember the "2 via 7th Ave/5 via Lexington" readings being on the same rollsign on some of the Redbird cars,

Yeah, that was because of construction on the Lenox Ave line in like 97/98.. It was one-way operation during that period. 

13 minutes ago, Coney Island Av said:

This is a real story that actually happened. Can't believe people are doing this, taking subways a bit too far...

Those who want to see what pics I took today are below! Anyways, on with the story...

Today, I decided it would be a good idea to fan on the (J) line, since I haven't been over there since November. I wanted to see the R32s, R42s, and especially the R179s, whose production set recently entered service. At Chambers St, I was taking photos when I noticed a ragtag group of kids in their teens waiting for the (J). I took pictures of an (M) put-in from Chambers, which was parked on the middle track. Eventually, an R32 (J) showed up and took it to Bowery. I then got off at the latter station and the R32 (J) pulled out. I decided to look through a tiny gap at the abandoned side of Bowery, but those kids apparently followed me here. I saw them standing at the end of the platform, which caught my gaze. However, the next thing those teen foamers did was illegal and could've gotten themselves KILLED in the process. The teens jumped off the platform onto the tracks and ran to look at the abandoned Jamaica-bound platform. The first two teens jumped off, but what the third one did was unsatisfying. Shortly after the third teen jumped off, an R160 (M) pulled in a few moments later. I then got on the (M) and went off to explore the Broadway EL. 

These foamers just take things too far. They could've tripped over a third rail and got electrocuted, or the third teen, if he wasn't quick enough to jump, would've been struck by that incoming (M) train and died. Also rats and other nasty horsecrap roam the tracks everyday, and they could've got bitten by one. But illegal trespassing. I mean, come on, it's the SAME EXACT THING ON THE OTHER SIDE. I want to look at the abandoned side too, but I don't trespass or jump onto the tracks, because I hate illicit activity and putting my life in danger. Get a life. That's all I have to say. 

Agreed, there's a fine line between adventurous foamers and adventurous foamers that do criminal activity, and doing stuff like that definitely crosses the line. I've also seen stuff like that at Broad channel (A) station, not sure why, but it's super sad.

Edited by NoHacksJustKhaks

18 minutes ago, Coney Island Av said:

This is a real story that actually happened. Can't believe people are doing this, taking subways a bit too far...

Those who want to see what pics I took today are below! Anyways, on with the story...

Today, I decided it would be a good idea to fan on the (J) line, since I haven't been over there since November. I wanted to see the R32s, R42s, and especially the R179s, whose production set recently entered service. At Chambers St, I was taking photos when I noticed a ragtag group of kids in their teens waiting for the (J). I took pictures of an (M) put-in from Chambers, which was parked on the middle track. Eventually, an R32 (J) showed up and took it to Bowery. I then got off at the latter station and the R32 (J) pulled out. I decided to look through a tiny gap at the abandoned side of Bowery, but those kids apparently followed me here. I saw them standing at the end of the platform, which caught my gaze. However, the next thing those teen foamers did was illegal and could've gotten themselves KILLED in the process. The teens jumped off the platform onto the tracks and ran to look at the abandoned Jamaica-bound platform. The first two teens jumped off, but what the third one did was unsatisfying. Shortly after the third teen jumped off, an R160 (M) pulled in a few moments later. I then got on the (M) and went off to explore the Broadway EL. 

These foamers just take things too far. They could've tripped over a third rail and got electrocuted, or the third teen, if he wasn't quick enough to jump, would've been struck by that incoming (M) train and died. Also rats and other nasty horsecrap roam the tracks everyday, and they could've got bitten by one. But illegal trespassing. I mean, come on, it's the SAME EXACT THING ON THE OTHER SIDE. I want to look at the abandoned side too, but I don't trespass or jump onto the tracks, because I hate illicit activity and putting my life in danger. Get a life. That's all I have to say. 

7 minutes ago, NoHacksJustKhaks said:

Agreed, there's a fine line between adventurous foamers and adventurous foamers that do criminal activity, and doing stuff like that definitely crosses the line. I've also seen stuff like that at Broad channel (A) station, not sure why, but it's super sad.

They could just be urban explorers who go out into abandoned tunnels. There's a ton of NYC based photographers who do that as well, so I wouldn't necessarily say that they're foamers.

1 hour ago, LegoBrickBreaker101 said:

They could just be urban explorers who go out into abandoned tunnels. There's a ton of NYC based photographers who do that as well, so I wouldn't necessarily say that they're foamers.

Good point, foamers isn't the best way to put it. Still, as everyone (including you) hopefully knows, it's very dangerous to be exploring or wasting your life on the subway compared to exploring other areas, the electrified rails and train's that can potentially hit you while you go to the abandoned area. They could be urban explorers, foamers or drug addicts, it's still dumb and will probably land them in prison. As for NYC photographers, not much different but usually their very careful and understand all the risks prior to their actions, a gang of teens with cameras in their hand's is not the same thing (especially since they weren't careful, jumped off the platform edge and barely made it back up, instead of going to the end of the platform for instance). Then again we don't know who they were, so unless there's any more info, it's hard to conclude. 

Edited by NoHacksJustKhaks

Probably not as much as you'd think. The signal system has very little to do with the conditions of the tracks. That's why you still see slow speed orders and reduced service on the (L) at times despite the new signal system. CBTC won't change that process all that much, so you'll see the usual maintenance work during middays and off-hours, even as CBTC expands to Flushing and later Queens Blvd.

23 minutes ago, Lance said:

Probably not as much as you'd think. The signal system has very little to do with the conditions of the tracks. That's why you still see slow speed orders and reduced service on the (L) at times despite the new signal system. CBTC won't change that process all that much, so you'll see the usual maintenance work during middays and off-hours, even as CBTC expands to Flushing and later Queens Blvd.

I was under the impression that service reductions on the (L) were due to it being 1 track/direction... I had read that CBTC at least somewhat increased throughput in flagged. Am I wrong? 

That's quite possible. Right now we only have Canarsie as an example and it isn't proving to be a good one as it pertains to maintenance work under CBTC signaling. Maybe it'll be different on the triple-tracked Flushing line, but until I see some evidence that train movement under CBTC during track work is improved, I expect the operations to continue as they were prior to the new signal system.