SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

Do you know if CBTC sets the trains to a specific speed when flagging is done?

From what I remember you create Work zone a work using tags. You would just define that area using a SIL4 device wayside. I have some documents and information if you like we used a lot of it for the 1st round of the genus challenge. I'll be happy to share.

7 hours ago, VIP said:

Anyone know why car builders or MTA did without Phantograph gates on NTTs. I know the newer LIRR models have them... 

Rider's can't pass thru driver cabs on the NTT's .. I believe you can on LIRR consists depending on the configurations you can switch from a full cab. The reason why SMEE cars had/have them. Passenger safety measures. 

Edited by RailRunRob

11 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

Why is there a conga line into 71st Ave when the (R) is on 10 min headway and the  (M) ended early? 

Sometimes the (R) itself bunched up itself due to earlier delays and at Forest Hills they switch crew, clean the train and check for sleeping passengers and that process can take five minutes to complete. Forest Hills isn’t a proper terminal so imagine how chaotic it is at for example 10pm if the (M) was ended earlier and all trains run local towards Jamaica but the (R) still terminates at Forest Hills. I’ve been caught up in that mess so many times and that’s a total inconvenience for everyone. 

2 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Sometimes the (R) itself bunched up itself due to earlier delays and at Forest Hills they switch crew, clean the train and check for sleeping passengers and that process can take five minutes to complete. Forest Hills isn’t a proper terminal so imagine how chaotic it is at for example 10pm if the (M) was ended earlier and all trains run local towards Jamaica but the (R) still terminates at Forest Hills. I’ve been caught up in that mess so many times and that’s a total inconvenience for everyone. 

I complain about that all the time. They should extend the (R) to 179th or turn it at Queens plaza in those cases. 

1 hour ago, LGA Link N train said:

I'm gonna say right now, Forest Hills is such an inefficient terminal that they should just extend the (M) and (R) to Jamaica-179 Street so that the (E) and (F) can run a flexible express service and if people bail for the express, then .........

Well the last time the tried that with the (F) and the (R) it was a disaster

15 minutes ago, kosciusko said:

Why are the doors between cars locked on the r68s and r46s only? It seems like a bit of a safety hazard to prevent people from moving between cars.

When they hit a curve or switch from track to track, the jolt one may experience when crossing the cars is enough to squish the person in between or knock them off the moving train. Also, the reason is that they're longer so the ends of the cars have to swing wider when crossing a switch leading to the ends closing in together. I think I'm missing a few points still, I know the question has been answered before on these forums and someone might have a little video or a better answer. Idk. LMAO.

Edited by danielhg121

3 minutes ago, danielhg121 said:

When they hit a curve or switch from track to track, the jolt one may experience when crossing the cars is enough to squish the person in between or knock them off the moving train.

If that is the case then why are all the NTT and r42 doors left unlocked? 

On 1/19/2018 at 1:00 AM, Subway fanatic said:

Okay?

My point was that the MTA does a disservice to a large number of riders by making them wait 10 minutes for another train when they are sending the very train that the riders were on to Coney Island empty. Obviously, being able-bodied and being told to get more exercise by the doctor, I don’t mind running the rest of the way on foot, but that’s 10 minutes multiplied by the number of people on the platform waiting for a (Q).

3 hours ago, VIP said:

Anyone else notice that the R42/R32 has painted roofs that are NOT consistent in color?? Why is this being done. Especially for R32’s why does it matter for their roofs to look shiny or new? 

It's necessary because the roofs are detoriating fast. The roofs (before SMS) had a whole bunch of scrachitti on them and it looked terrible. I remember that's how the 38s went when they literary had to put tape on the roofs.

3 hours ago, VIP said:

Anyone else notice that the R42/R32 has painted roofs that are NOT consistent in color?? Why is this being done. Especially for R32’s why does it matter for their roofs to look shiny or new? 

There are quite a handful of R32s that have rusty roofs like the R38s.

This is what happens when the trains themselves are well over their 50s, despite being "pure" stainless steel.