SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

(Q) train crawls in slowly to Lexington Avenue/63 street. An (F) train pulls in and leaves before the (Q) can open its doors. 15 minutes for the next (F) train. Meanwhile, another (Q) dumps a bunch of passengers off and they also need the (F). Hurray for great customer service!

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, CenSin said:

(Q) train crawls in slowly to Lexington Avenue/63 street. An (F) train pulls in and leaves before the (Q) can open its doors. 15 minutes for the next (F) train. Meanwhile, another (Q) dumps a bunch of passengers off and they also need the (F). Hurray for great customer service!

11:45 PM at Dekalb Avenue last Friday. A southbound (Q) sits for 5 minutes while an (N) tiptoes down from the Bridge into the station. Then we move — until a (D) cuts in front of us, and then sits at the platform for a good while. By the time we reach Dekalb, it’s tomorrow. Yay indeed. 

On another note, they’re about to cut (F) weekend frequencies to 5 tph so look out for more of that BS. I wish they could send a few (F)s up Second Avenue while they do this and maintain at the very least 6 tph weekends. The (F) is the only 6th ave local, and can be SRO on culver on weekends as far as 7th Avenue. 

44 minutes ago, RR503 said:

11:45 PM at Dekalb Avenue last Friday. A southbound (Q) sits for 5 minutes while an (N) tiptoes down from the Bridge into the station. Then we move — until a (D) cuts in front of us, and then sits at the platform for a good while. By the time we reach Dekalb, it’s tomorrow. Yay indeed. 

On another note, they’re about to cut (F) weekend frequencies to 5 tph so look out for more of that BS. I wish they could send a few (F)s up Second Avenue while they do this and maintain at the very least 6 tph weekends. The (F) is the only 6th ave local, and can be SRO on culver on weekends as far as 7th Avenue. 

It already has.

The problem with this is that then, uneven headways would exist. You would have to bump the (F) to run 9 tph (with 4 to 2nd Avenue and 5 for Queens Boulevard), which would be too expensive. If anything, maybe the (R) should be rerouted on weekends to 96th, which would help maintain (E) and (F) headways instead of this 12 minute headway nonsense on all the lines.

When the (R) is the only local, it is brutal for me, since I have nothing else (besides the (M) shuttle, to an overpacked (L) :blink:). The waits can be so horrendous. I remember one time trying to go a few stops, and when I get to the station, it said the next (R) was 29 minutes away. The bus couldn't even help me, because it was also far away (in Woodside). When the (E) and (F) run express, 20+ headways will become a new norm. Absolutely insane that it is the only QB Local as well. Of course this wouldn't be so much of a problem if I just took the express bus on weekends, since that's fairly reliable, but I want no part of the delays on the Queens-Midtown Tunnel Approach, so it's a lose-lose-lose for me. 

11 hours ago, Brillant93 said:

Question but is the rockaway parkway station being remodeled? Looking at the wikipedia page it says it is apart of the capital plan. 

As far as im aware, the station is part of the Capital Plan as it's getting ADA improvements and upgrades, not sure if the whole station will be remodeled

17 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

It already has.

The problem with this is that then, uneven headways would exist. You would have to bump the (F) to run 9 tph (with 4 to 2nd Avenue and 5 for Queens Boulevard), which would be too expensive. If anything, maybe the (R) should be rerouted on weekends to 96th, which would help maintain (E) and (F) headways instead of this 12 minute headway nonsense on all the lines.

When the (R) is the only local, it is brutal for me, since I have nothing else (besides the (M) shuttle, to an overpacked (L) :blink:). The waits can be so horrendous. I remember one time trying to go a few stops, and when I get to the station, it said the next (R) was 29 minutes away. The bus couldn't even help me, because it was also far away (in Woodside). When the (E) and (F) run express, 20+ headways will become a new norm. Absolutely insane that it is the only QB Local as well. Of course this wouldn't be so much of a problem if I just took the express bus on weekends, since that's fairly reliable, but I want no part of the delays on the Queens-Midtown Tunnel Approach, so it's a lose-lose-lose for me. 

Honestly not a bad idea. Make the (E) weekend QB local and the (F) express. Both run on 8 min headways (7.5 tph) and voila — decent service. 

(R) could go to 96th, or Queens Plaza to preserve the Broadway — QB connection. Headways should be low enough to allow (R) to relay without causing too much congestion. 

Edited by RR503

My commute home was pretty funny today... at 59th Street on the UPTOWN (D), the conductor was trying to announce that the train would be making local stops, and she ended up saying, "The next stop on this (D) train will be 7th Avenue". I don't even think she realized she was wrong, cause at one point the T/O even went on the loudspeaker and said "Partner, you've got it wrong... this is an UPTOWN (D), the next stop is 72nd Street!"

A minute or so later, the conductor went on the loudspeaker again and said "Next stop, 7th Avenue" again. There was a passenger on my train who genuinely got confused and at one point got off the train before someone told him the conductor was wrong and that the train was going uptown. 

9 hours ago, LegoBrickBreaker101 said:

My commute home was pretty funny today... at 59th Street on the UPTOWN (D), the conductor was trying to announce that the train would be making local stops, and she ended up saying, "The next stop on this (D) train will be 7th Avenue". I don't even think she realized she was wrong, cause at one point the T/O even went on the loudspeaker and said "Partner, you've got it wrong... this is an UPTOWN (D), the next stop is 72nd Street!"

A minute or so later, the conductor went on the loudspeaker again and said "Next stop, 7th Avenue" again. There was a passenger on my train who genuinely got confused and at one point got off the train before someone told him the conductor was wrong and that the train was going uptown. 

lol... She must've been on something...

That reminds me of the time when the (F) was running to Euclid, my conductor didn't know she was being rerouted over the (C) line and programmened the train to Coney Island. When we left Jay St-Metrotech, the R160 started to glitch out saying that the next stop was Bergen, then when we stopped at Hoyt St she turned off the system and made manual announcements...to Coney Island. It wasn't until we got to Franklin Avenue that she realized she was going over the (A). But that's not all! Then she started saying that this was an Ozone Park bound (F) train via the (A) line...and passengers at Euclid were not happy.

My favorite is the following [at 36th street in Brooklyn on a n/b (R)]: "(R) train to Forest Hills. Next stop Steinway. Stand clear." The number of confused glances I saw still makes me chuckle. 

It was a weekend, so many thought it was some weird service change I assume. I guess the poor conductor woke up on the wrong side of Newtown Creek... 

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

It looks like Andy Byford is out and about riding the subways and seeing who is doing their jobs and who isn't.  Some folks are up in arms. Good... I'm liking this guy more by the minute. Looking forward to him riding the buses too.

Maybe he should blend in with the passengers during midday hours to see how lazy some of the contract workers are. I pass by on the (7) when they run the trains express in one direction for inspection or maintenance work, and I always see a row of consecutive guys with hard hats and vests on just sitting on a bench and using their mobile phones. Perhaps this Byford could make notes of where all these lazy bastards are and hold their supervisors/companies accountable.

This city can’t have nice things because of these leeches. Gotta clean up the MTA from the bottom up.

Edited by CenSin

Guys, I got a question about the headway's on the (Q) in the mornings. I'm now going to have to be up at 96th street and 2nd ave at 8:30. I get on at the Lex and 63rd street station. Since its my first day, starting tomorrow, I was just wondering when I should leave and how frequent the train runs. Thanks.

2 hours ago, CenSin said:

Maybe he should blend in with the passengers during midday hours to see how lazy some of the contract workers are. I pass by on the (7) when they run the trains express in one direction for inspection or maintenance work, and I always see a row of consecutive guys with hard hats and vests on just sitting on a bench and using their mobile phones. Perhaps this Byford could make notes of where all these lazy bastards are and hold their supervisors/companies accountable.

This city can’t have nice things because of these leeches. Gotta clean up the MTA from the bottom up.

What happened apparently was he was riding on one line and he noticed that announcements were not being made the way that they should be. He was pissed to say the least and the individuals supposedly were pulled from service. I've been on lines where not one announcement was made. The attitude among some is, once I go off of the clock, I don't do anything related to my job. I mean really, if everyone worked like that, nothing would get done. In other words, if you're not doing something correctly, well you address it, be it on the clock or off the clock because that's part of being a professional. 

49 minutes ago, 78 via Stew Leonards said:

Why did they ever stop running the (C) to Bedford Park with the (D) ?

(C) was already a long line. BPB made it longer. 

The fact it went to 8th ave and that now Concourse only has 6th ave services doesn’t/didn’t matter. Anyone from north of 125 who wants 8th (or 6th) dumps the local like shit on fire at their first convenient express stop. Hell, I’ve seen people ride north from 116 to catch the express at 125. 

No one wants to suffer through those additional 7 stops. 

3 minutes ago, RR503 said:

(C) was already a long line. BPB made it longer. 

The fact it went to 8th ave and that now Concourse only has 6th ave services doesn’t/didn’t matter. Anyone from north of 125 who wants 8th (or 6th) dumps the local like shit on fire at their first convenient express stop. Hell, I’ve seen people ride north from 116 to catch the express at 125. 

No one wants to suffer through those additional 7 stops. 

But they still got the (B) going local from BPB via Concourse to 59th St, making every stop along the way

27 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Who in their right mind decided to split the (4) in two sections, have tiny buses to accomadate the extra riders, and have extreme crowd conditions on the road?

You’re assuming way too much logic onto the minds of the MTA. Remember. It’s a *special* agency. 

(But seriously why are they always splitting the (4) at 125? What does it gain them aside from access to those connection tracks at 125?)

@78 via Stew Leonards

Yes they do, but remember that the (B) is express in Midtown and in Brooklyn, making for fewer stops overall. The (C) isn’t. It’s a full length local service, making it more unreliable. The cutback from BPB shortened the (C) route significantly, thereby improving line performance. 

Edited by RR503