SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

R142 6263 has new lights, that car is the only car in the set that has the new lights, so it kinda looks like the converted 188 set with the new C car. I rode in it and there's no other noticeable differences other than the lights.

Hopefully, you mean 6362, the R142 car numbers start at 6301 and go up.

Assuming a typical amount of average wear-and-tear from continual passenger use, and proper, adequate maintenance, is there a possibility that the NTT's can make it as long as the SMEE's have? I often wonder about this. The R160s assigned to the (E) were recently refurbished after being in public use for a full 10 years. (I'm not sure if the R142/R142A's or R143's have had similar maintenance done to the same degree.) From what I've heard, the R142's assigned to the (2), (4), and (5) are sturdy, reliable subway cars, despite reaching nearly 20 years in age. Can the same be said about the R143's and R160's? My opinion is maybe. It all depends on how well they are maintained and how they stand the test of time.

13 hours ago, 78 via Stew Leonards said:

Trains that'll never get a new fleet.

(1)(D)(R)(S)

The (R) is slated to get R211's or displaced R160's for CBTC reasons.

The Rockaway Park (S) I wouldn't jump to conclusions on that one. It could get R211's or displaced R68's (this is what I speculate though)

The (D), not too sure. If ridership levels warrant it then put R211's there

The (1) may see a new fleet. but not in the near future

15 hours ago, 78 via Stew Leonards said:

(1)(D)(R)(S)

Obviously they will get new fleets, just as an example, id be surprised to see R68/A's on the (D) 500 years from now!

They will get newer fleets but maybe not as frequently or new as other lines for reasons like ridership (although the (R) might be an exception since it has decent ridership and did have some R160's for a while as well).

Edited by NoHacksJustKhaks

16 hours ago, 78 via Stew Leonards said:

(1)(D)(R)(S)

The R46’s are getting replaced soon so the (R) Rockaway (S) and possibly even the (F) will see R211’s. I’m tired of those R46’s tbh, I’m so glad when a R160 pops up on the (R).

The (1) and (D) the other shuttles will get their fair share of new cars hopefully within the next decade. 

Now if you would have said the (A) and (C) it’s more believable since the MTA loves to give those lines the hand me downs. So who knows when the 211’s come in they could very well give the (A) and (C) R160’s which I hope they don’t do. 

25 minutes ago, RR503 said:

So I was out foaming mezzanines earlier (don’t judge — architecture is cool) and I found they’d blocked off 7th avenue’s on the (F)(G). Why? Is this permanent? That’d be a crying shame. It slopes!! 

Permanently shut as of a few weeks ago. I was surprised to see the signs. My guess is it was considered a strain of resources to clean and keep safe, but really just laziness on the TA's part and a foolish waste of space. Thought they knew better than to still shut mezzanines by now--won't be surprised if the community pushes back on that one. 

MTA:

Let's build full length mezzanines on Second Avenue and at Hudson Yards, to help with capacity.

Also MTA:

Let's close existing full length mezzanines, even at heavily-used stations. They cost too much to maintain.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

58 minutes ago, MHV9218 said:

Permanently shut as of a few weeks ago. I was surprised to see the signs. My guess is it was considered a strain of resources to clean and keep safe, but really just laziness on the TA's part and a foolish waste of space. Thought they knew better than to still shut mezzanines by now--won't be surprised if the community pushes back on that one. 

I sure hope they do — P3F is spot on. I may write some letters or something... 

The things we do for this hobby...

Edited by RR503

1 hour ago, P3F said:

Let's build full length mezzanines on Second Avenue and at Hudson Yards, to help with capacity.

Honestly the MTA really needs to cool it with the mezzanines, it drives up costs way too much, I hope they totally redesign the stations for phase II and III to something more minimalistic and less cost and labour intensive. Stations shouldn't be a billion each. 

3 hours ago, 78 via Stew Leonards said:

I'm pretty sure I've never seen any other fleet on the (1) and (D) except what they run now, which I'm pretty sure has been consistent since the mid-late 80s. It'll probably remain that way til 2035 at least

The (1) hasn't seen much diversity in it's fleet assignments for decades, as you've stated. Once the R62s and R62As were mainstays on TA property in the late 1980s, the Redbirds on the (1) were moved elsewhere in the system to other IRT lines. The (D) did in fact run R40 and R40M sets during Yankees baseball game special trips back in the early 2000s.

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 1:30 AM, 78 via Stew Leonards said:

(1)(D)(R)(S)

Both the (1) and (D) got their current fleet of cars brand new with both the 62As and the 68s respectively. They'll likely receive whatever is to replace those two classes.

On 2/4/2018 at 1:30 AM, 78 via Stew Leonards said:

(1)(D)(R)(S)

The (R)  over the years has seen some different cars other than R46's show up on its line....Even today from time to time they will throw a few R160s on the (R) ..:1: :D: like lance pointed out had there's replace with the R68/R62A thats still in todays service....

59 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

I'm actually afraid for summer to return because I know I'm going to die of a heat stroke in the Wall St (2) and (3) station cause that dam station feels like the center of the earth...

West 4th Street is notorious for being a sauna as well.