SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Calvin said:

I've noticed the (C) has about 3 R46s lately with the regular fleet: R32/160A. 

Also, all the R142/As have been updated except for 7596-7610. 

Is there any particular reason as to why that R142A set has been somewhat sidelined at Westchester yard?

19 minutes ago, jon2305 said:

Is there any particular reason as to why that R142A set has been somewhat sidelined at Westchester yard?

From what I've seen recently, Westchester's maintenance is mostly just R62A but my guess is storage. 

Also, (nothing serious) : the R142As on the outside is rusted

Edited by Calvin

2 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

the (M) service expansion during the (L) shutdown will probably require ALL (M) trains to operate the full route to 71 Av because of the increased passenger flow to Court Sq-23 St and the full saturation of the 53 St tunnel in terms of capacity (15 (E) and 15 (M) trains), but how could that factor in with the inefficient fumigation at 71 Av and the combined local service with the (R) ? I assume the (M)(R) will not be extended eastward past 71 Av, so would (R) service need to be reduced/rerouted to avoid Queens Blvd and the conga line?

The (M) will be almost all to 71st on Weekdays. I’ve heard murmurings about (M)(R) to 179, or (M) 96, but idk yet. We’re talking weekends here — (M) will go to 96 during weekends of shutdown, so people were raising questions about the interface with the (B). As for terminal capacity at 96, you should be good. The 3 services combine to 20 tph — nothing for a terminal with the capacity to turn 30. Remember that all (B)(Q) service ran there during the 47-50 SNAFU with no problems (or at least not terminal related ones) — which totals 23 or 24 tph IIRC. 

Another idea. Instead of running (B) to 96 on weekends, why not just amp up (Q) service? Less merging, less route confusion, better service. Maybe go from 8 to 12 or something. Sure, it’s not express service, but it’s something that’ll come for a lot less than this spaghetti art. 

Edited by RR503

3 hours ago, Calvin said:

I've noticed the (C) has about 3 R46s lately with the regular fleet: R32/160A. 

Also, all the R142/As have been updated except for 7596-7610

I’m not happy about this. And R142A’s updated in what sense? And I have a funny suspicion that 7596-7610 will end up at Corona.

Edited by VIP

10 hours ago, RR503 said:

The (M) will be almost all to 71st on Weekdays. I’ve heard murmurings about (M)(R) to 179, or (M) 96, but idk yet. We’re talking weekends here — (M) will go to 96 during weekends of shutdown, so people were raising questions about the interface with the (B). As for terminal capacity at 96, you should be good. The 3 services combine to 20 tph — nothing for a terminal with the capacity to turn 30. Remember that all (B)(Q) service ran there during the 47-50 SNAFU with no problems (or at least not terminal related ones) — which totals 23 or 24 tph IIRC. 

Another idea. Instead of running (B) to 96 on weekends, why not just amp up (Q) service? Less merging, less route confusion, better service. Maybe go from 8 to 12 or something. Sure, it’s not express service, but it’s something that’ll come for a lot less than this spaghetti art. 

They could run some (M) to 96 weekdays too, might decrease the need for so many (N) and (R) to 96 st?

10 hours ago, RR503 said:

Actually, there were two (B) patterns: 

1. Bedford Park Boulevard/145 Street to Bergen Street (via 8 Ave/Culver)

2. 96 Street to Brighton Beach (via 2 Ave/6 Ave/Brighton)

The (B) trains operated at less frequent interval in order not to cause more delays on the tracks they traversed (the 96 St (B) had to merge with the (F) and (Q)north of Rockefeller). From observance, trains ran every 15 minutes on both patterns (4 tph).

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

7th-702x533.jpg?resize=640,486

The point of rearranging the fare control at 7th Avenue was to add turnstiles closer to the street stairs on both ends of the mezzanine. and move the booth closer to the 7th Avenue end. The outside of the mezzanine used to be outside fare control, but after the rearrangement it would be inside fare control now. The MTA probably figured there's no pressing need to keep the mezzanine open any more. Doesn't bother me. And just to play devil's advocate, the three SAS stations are all busier than 7th Avenue (and Hudson Yards will be eventually), and the platform elevators at those stations are generally in the middle of the mezzanines. 

11 hours ago, VIP said:

I’m not happy about this. And R142A’s updated in what sense? And I have a funny suspicion that 7596-7610 will end up at Corona.

Most of the unconverted R142As have received new door motors (the same ones as on the R188s).  They're Vapors but the newer model.

The unconverted R142As can't go to Corona.  They have the trains they need; they just need to finish fixing the bugs with CBTC and the remaining R62As will be off.  The only possibility (which isn't happening in the foreseeable future) is that 7591-7810 get converted to R188s, but even then those would be sent to Jerome if anywhere (as in the ones that aren't already there).

13 hours ago, Calvin said:

Also, (nothing serious) : the R142As on the outside is rusted

Are you sure that isn't steel dust?  And rusted where?  At the seams or the middle of the sheet metal?

2 hours ago, quadcorder said:

They could run some (M) to 96 weekdays too, might decrease the need for so many (N) and (R) to 96 st?

I don't see this happening as the (M) would have to merge with the (F) and (Q), which would create another bottleneck.  It's easier to do on weekends because the headways are bigger, but during rush hour the (F) and (Q) run 4-6 minutes and 6-8 minutes respectively, and both run 8 minute headways during the midday.  Capacity would be too tight to allow for that.

2 hours ago, R68OnBroadway said:

Possibly your lungs felt different due to a lack of asbestos and silica dust?

The thing is that though is that the stations on the (G) from Metropolitan Av and up (with the exception of 21 St - Van Alst) I get this feeling that the (MTA) somehow found time to make a few tweaks in those stations (like the platform edge for example)

17 hours ago, LGA Link N train said:

The thing is that though is that the stations on the (G) from Metropolitan Av and up (with the exception of 21 St - Van Alst) I get this feeling that the (MTA) somehow found time to make a few tweaks in those stations (like the platform edge for example)

Has the platform edge strip been replaced or does it look like it will be?  At 145 St on the (A)(B)(C)(D), they are replacing the platform edge strips and repaving the platform (albeit painfully slowly).  If the trackbed looked any different, it could be that they vacuumed up there recently (I saw this at Broadway-Lafayette a few weeks ago) or a recent track replacement (if the parts are shiny).

1 hour ago, Bosco said:

Has the platform edge strip been replaced or does it look like it will be?  At 145 St on the (A)(B)(C)(D), they are replacing the platform edge strips and repaving the platform (albeit painfully slowly).  If the trackbed looked any different, it could be that they vacuumed up there recently (I saw this at Broadway-Lafayette a few weeks ago) or a recent track replacement (if the parts are shiny).

The platform edge strip's were replaced with something new. And the side tiles from Metropolitan and Up looked shiny  (except for 21 and court Sq platform level) . One time I was at Court Sq and part of the platform looks like it was replaced or cleaned or something but the bench on top remained the same.

1 hour ago, Bosco said:

145th street could use all the help it can get. What a depressing, dirty, run-down station.

11 minutes ago, LGA Link N train said:

I've been noticing that the Cuomo'so are making a comeback on the (E) lately. Today I saw 2 sets (riding one right now). .

I feel that they would be truly useful it the seats on the far ends were flip seats. Other than that I like riding the Cuomo R160's regardless.

But then they wouldn't be true Cuomo trains because they wouldn't have physically removed any seats!  At least it's only one or two benches that flip up instead of all 6.  I also think the R211 is even better in that individual seats will be able to flip.

51 minutes ago, RR503 said:

Seen on Monday at Jay st. Train in question was a southbound (A) 

4xZsKbqm.jpg

Edit: fixed it...

I think there are LIRR codes on these trains too... in case these were to run on a railroad line in an emergency.

3 hours ago, LGA Link N train said:

I've been noticing that the Cuomo'so are making a comeback on the (E) lately. Today I saw 2 sets (riding one right now). .

I feel that they would be truly useful it the seats on the far ends were flip seats. Other than that I like riding the Cuomo R160's regardless.

The sets are overrated already. Mission failed, hence why there’s like 2 of them on the (F) and one be showing up on the (R) and even on weekends. I wonder when these sets are going back to normal. The scheme is ugly. 

18 hours ago, Bosco said:

If I'm not mistaken, freshly-installed track lacks the shine that is seen on worn rail in many stations throughout the system. I'm glad to hear that they're cleaning up the trackbeds, or at least trying to...