SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It really is sad how they haven't updated any of the NTT programs for the (G) . Primarily-

Briarwood is still announced as Briarwood-Van Wyck Blvd.

Exteior signage still shows "QUEENS BLVD LCL"

From Smith-9th Sts to Church Ave, the (G) still announces it's self as "... (G) train via the (F) line.)

When set to end at Coney Island, the (G) still announces the (F) below Hoyt St.

(I don't know if this was fixed or not) The Court Square bound (G) announcement says "This is a Long Island City-Court St bound, (G) train. The next, and last stop is: Long Island City-Court Sq".

2 hours ago, Lance said:

How often do the 160s run on the (G)? I agree they should be updated with the rest of the lines, but it's not that big of a deal when it's highly unlikely the trains in question will run on the route.

There's a pretty good chance that 8-car R179s will run on the (G), and IIRC they use the same programs...

Due to signal damage caused by an earlier fire, customers should expect longer travel times and crowding on the (B) and (D) lines, as the (B) operates via the (Q) line from Atlantic Av-Barclays Ctr to 96 St, running express between Canal St and 57 St-7 Av. 

<Q>, anyone?

Forgot to mention this, but yesterday I rode a 160 (C) where's the FIND and the automated announcements were missing the part time lines, during the afternoon on a weekday! At Fulton Street it announced transfers to the (2) , (4) and (J) but not the (3) and the (5) even though they was stopping there at the time. At Chambers it had a transfer to the (N) listed which doesn't stop there on weekday afternoons.

2 hours ago, Coney Island Av said:

They usually run on the (G) when an (F) is rerouted via Crosstown. Sometimes they will sign it up as a (G) to reduce confusion. 

The last time an R160 (G) ran was when the (F) ran to Euclid and (G) to Coney Island. It could've ran in-between, but this was the last time I saw it. 

Speaking of rare NTT catches, I found this on the (1) line today:

38491101970_fc338d806a_c.jpg

That's right, an R142 (1) train! 

Wait, this happened TODAY? Why?!?!!

So I've been mulling on what project I should do next since I haven't created anything since I went to Paris back in 2015. So I've finally decided to begin pre-production on a documentary series on the subway. I decided on the number six a long, LONG time ago as the episode count for the first series. 

What I need from you guys, and maybe from your friends as well, is six topics you think should be talked about. The top six topics will become the six episodes. 

In no specific order, I was thinking:

Operations, Fares, Emergencies, Crime, Maintenance, and Future Developments. 

PM me if you have ideas. My goal is nothing more than to get information to the public. Which will be an easy task considering my connections. People are more receptive to information when it comes from visual media. And I think this is a good way for people to start getting answers.

Independent of an obviously biased MTA. Not only is it a chance for other, unwashed, individuals to learn, but for me as well. It's time I've put everything I've learned film related to maximum use. However, if I get no input, those I've listed will be the topics. 

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 6:53 PM, Around the Horn said:

There's a pretty good chance that 8-car R179s will run on the (G), and IIRC they use the same programs...

Then they'll update the software. Since that hasn't happened yet and the only times the 160s ran on the (G) were when the line the line was extended to Coney Island or as a rerouted (F) train, it hasn't really been an issue worth fixing.

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 8:54 PM, trainfan22 said:

Forgot to mention this, but yesterday I rode a 160 (C) where's the FIND and the automated announcements were missing the part time lines, during the afternoon on a weekday! At Fulton Street it announced transfers to the (2) , (4) and (J) but not the (3) and the (5) even though they was stopping there at the time. At Chambers it had a transfer to the (N) listed which doesn't stop there on weekday afternoons.

The conductor chose the late night transfer option when picking the route in the AAS.

15 hours ago, Calvin said:

Random thought: Out of all the R142As I've seen so far, I've haven't seen 7661-7665.  

Most likely it's receiving some SMS work or other maintenance check.

Just a thought, are the remaining R62A singles at Corona going to be linked and moved over to the (6)?

I know it's been said many times that when CBTC is fully activated on the (7) soon, then the R62As are leaving but what's really that status on that situation. Those trains are definitely needed at this point.

2 hours ago, jon2305 said:

Most likely it's receiving some SMS work or other maintenance check.

Just a thought, are the remaining R62A singles at Corona going to be linked and moved over to the (6)?

I know it's been said many times that when CBTC is fully activated on the (7) soon, then the R62As are leaving but what's really that status on that situation. Those trains are definitely needed at this point.

Probably, but for now, the remaining 5-car sets are what's being moved soon to transfer the 3 5 car R142As at Westchester Yard. 

When the R160s were delivered a decade or so ago, why were they exclusively assigned to the (E) and not equally divided between the (E) and (F)? What I'm saying is how come you only witness R160s on the (E), but R160s as well as R46s on the (F)? While it was uncommon to see a set of R46s on the (E), it happened ocassionally. Is it because the (E) had a stronghold on the R32s back in the day? Nowadays, an R46 wouldn't ever pop up in passenger service on the (E).

1 hour ago, AlgorithmOfTruth said:

When the R160s were delivered a decade or so ago, why were they exclusively assigned to the (E) and not equally divided between the (E) and (F)? What I'm saying is how come you only witness R160s on the (E), but R160s as well as R46s on the (F)? While it was uncommon to see a set of R46s on the (E), it happened ocassionally. Is it because the (E) had a stronghold on the R32s back in the day? Nowadays, an R46 wouldn't ever pop up in passenger service on the (E).

The (E) has always been a priority over the (F) in terms of equipment because the (E) was and still is a busier line. And R46’s popping up on the (E) these days are highly unlikely. Jamaica has more than enough R160’s to make (E) service. 

Edited by VIP

3 hours ago, itmaybeokay said:

Super random, but I thought some of you might enjoy it. Made this for a friend in a transit-oriented facebook group. Mission was "what if there was an entirely transit focused TV station in ny in 1976, what would that look like?" 

LOL I saw NUMTOT AM and then the explanation and for a moment I was very confused

Here's something interesting.

In 2016, the ridership at Lafayette Av (C) was 1,639,947, while the ridership at Fulton St (G) was 1,639,930. That's a difference of only 17 people, so for statistical purposes these stations get the same amount of ridership. In some previous years, the (G) station has gotten more ridership than the (C) station.

The catchment area of these two stations is the one and the same (consider their names; the (G) runs under Lafayette Av while the (C) runs under Fulton St). It is reasonable to assume that people in the area have equal opportunities to take the (G) or the (C).

It's a bit surprising that the stations' ridership is the same, since there is a clear difference - the (G) does not go to Manhattan (which is the presumed destination of most riders) while the (C) does.

In terms of headways, the (C) runs very infrequently during rush hours (9-10 minute headways), while the (G) runs 6-8 minute headways which is similar to many other lines in the system.

Does anyone know why this is? Other than the mildly varying headways, all I can really think of is that people using Fulton Street are going mostly towards other outerborough stations, or some of the eastern (L) stops in Manhattan.

Edited by P3F

2 minutes ago, P3F said:

Here's something interesting.

In 2016, the ridership at Lafayette Av (C) was 1,639,947, while the ridership at Fulton St (G) was 1,639,930. That's a difference of only 17 people, so for statistical purposes these stations get the same amount of ridership. In some previous years, the (G) station has gotten more ridership than the (C) station.

The catchment area of these two stations is the one and the same (consider their names; the (G) runs under Lafayette Av while the (C) runs under Fulton St). It is reasonable to assume that people in the area have equal opportunities to take the (G) or the (C).

It's a bit surprising that the stations' ridership is the same, since there is a clear difference - the (G) does not go to Manhattan (which is the presumed destination of most riders) while the (C) does.

In terms of headways, the (C) runs very infrequently during rush hours (9-10 minute headways), while the (G) runs 6-8 minute headways which is similar to many other lines in the system.

Does anyone know why this is? Other than the mildly varying headways, all I can really think of is that people using Fulton Street are going mostly towards other outerborough stations, or some of the eastern (L) stops in Manhattan.

In my experience ridership entering either station is heading toward Hoyt-Schermerhorn overwhelmingly. Downtown Brooklyn and Manhattan for the most part. After rush hour,  especially on the (G) , what major destination is there heading towards LIC ? As you pointed out the catchment area is the same so why not use the more frequent train.  Actually the more populated side of the area is on the (G) side of Fulton Street if my memory is correct. Carry on. 

I seen an interesting operation on the (5) today, my train went on a skip from E180th - Pelham Parkway - Dyre, the interesting part was, the C/R told the passengers that wanted the skipped stops to take an shuttle (5) train across the platform, which would make all stops. There was an R142 sitting there signed up as the (5) shuttle. This was in the afternoon, I never seen anything done like that before.