SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

11 hours ago, Calvin said:

If you mean PM rush, most of the trips are between E.180 St to either Bowling Green or Crown Hts-Utica Av on the (4) doing a single round trip. 

There's some that continues on to Bowling Green after a Nereid Av trip. 

If you're talking about crews wise, those (5) Trips to Nereid are the late AM jobs that finishes up there.

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Missabassie said:

Rode an R46 (C) train with the first half signed up as [(M) to BROAD ST] [via NASSAU ST LINE] and the second half signed normally as (C) train :lol::lol:

I too was on one — just a few days after the swap began — with (M) on the sides in the in the forward half. Because it was 46s, everyone thought it was an (A) (yes, the proletariat does notice car types). I had to explain to at least 3 people that no, they hadn’t gone to the wrong level of Fulton, and no, this train wasn’t an (A), you’re just on a (C) with some identity issues. 

Edited by RR503

Can anyone here assure me that this is really happening or if I am on a high dose of Meth, because for the B Division MTA Installed INCONVENIENTLY the Bluetooth Countdown clocks in the Center of the Platform, and now are responding to complaints by installing the old style LED Countdown Clocks that are just there giving the time and date. It is outrageous how MTA is just being so lazy to add 1 or 2 more Bluetooth Countdown Clocks, and rather waste money on Old Crap that will either only give you Date and time, or be off 90% of the time.

5 hours ago, WestFarms36 said:

Can anyone here assure me that this is really happening or if I am on a high dose of Meth, because for the B Division MTA Installed INCONVENIENTLY the Bluetooth Countdown clocks in the Center of the Platform, and now are responding to complaints by installing the old style LED Countdown Clocks that are just there giving the time and date. It is outrageous how MTA is just being so lazy to add 1 or 2 more Bluetooth Countdown Clocks, and rather waste money on Old Crap that will either only give you Date and time, or be off 90% of the time.

You’re on meth. I can’t understand a word of that blurb.

43 minutes ago, CenSin said:

You’re on meth. I can’t understand a word of that blurb.

To put it on more simple words... Now that we got the new Bluetooth Countdown Clocks on the B Division, instead of MTA adding 1 or 2 more on the platforms, why are they wasting money adding the old A Division styled countdown clocks on those same stations that just are giving date and time?

Edited by WestFarms36

18 minutes ago, WestFarms36 said:

To put it on more simple words... Now that we got the new Bluetooth Countdown Clocks on the B Division, instead of MTA adding 1 or 2 more on the platforms, why are they wasting money adding the old A Division styled countdown clocks on those same stations that just are giving date and time?

I totally agree.

1 hour ago, WestFarms36 said:

The Bluetooth system is a stop gap. Being there not doing ISIM-B (ATS-B) the clocks could still be useful when CTBC start's coming online. The systems are incompatible the color displays would need to be switched over to the new system in segments. Queensborough Plaza would probably be a good place to see this. I would love to see if they could feed (N)(W) &  (7) countdown information on one display with two systems. Being the old count down clocks are well saturated in stations you might be able to feed the beacon information into them and just convert the data feeds. The new displays are LCD they would need a the very least an HDMI connection not sure if the cable length is an issue or if you'd just have a CPU in different sections of the stations feeding the displays. Maybe the reason there only in certain spots and not all over the station. May just be easier to add the old ones for now the ducts and everything needed is in place already. As long the data is there most people will be good.

Edited by RailRunRob

5 hours ago, RailRunRob said:

Which Clocks? LCD's or dot? Silent as far as messages?

The B division clocks don't have the announcements like a A division ones. So no next train information or service announcements. They clearly have the feature because they have played the see something, say something psa

2 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

The B division clocks don't have the announcements like a A division ones. So no next train information or service announcements. They clearly have the feature because they have played the see something, say something psa

It would be VERY useful if they did. In so many stations, the clocks are too far away to be seen (or are obstructed).

55 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

It would be VERY useful if they did. In so many stations, the clocks are too far away to be seen (or are obstructed).

Perhaps it's a blessing in disguise that the B Div countdown clocks can't speak, given how inaccurate they've been. At least on the IRT, you can trust what the announcements say.

11 minutes ago, officiallyliam said:

Perhaps it's a blessing in disguise that the B Div countdown clocks can't speak, given how inaccurate they've been. At least on the IRT, you can trust what the announcements say.

Not really, those clocks are also inaccurate at times, especially when a late night G.O starts or when a random train gets rerouted via another line. When they first start changing the clocks for the (4) to 138th St, the clocks north of 125th would remain showing Woodlawn Bound (4) trains arriving in the next 5 minutes, and would remain stuck like that for a while.

Not only that, just on Friday during the (1) G.O, the (1) running between 242nd and 137th showed up as Harlem-148th St bound (1) trains, instead of 137th St bound (1) trains. The time it took me to get from 242nd to 103rd St, the clocks did not update correctly until I got back to 137th.

Baseball special (4) trains to 161st St show up as 167th St bound (4) trains on those countdown clocks as well.

Edited by Lawrence St

7 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Not really, those clocks are also inaccurate at times, especially when a late night G.O starts or when a random train gets rerouted via another line. When they first start changing the clocks for the (4) to 138th St, the clocks north of 125th would remain showing Woodlawn Bound (4) trains arriving in the next 5 minutes, and would remain stuck like that for a while.

Not saying your statement is wrong, but the IRT clocks are quite a bit more reliable than B division countdown clocks. I wouldn't expect it since B division relies on Bluetooth, even half the time, the B division clocks display a plain white screen when im at at station. The IRT clocks can be skeptical at points but I can barely rely on B division clocks at any moment.

Edited by NoHacksJustKhaks

1 minute ago, Lawrence St said:

Yes, true, but they are far more nimble around these kinds of service changes than the B Division ones. Not only are the A Division ones more consistently accurate when service is running normally, they adjust *relatively* quickly to last-minute service changes. Meanwhile, the B Division clocks are busy signing up all kinds of wacky stuff during relatively basic reroutes - (E)s to 168th showing up as (C)s to Jamaica and (B)s to 96th appearing as (N)s or (Q)s to 145th. Not to mention, trains will often show up at stations having gone fully unmentioned by the countdown clocks.

And, yes, most of what I just mentioned are products of the system on the B Division not being as precise as the A, but that's what happens when you rush things to score political points instead of ensuring stuff is done properly.

5 minutes ago, officiallyliam said:

Yes, true, but they are far more nimble around these kinds of service changes than the B Division ones. Not only are the A Division ones more consistently accurate when service is running normally, they adjust *relatively* quickly to last-minute service changes. Meanwhile, the B Division clocks are busy signing up all kinds of wacky stuff during relatively basic reroutes - (E)s to 168th showing up as (C)s to Jamaica and (B)s to 96th appearing as (N)s or (Q)s to 145th. Not to mention, trains will often show up at stations having gone fully unmentioned by the countdown clocks.

And, yes, most of what I just mentioned are products of the system on the B Division not being as precise as the A, but that's what happens when you rush things to score political points instead of ensuring stuff is done properly.

I think those glitches got fixed. Last week, an (N) via Brighton showed up as an (N) to Astoria, and a (B) via Broadway showed up as a (B) to 57th St, so we're getting there.

28 minutes ago, officiallyliam said:

No, that's just because the B division clocks use ITRAC for destination information (since the B division doesn't have ATS)

18 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

No, that's just because the B division clocks use ITRAC for destination information (since the B division doesn't have ATS)

Is basically what I wrote:

50 minutes ago, officiallyliam said:

I understand that. But the use of a mostly-inferior system on the B Division is in large part because the governor wanted the entire B Division wired up with countdown clocks before the end of 2017. As well as being the reason for choosing a simpler system, that's why the clocks are often placed in terrible locations throughout stations.

Now, separate question: does anyone know what the actual platform lengths are along the Jamaica/Myrtle line are between Marcy and Middle Village? I'm trying to see just how feasible it would be to make the (M) a 600-foot train. I know most of the platforms are longer than 480' exactly, but does anyone know exactly what they are?

3 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Actually, a pair of R44 cars went up the Myrtle Avenue El to Fresh Bond.

r46freshpond.jpg

Yep - they can run (as seen here at Fresh Pond Road on a fan trip, 1976), they just couldn't pass each other leaving Marcy Avenue or Myrtle and Broadway. The curve is too tight, and two 75' cars could sideswipe one another.

An 8-car set of R44s couldn't platform at any of the stops, though. I'm trying to figure out how much space the platforms are missing to make 600'.