SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

1 hour ago, kosciusko said:

This sounds really weak to me. T/Os should be expected to run trains on time while also doing it safely, this guy is speaking as though it were mutually exclusive. If it actually is not possible to be safe while operating in a timely manner then timetables should be adjusted, but I don't really buy this dude's argument.

Precisely—you're either going to enter stations with speed and confidence or crawl because you're afraid that someone is going to jump directly in your path. Will it be ugly if it happens? Certainly, but 12–9s unfortunately cannot be prevented entirely. Without PSD's, it'll be virtually impossible to accomplish that. Now, I understand that some T/O's operate at slower than allowable speeds because of traumatic personal experiences they've had on the road, but otherwise it is not justifiable. There are so many variables that effectively drag service to a crawl and the addition of another (20 MPH entering all stations) will make a commute even worse than it already is.

Edited by AlgorithmOfTruth

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If anything, what resounds with me the most about that T/O's personal account of the job is mismanagement, e.g., the RCC, TSS's and Dispatchers. It must be hell having two upper paygrades giving you contradictory orders. You have dispatch at the tower rushing you like there's no tomorrow while having that one controversial TSS in your cab waiting for you to screw up and reprimand you for speeding. On the trackbed, in reference to Track Workers, supervision appears nonexistent in comparison. I held the men and women who make a living as T/W's in high regard until just recently. Not too long ago, I was on a (D) train going uptown along CPW express when I took a look out the window to study the work that the trackgang was in the midst of. I got very upset when I witnessed ONE T/W actually working a circular saw as he separated a portion of rail into two. The rest were either sitting snugly with their smartphones in hand or standing as they watched that one T/W complete a basic task. I'm thinking to myself, "My trip is being delayed over 1 dude working while the rest just loaf?!"

So I took (J) going home from work and as the train entered Cypress Hills, it went BIE while the station went completely dark. Luckily, the C/R offered to let us out by keying one of the doors open. I disembarked and walked the rest of the way as I was only two stops from home.

It felt strange walking through a dark station at night, especially with snow falling.

On 2/17/2018 at 8:35 AM, LTA1992 said:

So I've been mulling on what project I should do next since I haven't created anything since I went to Paris back in 2015. So I've finally decided to begin pre-production on a documentary series on the subway. I decided on the number six a long, LONG time ago as the episode count for the first series. 

What I need from you guys, and maybe from your friends as well, is six topics you think should be talked about. The top six topics will become the six episodes. 

In no specific order, I was thinking:

Operations, Fares, Emergencies, Crime, Maintenance, and Future Developments. 

PM me if you have ideas. My goal is nothing more than to get information to the public. Which will be an easy task considering my connections. People are more receptive to information when it comes from visual media. And I think this is a good way for people to start getting answers.

Independent of an obviously biased MTA. Not only is it a chance for other, unwashed, individuals to learn, but for me as well. It's time I've put everything I've learned film related to maximum use. However, if I get no input, those I've listed will be the topics. 

So I've decided that the series will revolve around questions. Each episode being about 5-7 minutes long (topic/content/time willing lol). Each addressing a specific question, each question belonging to a category. The former episode topics listed in the quote are some of the topics. Obviously, there are more.

So, aside from an introductory video explaining my intentions for this series, I've decided that the first episode should revolve around a question I'm not sure many regular folk get.

Simply put: What is the MTA?

That is where I'll begin. Funnily enough, while putting this all down on paper, I've come to realize that there are things I need to brush up on. People, politics, and the like. Yay! Learning for all and that is how it should be. I'm not shooting a thing until Spring hits though. No smart person shoots in the cold, trust me.

The fire of inspiration is lit. Also, because I have no shame, I made a small doc via a non-profit in Brooklyn called Reel Works that talked about my interest in subways as well as my time in foster care. It's 8 minutes long and called "This Is: Connections". It can be found on reelworks.org. That was for those who've been wondering who I am or those I've met who may just want to learn a little more about me.

Looking forward to the results of this project.

1 hour ago, TheNewYorkElevated said:

Seems the R32's are not done with the (C) train yet. I caught one today and yesterday. 

Also, anyone noticed the (1) getting a bit of a bad service pattern lately? 

DJ Hammers uploaded a video on YouTube not too long ago titled "Last Days of the R32 (C) Train." He's a reputable source, so we'll just have to wait and see how long they stick around on the (C). Also, I heard a few more R32 sets have been transferred to the 207th Street Yard for (A) service.

Completely out of left field but I figured I’d leave this here. Having been a member here for a long time I notice that many posters will quote something they’ve read and accept it as fact. An employee or the newspaper or the (MTA) stated such and such and entire threads become flame wars between opposing views. I’m coming from a generation where we question everything, no matter the source, because of past history. I’ve read articles and posts about various topics concerning the transit system in the metropolitan region and I can see the spin being perpetrated on the public. Just got off the phone with a buddy who worked with me on the (3) many years ago. Specifically the Lenox shuttle between 148th and 135th St. He said his grandson was doing a report on trains for school and the young mans teacher said that he made a mistake about our shuttle job. Seems that the teacher was relying on something she read on another site that said the station at 135th and Lenox had two tracks. My buddy emailed the teacher and he pointed out to the teacher that while the article does mention the two tracks there are pictures of the station on the site that clearly show the three tracks. The funny thing is that many people use the site as a reference tool. I’ve actually used the same site because I like to read the old service guides. Just saying don’t believe everything you read because even reputable sources have been known to have errors. Carry on.

7 minutes ago, Trainmaster5 said:

Completely out of left field but I figured I’d leave this here. Having been a member here for a long time I notice that many posters will quote something they’ve read and accept it as fact. An employee or the newspaper or the (MTA) stated such and such and entire threads become flame wars between opposing views. I’m coming from a generation where we question everything, no matter the source, because of past history. I’ve read articles and posts about various topics concerning the transit system in the metropolitan region and I can see the spin being perpetrated on the public. Just got off the phone with a buddy who worked with me on the (3) many years ago. Specifically the Lenox shuttle between 148th and 135th St. He said his grandson was doing a report on trains for school and the young mans teacher said that he made a mistake about our shuttle job. Seems that the teacher was relying on something she read on another site that said the station at 135th and Lenox had two tracks. My buddy emailed the teacher and he pointed out to the teacher that while the article does mention the two tracks there are pictures of the station on the site that clearly show the three tracks. The funny thing is that many people use the site as a reference tool. I’ve actually used the same site because I like to read the old service guides. Just saying don’t believe everything you read because even reputable sources have been known to have errors. Carry on.

That teacher fails at teaching critical thinking and intellectual curiosity. The thing is, either of those two things is also hard when kids these days are so used to passively skimming social media feeds that they develop a habit of resisting thinking.

How crowded does the (A) get out of Upper Manhattan in the mornings to be exact? One of my friends live along that line at 190th Street and he says that 6 minute headways aren’t gonna cut it. He also said that the line is crowded from about 7 a.m. to about noon (coming out of Upper Mahattan). I told him that they just don’t have enough cars available to meet said demands yet. And even if they do, how much more frequent does he want the (A) to be is beyond me. This is rush hour we’re talking about, a timeframe where everyone is going to work and school roughly at the same exact time in the morning. What else does he seriously expect? No one should think that they’ll be able to get a seat on a train/bus during rush hour at all, ever.

5th Or Madison Avenue (M) trains.. M trains go to 5th/53rd, then go up to 5th/59th, only to travel express stopping at 86th, 106th, 125th.

Than, we can have an (K) and (V) train change to a pink color, and travel up 5th and 4th Avenues, with similar stops as other trains. K trains run express and V's run local. 
After 135th, the trains go over the Madison Av bridge stopping at 138th St/GC, and go up to either Webster, 3rd Avenue (Bronx), or Boston Rd.

(B) and (D) trains get extended on Gun Hill Rd, and go into Co-Op City. (B) Trains end at White Plains Rd.

(7) should go towards BPC from Hudson Yards.

6 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Why is Union Square on Lex PRONOUNCED as "14TH ST-UNION SQ" yet it's spelled as "UNION SQ-14 ST" on the interior signage?

That must have been from how the strip maps and the information displays initially wrote the stop. The sign order has never been switched in the updates to the AAS on the (4) and (5) trains. The one for 34th Street - Penn Station baffles me even more because I remembered the signage rendered as 34 ST - PENN STA on the (2) train. Ever since the update to the AAS system for the (2) train, it had shown the interior signage as PENN STA - 34 ST. For me, I do not really know why that occurred.