SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been reading into some bellmouths, and have a question about the stub tracks that curve off of the local tracks on the Broadway Line north of 57th Street/7th Avenue. Could these possibly be connected to the CPW express tracks? Thanks

Did you know that the (MTA)ย tried re proposing the Queens Bypass, but however this got met with opposition hence why the 63 Street connection exists on the (F) today. I found this info in the book "the routes not taken"ย but I don't remember the page number this was on. Does anyone know what page this piece of info was in?

2 hours ago, LGA Link N train said:

Did you know that the (MTA)ย tried re proposing the Queens Bypass, but however this got met with opposition hence why the 63 Street connection exists on the (F) today. I found this info in the book "the routes not taken"ย but I don't remember the page number this was on. Does anyone know what page this piece of info was in?

That is not really the reason. The real reason is because the full bypass would've cost another $2B because the MTA is poor with money.

On 3/31/2018 at 12:28 PM, kosciusko said:

I don't really think anything can be done about unions without a serious shakedown up in Albany, but it's nice to see that it's getting some public attention.

Hire non-union contractors. I won't protest if you won't...

7 minutes ago, kosciusko said:

If only it were that simple...

The media needs to really expose the corrupt politicians, unions, and contractors. When they do and get the public behind them we can see some change. But our state, unions, and contractors are all in bed with each other nice and comfy.ย 

50 minutes ago, Brillant93 said:

The media needs to really expose the corrupt politicians, unions, and contractors. When they do and get the public behind them we can see some change. But our state, unions, and contractors are all in bed with each other nice and comfy.ย 

They did. Just two examples:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/28/nyregion/new-york-subway-construction-costs.html

https://nypost.com/2018/03/19/top-mta-official-says-agency-is-fine-with-corrupt-contractors/

People are too worried about getting to work to care about these things, and the pols are getting *so* much $$$$$ from these sources they can feel no shame.ย 

ย 

57 minutes ago, RR503 said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/28/nyregion/new-york-subway-construction-costs.html

https://nypost.com/2018/03/19/top-mta-official-says-agency-is-fine-with-corrupt-contractors/

People are too worried about getting to work to care about these things, and the pols are getting *so* much $$$$$ from these sources they can feel no shame.ย 

ย 

People are also too lazy to read. Seems like everyone who votes is allergic to reading and critical thinking, thus voting in people who do not have their interests in mind.

ย 

Edited by CenSin

On 4/2/2018 at 7:50 PM, RR503 said:

ย 

I feel that the more they can get the public behind reporting like this I'm sure they will start to care more. If people can go "The MTA SUCKS!!!" then show them reasons why. If the public knows the corruption going on i'm sure we will see a house being swept up overnight.ย 

You'd think so, but I doubt it. We've heard absolutely nothing from either Chairman Lhota or Governor Cuomo on this. If there's no effort or incentive to stop this on the highest levels, what makes you think there will be any progress for each subdivision of the agency?

30 minutes ago, LGA Link N train said:

I visited Chambers Street on the (J) earlier. Now while I do say that that station needs A lot of work, I had a surprisingly good experience while visiting that station. The station also didn't stink which I was surprisedย 

Itโ€™s a huge cavern which is well-ventilated by the action of moving trains. Iโ€™m not surprised.

1 hour ago, LGA Link N train said:

I visited Chambers Street on the (J) earlier. Now while I do say that that station needs A lot of work, I had a surprisingly good experience while visiting that station. The station also didn't stink which I was surprisedย 

Were you at the northmost end of the platforms?

I've been thinking. Shouldn't FASTTRACK work be done on weekends all the timeย instead of just mainlyย nights? Because even though the Clark Street Tunnel Hurricane Sandy-related repairs aren't neccessary FASTRACK work, they've been doing it every month since July of last year to get the work done.

Because at night, track and signal workers spend much less time getting the work done than they do on weekends or months on end.

Edited by Jemorie

1 hour ago, Jemorie said:

I've been thinking. Shouldn't FASTTRACK work be done on weekends all the timeย instead of just mainlyย nights? Because even though the Clark Street Tunnel Hurricane Sandy-related repairs aren't neccessary FASTRACK work, they've been doing it every month since July of last year to get the work done.

Because at night, track and signal workers spend much less time getting the work done than they do on weekends or months on end.

I actually agree with this plan. If FASTTRACK is expanded to the weekends, more work would be completed and subway service could be in a better position than we are in now

1 hour ago, LGA Link N train said:

I actually agree with this plan. If FASTTRACK is expanded to the weekends, more work would be completed and subway service could be in a better position than we are in now

Yeah. I was thinking about that weekendย (C)ย train frequencyย argumentย I had with RR503 and P3F a while back in the R179 Thread and the Proposal Thread a little while ago. I figured that track and signal maintainers/inspectors should only be doing work on full-closure lines rather than under traffic, because doing work while under traffic can be very dangerous. Plus, this allows trains to run a bit more frequently on the weekends to alleviate whatever crowding that occurs.

Doing work on full-closure lines is faster, cheaper, and safer, unlike under traffic. I wonder what any of the (MTA)ย employees on this forum think once they see this. Some probably will agree fully, some others will partially or won't at all.

This is all something that's been on my mind just today.

Edited by Jemorie

I would much rather have full closures (or complete weekend closures to give the workers time to do the work. They won't have to spend so much time staging the materials, taking them away andย deal with passing trains. Trains wouldn't have to deal with flagging, slow service, lousy weekend service, and persistent service changes. I hope Byford gets his way!

1 minute ago, Union Tpke said:

I would much rather have full closures (or complete weekend closures to give the workers time to do the work. They won't have to spend so much time staging the materials, taking them away andย deal with passing trains. Trains wouldn't have to deal with flagging, slow service, lousy weekend service, and persistent service changes. I hope Byford gets his way!

I was taking some time to think about what RR503 and P3F have been trying to tell me all along. Personally think the only way to run trains more frequently on the weekends is for any or all of the track/signal workers to be on full-closure sections rather than constantly doing them under traffic. Especially given that overall subway ridership has been increasing yearly, it's safe to say that weekend subway service should be more frequent. If need be, though.

That's why I honestly think FASTRACK should be on weekends instead of from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m., weeknights. Like how the (2)ย and (3)ย 's Manhattan-Brooklyn Tube has been closed every weekend for almost a year now including on major holidays like Memorial Day, July 4th, and Labor Day, there should be some other long-term weekend repairs as well. Or even a full 24/7 months on end closure. It all depends.

These are very important things to think about IMO.

They may still have to do work while under traffic on any or all of the outdoor portions during the non-peak periods though, because obviously they don't want to do them at night to disturb sleeping residents.

I think I mentioned something like this when it was announced earlier this year. Clark St and 14th Street could be good examples of long-term closures working to everyone's benefits. However, the closures must be fully utilized to maximize the amount of work done, which I feel is being wasted in both cases here. Clark St is a more understandable situation since the line is only closed on weekends. The upcoming 14th Street closure does not have those same restrictions and yet, beyond adding ADA access to 1 Avenue and testing the PSDs at 3 Avenue, not much is being done on the Canarsie line beyond some light fixes. This wastes a perfectly good opportunity to show riders the benefits of long-term construction. People are not going to accept this if they cannot see any real difference in the quality of the trip, from the stations to the ride itself.

As for doing FASTRACK-style closures on weekends, it's not an impossible task. After all, we've practically done this with 6th Avenue over the past few months with relatively no issue. The problem would be in how these closures would be handled with a weekend schedule. Obviously, there's more service on weekends than there is in the middle of the night, which means more service to reroute and/or suspend. Some lines lend themselves easily for being diversion tracks, the (D) and (F) running via 8th Avenue and Broadway respectively proving that point. The problem would be in some of the other, more difficult lines. Another thing that must be taken into consideration is what weekend ridership looks like. We all know off-peak ridership is increasing and we know it usually peaks in the summer. It would be really difficult to suspend one of the Manhattan trunks at such a busy point, more so if sufficient replacement service is not provided.

These are by no means impossible tasks that should never be explored. Far from it in fact. They just have to be handled with the utmost care and precision to ensure that A) riders can get around such diversions with relative ease, B) work is completed in aย timely fashion and is not delayed indefinitely, and C) riders can see tangible results from this type of work.