Jump to content

Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
EE Broadway Local

SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Recommended Posts

On 4/7/2018 at 2:15 AM, VIP said:

IMO the R32’s should have been assigned to the (A) promptly after being transferred from Jamaica. Honestly the (C) was gonna be full length if the R44’s were around! So, I don’t want to hear crap about spare factor or that R32’s are too old to run on the (A) 24/7...  they could have then kept 50 R40M’s for (J) service and 24 R42’s for work service. Last time I checked, the R40M’s performed better than the R42’s that were spared. The constant transferring back and forth is and was unnecessary. It seems like the (MTA) is ran by entitled teenagers. 🙄🤦🏽‍♂️

The R40Ms would probably be on the (Q) and (C) because the (J) wasn't shortaged. Did the (Q) have its fleet gap even in 2010?

Also, what is the male symbol for? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I think a roster would be good for this fleet discussion, if you have a question on why something has certain cars, just ask. 

This is the (L) train shutdown roster. Anything that is not on the list is unchanged.

(A)(C) 179/46/32

(B)(D) 32/42/46

(J)(Z) 179

(M) 143/179

(Q) 68/160

(F)(R)160

(G) 179/68

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, P3F said:

Maybe the people who ask for a swipe should consider not saying "suck my dick" when they get ignored.

That might make it so that people are a tiny bit more likely to help them.

Did you have a comeback for that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CenSin said:

Did you have a comeback for that?

I just said "I'll pass" but then he started putting on a tough-guy act. Since there was nobody else in the mezzanine, I just left because I didn't need to get into a fight with some older dude in the subway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, P3F said:

I just said "I'll pass" but then he started putting on a tough-guy act. Since there was nobody else in the mezzanine, I just left because I didn't need to get into a fight with some older dude in the subway.

You can quote me on this:

“Cowardice is often the result of good judgment.”

Edited by CenSin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Porter said:

Why were (W) trains running on a Saturday?

 

There were no (7) trains between Queensboro Plaza and Hudson Yards, so the MTA brought out the (W) to help with the crowds at QBP.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, GojiMet86 said:

 

There were no (7) trains between Queensboro Plaza and Hudson Yards, so the MTA brought out the (W) to help with the crowds at QBP.

To no avail might I add. There were many 25+ minute gaps in (N)(W) service, with the (N) pretty much being non-existent during specific times of the day because of signal problems in Brooklyn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They really should have pushed that (7) G.O back a week, the crowds from the car show yesterday on the shuttle buses was downright crazy. Not only that, some riders though that they shuttle buses were M34 buses, and got into a pissy fit with the driver at 42nd St, then some others though that the shuttle bus was going all the way to Queens, then they argued with the driver on that.

Just a mess.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If service changes were planned around every event that occurs in New York, nothing would get done. At some point, personal responsibility has to take effect and people have to pay attention to the world around them.

  • Thanks 4
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While your right, there were no posters in front of the Javits Center exit to say where the shuttle buses were.

The least they could have done was leave the (7) shuttle between 34th-Hudson and Times Sq, and then the following weekend suspend (7) service between 42nd St and 34th St (since to my knowledge they were reparing something at Hudson Yards.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Lance said:

If service changes were planned around every event that occurs in New York, nothing would get done. At some point, personal responsibility has to take effect and people have to pay attention to the world around them.

But still its the Auto Show, the one time that station sees obscene ridership levels (ok one of two; there's also Comic Con)

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

It’s extremely stupid to run the (W) at all on the Weekends. No one, and I mean no one, needs the Financial District on the weekend, and those who do can easily take the (R)

The only place you need supplemental service is between Qboro and TSQ. 

Since the headways were every six minutes combined (or every twelve for each line) it would make more sense to run additional (N)’s and have them short turn at Canal. This way they can be more flexible and not have their hand forced to dispatch out (W)’s, and they can get the trains back up to Ditmars quicker. 

It’s absolutely absurd, considering the (W)’s are technically (N)’s internally. 

Edited by R42N

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, R42N said:

It’s extremely stupid to run the (W) at all on the Weekends. No one, and I mean no one, needs the Financial District on the weekend, and those who do can easily take the (R)

The only place you need supplemental service is between Qboro and TSQ. 

Since the headways were every six minutes combined (or every twelve for each line) it would make more sense to run additional (N)’s and have them short turn at Canal. This way they can be more flexible and not have their hand forced to dispatch out (W)’s, and they can get the trains back up to Ditmars quicker. 

It’s absolutely absurd, considering the (W)’s are technically (N)’s internally. 

It’s just easier and less confusing to have the (W) run as riders are more familiar with that than short turning (N) runs and delaying (R) service at Canal St. Plus, Lower Manhattan and the local stations along Broadway see many tourists even if no one is going to the district. 

On another note, you seem to really hate the (W) based on your posts even before the line’s revival in 2016.

Edited by S78 via Hylan
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was at Utica (4) today using some WiFi I saw about 6 or 7 trains terminate there.I was very amazed at how fast each one left.Maybe 2-3 max dwell time on almost all of them.One New Lots bound (4) decided to end at Utica for whatever reason .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, S78 via Hylan said:

It’s just easier and less confusing to have the (W) run as riders are more familiar with that than short turning (N) runs and delaying (R) service at Canal St. Plus, Lower Manhattan and the local stations along Broadway see many tourists even if no one is going to the district. 

On another note, you seem to really hate the (W) based on your posts even before the line’s revival in 2016.

The (W) today serves a purpose. It throws a wrench in my life (well, the (Q) leaving Queens does) but it’s functional. On the weekends? No reason for it. 

Edited by R42N

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, R42N said:

It’s absolutely absurd, considering the (W)’s are technically (N)’s internally. 

Then why propose short turn (N) 's to Canal then...S78 via Hylan is clearly right.

Edited by Jemorie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, R42N said:

It’s extremely stupid to run the (W) at all on the Weekends. No one, and I mean no one, needs the Financial District on the weekend, and those who do can easily take the (R)

The only place you need supplemental service is between Qboro and TSQ. 

Since the headways were every six minutes combined (or every twelve for each line) it would make more sense to run additional (N)’s and have them short turn at Canal. This way they can be more flexible and not have their hand forced to dispatch out (W)’s, and they can get the trains back up to Ditmars quicker. 

It’s absolutely absurd, considering the (W)’s are technically (N)’s internally. 

Its not stupid to me...As a matter of fact they need to run them on wkends in my opinion to help (R) service and leave the (N) express...And yes broadway on the wkends gets good ridership

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, R42N said:

It’s extremely stupid to run the (W) at all on the Weekends. No one, and I mean no one, needs the Financial District on the weekend, and those who do can easily take the (R)

The only place you need supplemental service is between Qboro and TSQ. 

Since the headways were every six minutes combined (or every twelve for each line) it would make more sense to run additional (N)’s and have them short turn at Canal. This way they can be more flexible and not have their hand forced to dispatch out (W)’s, and they can get the trains back up to Ditmars quicker. 

It’s absolutely absurd, considering the (W)’s are technically (N)’s internally. 

Broadway could use all of the service that it gets. Downtown is becoming more residential by the day. New restaurants opening down there. It USED to be dead on weekends. That is changing. Those trains are PACKED. They need to have the (N) run express and have the (W) and (R) as the local counterparts.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a reason why KISS (keep it simple stupid) principles exist. Using the example above, everyone knows the (W) runs from Astoria to Whitehall St on weekdays. As there is a need for additional service with the suspension of (7) train service between Queens and Manhattan, it is infinitely easier to explain to riders that special (W) train service will run on the weekend as opposed to the proposed plan to short-turn some (N) trains. Everyone knows the last stop for almost every (W) train is Whitehall St. For most riders, Canal St is seen as a through station and they will undoubtedly be confused as to why this (N) is not running to Brooklyn as it should, resulting in delays as the train crew explains what's going on. Remember, riders get confused by the rush hour (2) and (5) trains that don't go to Flatbush Av all the time and those runs are in the schedule. If they cannot comprehend something that happens every weekday, what makes you think they'll figure out (N) trains to Canal St?

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Lance said:

There is a reason why KISS (keep it simple stupid) principles exist. Using the example above, everyone knows the (W) runs from Astoria to Whitehall St on weekdays. As there is a need for additional service with the suspension of (7) train service between Queens and Manhattan, it is infinitely easier to explain to riders that special (W) train service will run on the weekend as opposed to the proposed plan to short-turn some (N) trains. Everyone knows the last stop for almost every (W) train is Whitehall St. For most riders, Canal St is seen as a through station and they will undoubtedly be confused as to why this (N) is not running to Brooklyn as it should, resulting in delays as the train crew explains what's going on. Remember, riders get confused by the rush hour (2) and (5) trains that don't go to Flatbush Av all the time and those runs are in the schedule. If they cannot comprehend something that happens every weekday, what makes you think they'll figure out (N) trains to Canal St?

Couldn’t have said it better myself.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, Lance said:

 what makes you think they'll figure out (N) trains to Canal St?

I’m not sure if you rode the (N) back in the 80s and 90s (when it was running via Montague), but I did. During weekdays, when they couldn’t send all the trains to Sea Beach, they short turn trains at Canal (not Whitehall) and it worked like a charm. 

Broadway could use all of the service that it gets. Downtown is becoming more residential by the day. New restaurants opening down there. It USED to be dead on weekends. That is changing. Those trains are PACKED. They need to have the (N) run express and have the (W) and (R) as the local counterparts.

I ride from QBP to DeKalb Tues-Sat, and most of the time, I see the (W) empty at Prince St southbound during the peak of the AM Rush. Astoria needs the extra service, and you can’t send more trains through DeKalb, that’s the only reason the supplemental service exists. 

Edited by R42N

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, R42N said:

I ride from QBP to DeKalb Tues-Sat, and most of the time, I see the (W) empty at Prince St southbound during the peak of the AM Rush. Astoria needs the extra service, and you can’t send more trains through DeKalb, that’s the only reason the supplemental service exists. 

One empty (W) train means squat.  Weekends, the (Q) is packed, and so are the local trains with people coming and going. In fact the (Q) has really become slammed since it started terminating at 96th on weekends.  They really need to run more (Q) service because the waits are long for whatever reason, and then when train finally comes it's slammed beyond belief. A lot of the ridership is coming for tourists and we have record levels of them coming here. The (MTA) needs to step up their game and provide adequate service. It's not cute to go shopping only to be smashed on a train on a Saturday or Sunday with your bags because of such stingy service.  

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

One empty (W) train makes squat.  Weekends, the (Q) is packed, and so are the local trains with people coming and going. In fact the (Q) is really become slammed since it started terminating at 96th.  They really need to run more (Q) service because the waits are long for whatever reason and then when train finally comes it's slammed beyond belief. A lot of the ridership is coming for tourists and we have record levels of them coming here. The (MTA) needs to step up their game and provide adequate service. It's not cute to go shopping only to be smashed on a train with your bags because of such stingy service.  

Am I disagreeing with you there? SAS needs more service, 4th Avenue needs more service, heck most of New York needs more service. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, R42N said:

Am I disagreeing with you there? SAS needs more service, 4th Avenue needs more service, heck most of New York needs more service. 

 

 

Based on your previous comments you appear to be. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.