SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

1 minute ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Based on your previous comments you appear to be. 

The only argument I’m making is that Lower Broadway doesn’t need additional weekend service beyond the (W). It was just the (R) on weekdays until last year. 

The current (N)(Q)(R) and (W) serves a purpose on the weekdays, but the weekend (W) is only there to supplement (7) riders, which is only necessary between QBP and TSQ. The goal should be to get trains back into the effected area as quickly as possible. 

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, R42N said:

The only argument I’m making is that Lower Broadway doesn’t need additional weekend service beyond the (W). It was just the (R) on weekdays until last year. 

The current (N)(Q)(R) and (W) serves a purpose on the weekdays, but the weekend (W) is only there to supplement (7) riders, which is only necessary between QBP and TSQ. The goal should be to get trains back into the effected area as quickly as possible. 

I disagree. The (W) should run to at least Whitehall on weekends and terminate there.  Dare I say perhaps further into Brooklyn, given the gentrification of areas like Sunset Park.  Bay Ridge has been asking for better subway service for years because the (R) is for "rarely".  In Manhattan the (N) can run express to help the (Q) which is now the train of "choice" for those on the Upper East Side (I'm sure some of them love the idea that it ends at 96th street for a number of reasons).

2 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

the train of "choice" for those on the Upper East Side (I'm sure some of them love the idea that it ends at 96th street for a number of reasons).

The real reason for those “some” is that they don’t have to fraternize with the less-affluent persons from East Harlem and the Bronx. It’s basically their train. Speed wise, the (6) is faster. 

1 hour ago, R42N said:

The real reason for those “some” is that they don’t have to fraternize with the less-affluent persons from East Harlem and the Bronx. It’s basically their train. Speed wise, the (6) is faster. 

You may want to re think that statement... Speed wise? The (6) is only faster if both 96th bound (Q) and PelhamBay Park (6) pull out of 14 Street-Union Square at the same time. But who would get off an Uptown (East Side) train to transfer to another? So the “speed wise” theory that one can save time is null and void, especially since the (6) is plagued by delays. 

4 hours ago, R42N said:

I’m not sure if you rode the (N) back in the 80s and 90s (when it was running via Montague), but I did. During weekdays, when they couldn’t send all the trains to Sea Beach, they short turn trains at Canal (not Whitehall) and it worked like a charm.

You do realize you're referring to a service that hasn't existed in well over 20 years, right? Not only has ridership changed within that time span. So has Transit's approach to labeling services, which is why we no longer have <N> trains or similar such services.

For the record, I have not ever ridden those trains back in the day as I wasn't on this earth back in the '80s.:P

12 minutes ago, Lance said:

You do realize you're referring to a service that hasn't existed in well over 20 years, right? Not only has ridership changed within that time span. So has Transit's approach to labeling services, which is why we no longer have <N> trains or similar such services.

For the record, I have not ever ridden those trains back in the day as I wasn't on this earth back in the '80s.:P

Well, just under 20 years, July of 2001, but you make a fair point. 

Edited by R42N

7 hours ago, R42N said:

The (R) is about to go to 5tph because they don't want more than 15tph on QB during the weekend. Anything to alleviate that pain is good in my books. The (R) is right now the only line that connects Times Square and the WTC -- two very touristy areas -- and from that alone, gets massive ridership.

In general, though, you can't run (W)s on weekends because of flagging. What they should do instead is cut the (R) to QP for the duration of the CBTC install so that the (E)(F)(R) can maintain at least 6tph weekend. You'd send the (E) local of course.

This is especially important given the (L) shutdown -- those coming from Williamsburg on the (G) aren't gonna disappear into thin air at Court Square. You need good (E) service (7.5tph at least) to absorb them, lest the (7) maintain its weekday crowding situation. 

I would just send the (R) to Astoria on weekends because of the CBTC work instead of having it terminate at Queens Plaza, and have an OOS transfer between Queens Plaza and Queensboro Plaza. Astoria is getting more populated and having the (N) As the sole service on the line on weekends isn't a good idea.

@AlgorithmOfTruth I read the letter posted by the T/O and there's a few points that are just not possible.

If the minimum required recovery time between shifts is 16 hours, that means the only possible way to do that is an 8 hour spread (unless the following day is a day off). So if you want a lunch break, they need to take it out of your pay, which means that you'll only get 7-7.5 hours of pay (and won't be allowed to work any overtime). With the general culture of the workers being that longer shifts are more desirable, they wouldn't go for it (and with the minimum run pay being 8 hours, either management would have to renegotiate the base pay rates to account for that, or they would have to lower the minimum run pay). And management doesn't like giving out unnecessary overtime, but if service is delayed, you can't just have the operators walk out at the end of 7-8 hours. Not to mention that a lot of MTA workers like long shifts because they pay more.

As for shift work, well it's necessary if you're going to have a 24/7 system. Me personally, I'm not a morning person, so I'll take an afternoon shift over a morning shift any day (but at the same time, there's people who like showing up at 4am or 5am and getting off at lunchtime with the whole day ahead of them). Some companies offer night differential (not sure if that's the case at the MTA), and sometimes even differential for an afternoon shift, but no way can you have a functioning 24/7 system if you don't have workers early mornings, overnights, and weekends. 

I do agree with allowing napping in the break rooms. To me, if it's a break, you should be allowed to use that time however you please.

20 hours ago, S78 via Hylan said:

It’s just easier and less confusing to have the (W) run as riders are more familiar with that than short turning (N) runs and delaying (R) service at Canal St. Plus, Lower Manhattan and the local stations along Broadway see many tourists even if no one is going to the district. 

On another note, you seem to really hate the (W) based on your posts even before the line’s revival in 2016.

Not to mention you have Staten Island residents coming off the ferry and express buses.

8 hours ago, R42N said:

Not if you're going to West Midtown.

Edited by checkmatechamp13

16 minutes ago, Calvin said:

Has there been a change in maintenance with the R62As on the (6) ? or is it just like the 142As?

No change, those cars are getting the shit beat out of them the same way the R142A’s did. Corona took excellent care of those cars as if they were human children. Then again Corona is IMO the best IRT yard. 

19 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

I rode those Cuomo (L) trains quite a few times during the rush hour recently and the folded seats are always in the down position, I guess they scrapped the seatless train idea. 

As they did with the (E) in 2010 they should have modified those sets they way they did with the 10-car R160’s... the inconsistency is getting out of hand. 🙄

30 minutes ago, AlgorithmOfTruth said:

The Manhattan-bound platform of the 104th Street (J) Train Station appears fully complete, yet it still hasn't been opened for public use. Anyone know the reason for the hold up?

They haven’t added the service signs yet and some of the reinforcement panels need painting.

20 hours ago, VIP said:

Then again Corona is IMO the best IRT yard.

I believe Van Cortlandt (240) is also great with car maintenance within the mainline. For some odd reason, Mosholu does not always get their cars maintained as well as Wakefield or East 180th Street/Unionport.

Anyways, I also agree with you @VIP that Corona is better at car maintenance as well.

Edited by 4 via Mosholu
Just wanted to add agreement about Corona

53 minutes ago, 4 via Mosholu said:

I believe Van Cortlandt (240) is also great with car maintenance within the mainline. For some odd reason, Mosholu does not always get their cars maintained as well as Wakefield or East 180th Street/Unionport.

Anyways, I also agree with you @VIP that Corona is better at car maintenance as well.

On the tender, loving, care side Corona Yard seems good at what they do in cleaning their cars. There was an article about this just last week or the week before.

On the technical/mechanical side, I think Mosholu & E 180th St Facilities or hands on with their fleets. Livonia also does a decent job IMO in keeping those R62's in shape and cool during the summer.

Not sure if it has been discussed here before but what is with the gridlock that plagues Main Street on the (7) and <7> during the evening rush mainly between 6-8PM?  There's usually a conga line of trains waiting to enter Main Street and only a trickle of trains heading back west into Manhattan or the yard.  There doesn't appear to be any prioritization between waiting (7) and <7> trains waiting to enter the terminal either.  Is it an issue with being a three-track terminal or just poor terminal ops with getting crews ready to head back out?