SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

What happens when t/o s punch the wrong lineup? Will they get disciplined or taken OOS?

The twitter people mentioned it here

Crazy thing is this is not the first time someone called that out on Twitter. Back in February a (Q) Train accidentally punched a the 4th Avenue lineup at Dekalb Avenue and 6 people went off on twitter about this. 

Sometimes you can't be too sure. /s

Seriously though, it strengthens the argument for a more centralized route guidance system, eliminating the need to punch for a specific lineup at these critical junctions. Of course, since that's a ways away, a better argument would be to make sure the operators are paying attention to their punches to ensure they choose the correct lineup.

On 4/19/2018 at 1:18 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I haven't heard any native New Yorkers using it.

Prepare to have your world turned upside-down: Luis Vazquez-Willhelm, a Financial District real estate agent who celebrated America's Bicentennial in the neighborhood as a child and lived in the very first apartment complex built in BPC overlooking the WFC construction site and recently built WTC, runs a popular Facebook page called 'FiDi Fan Page', where he trumps up all the new additions and changes to the district, celebrating it as the hottest new residential destination. If he's not a native New Yorker, then who is? I admit I've only lived here a little over ten years so far.

7 minutes ago, Porter said:

Prepare to have your world turned upside-down: Luis Vazquez-Willhelm, a Financial District real estate agent who celebrated America's Bicentennial in the neighborhood as a child and lived in the very first apartment complex built in BPC overlooking the WFC construction site and recently built WTC, runs a popular Facebook page called 'FiDi Fan Page', where he trumps up all the new additions and changes to the district, celebrating it as the hottest new residential destination. If he's not a native New Yorker, then who is? I admit I've only lived here a little over ten years so far.

He's a real estate broker looking to make money.  They always come up with these stupid names.  SoHo=South of Houston Street, TriBeCa=Triangle Below Canal Street and NoMad=North of Madison Avenue... Not exactly creative...

Years ago they tried that crap with my neighborhood to jack up the prices even further and it was a bust... NoMa... North of Manhattan... I'll keep Riverdale. Thanks.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

5 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

He's a real estate broker looking to make money.  They always come up with these stupid names.

So do most of these names indeed originate from native New Yorkers looking to make a buck on transplants?

10 minutes ago, Porter said:

So do most of these names indeed originate from native New Yorkers looking to make a buck on transplants?

These names usually come from real estate brokers trying to hype up a neighborhood to make it sound trendy so they can jack up the rents, and yes it's geared towards transplants that don't know any better.  A lot of these trendy neighborhoods were previously dumps... Look at SoHo in the 80s. No one lived there but squadders.  TriBeCa was a mix of industrial and residential places and boarded the not so desirable Chinatown (at the time) and look at it now. It's one of the most expensive neighborhoods in the entire City.

I've even heard people on the way to my office in the elevator.  A bunch of clueless transplants get on and brag about how they live in such and such neighborhood (and overpay in rent), but it's okay because they have subway access... I just sit there laughing to myself... If you said you lived in Downtown in the Financial District years ago, people would likely give you a look because the place was a ghost town after work. No one lived down there. Now there's all of these trendy restaurants opening up, so they have to come up with a "hip" sounding name for it to justify paying $3,500+ a month for a tiny one bedroom or better yet a studio. lol

On 4/14/2018 at 11:59 PM, LGA Link N train said:

3 minutes in a sweaty Broadway Platform where I saw some hot chicks. (F) train arrives and had Great Air conditioning. But I got off at 42 Street. Got on the (S) 42 Street. Walking dead advertisements 👌👌👌👌.  I get off at Grand Central where I saw some more hot chicks and got on the (7)

So did you talk to those hot chicks?

On 4/18/2018 at 4:35 PM, Around the Horn said:

Aside from tourists going to the 9/11 memorial, not many people in lower Manhattan are using the (R) 

That and SI residents transferring from the ferry or express buses.

28 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

He's a real estate broker looking to make money.  They always come up with these stupid names.  SoHo=South of Houston Street, TriBeCa=Triangle Below Canal Street and NoMad=North of Madison Avenue... Not exactly creative...

It's North of Madison Square. North of Madison Avenue is the Harlem River.

16 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I've even heard people on the way to my office in the elevator.  A bunch of clueless transplants get on and brag about how they live in such and such neighborhood (and overpay in rent), but it's okay because they have subway access... I just sit there laughing to myself... If you said you lived in Downtown in the Financial District years ago, people would likely give you a look because the place was a ghost town after work. No one lived down there. Now there's all of these trendy restaurants opening up, so they have to come up with a "hip" sounding name for it to justify paying $3,500+ a month for a tiny one bedroom or better yet a studio. lol

If somebody has a high-paying job it may very well make sense to get a place within walking distance of work so they don't have to deal with FastTrack or express buses/commuter rail lines running every 30-60 minutes.

19 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

1. It's North of Madison Square. North of Madison Avenue is the Harlem River.

2. If somebody has a high-paying job it may very well make sense to get a place within walking distance of work so they don't have to deal with FastTrack or express buses/commuter rail lines running every 30-60 minutes.

1. Madison Square... Madison Avenue... It's some made up name either way... I could care less. I had never heard of the term NoMad before until a few years ago when suddenly that area became a hot commodity.  I always thought it was North of Madison Avenue due to Madison starting at 23rd street, so in other words, "north" of that area (Madison and 23rd), which is essentially where NoMad is.

2. It's not about "if".  As the industries have changed here in NYC and move towards more tech and more finance jobs overall, guys especially in finance are expected to log crazy hours, so they may work 16 - 18 hour days, have a place within walking distance, and then come right back to work. I'm well aware of it.  That has nothing to do with the stupid names being created to jack up rents and make previous dumps trendy.  That's just the way things are going due to increasingly longer commutes. People in general want to be closer to their jobs as a result.  A no-brainer there.  Even within the City, there are times when commutes with the bus or the subway can take almost an hour because of congestion or delays for relatively short distances.

TRACK REPLACEMENT
(J) No trains between Marcy Av and Broadway Junction
(M) No trains running

VIADUCT RECONSTRUCTION
(M) No trains running

If anyone wants to catch the (M) Shuttle, this is YOUR time!! 

To clarify, this is for the 27-29th

Edited by Train92

1 hour ago, N6 Limited said:

On which days is the QBL not messed up? 😄

Weekdays where everything is running normal and fugimtation isn't bad at Forest Hills.

What I'm trying to say is that there was weekend construction last week on the express tracks. which made queens bound (E)(F) and (R) trains crawl like bugs, so since I didn't have anything to do after my internship program, I decided to go home but wanted to go home before 6:30. Though I should've ignored going to Lexington All together

Edited by LGA Link N train