SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Today at the 125th street on the LEX, going south as I'm walking down the stairs I noticed the countdown clock says a (4) to Woodlawn is pulling in, when the train pulled in, it was a R62A (4) train!!! I was like, 62A (4) train change of plans, I'm riding this thing up to Woodlawn, and the train was fairly empty too, double whammy😃 I'm giddy as hell and then the doors open and the C/R says its the last stop no passengers... I was so bummed, since the G.O had ended, they probably was taking all the 62A (4) trains OOS at 125th to go back to Westchester Yard. Took the (5) train south and saw another 62A (4) going express between Union Square and Grand Central, at least I got an 32 (C) train going home.

Edited by trainfan22

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Today at the 125th street on the LEX, going south as I'm walking down the stairs I noticed the countdown clock says a (4) to Woodlawn is pulling in, when the train pulled in, it was a R62A (4) train!!! I was like, 62A (4) train change of plans, I'm riding this thing up to Woodlawn, and the train was fairly empty too, double whammy😃 I'm giddy as hell and then the doors open and the C/R says its the last stop no passengers... I was so bummed, since the G.O had ended, they probably was taking all the 62A (4) trains OOS at 125th to go back to Westchester Yard. Took the (5) train south and saw another 62A (4) going express between Union Square and Grand Central, at least I got an 32 (C) train going home.

Not all of them, there were at least two sets that went up to Woodlawn today

Stations that will be ADA compliant in the 2015-19 Capital Plan:

Bedford Pk Blvd on the B/D line in the Bronx

Gun Hill Rd on the 5 line in the Bronx

149 St-Grand Concourse on the 4 line in the Bronx

149 St-Grand Concourse on the 2/5 line in the Bronx

86 St on the R line in Brooklyn

Bedford Av on the L line in Brooklyn

Greenpoint Av on the G line in Brooklyn

Eastern Pkwy-Bklyn Museum on the 2/3 line in Brooklyn

Rockaway Pkwy on the L line in Brooklyn

59 St on the N/R line in Brooklyn

95 St on the R line in Brooklyn

1 Av on the L line in Manhattan

Chambers St on the J/Z line in Manhattan

Times Sq-42 St on the S shuttle in Manhattan

Astoria Blvd on the N/W line in Queens

Court Square on the G line in Queens

Woodhaven Blvd on the J line in Queens

6 minutes ago, R68OnBroadway said:

Was this planned or did someone decide to increase accessibility within the system due to recent criticism? 

IIMN, I've seen many of these stations in the planning phase for at least a year or two.  The recent articles probably put pressure to get it done this time around, however.

Still, while I know it's not as simple as building an elevator at a station and done, why does the MTA continue not to build elevators at ESI stations?  Granted, Astoria Blvd in particular has been in planning for awhile but it's messed up that with all the local stations being part of ESI (which is long overdue), not one of those will be made ADA accessible.  If extra staircases can be built at some of the stations, why not elevators?

Edited by Bosco

Recently the TA has been running the (N)  (and special (W) ) express in one direction on weekends. Last weekend (21-22) Manhattan-bound trains were skipping Broadway and 39th for "station enhancements", but 39th Avenue only had its plywood boards replaced, and maybe on 2-3 workers were there if any. Anybody know if some major or moderate work is going on at Broadway? If there isn't any it seems like a waste considering you could just replace the plywood overnight.

Edited by R68OnBroadway

4 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

I like your mentality. If I saw a R62A (4) I'd jump on that faster than you can blink. And as far as R32s go, I'm really trying to catch one on the (A). I wanna feel the express speed in a 32

10 hours ago, R68OnBroadway said:

Was this planned or did someone decide to increase accessibility within the system due to recent criticism? 

149 St-Grand Concourse (2)(4)(5)

95 Street (R)

1 Avenue (L)

Court Square (G)

Woodhaven Blvd (J)(Z)

The stations removed from the list in the post above were already included as part of the MTA's 100 Key Accessible Stations list from way back when.

10 hours ago, S78 via Hylan said:

SubwayTime is still showing the (J)(Z) running local from Myrtle Av to Marcy Av. Hopefully, this is just a glitch.

I’m on a (Z) as I write this and it ran its regular express aforementioned section above, but the clocks are showing otherwise. They need to fix that.

Edited by S78 via Hylan

16 hours ago, 78 via Stew Leonards said:

I like your mentality. If I saw a R62A (4) I'd jump on that faster than you can blink. And as far as R32s go, I'm really trying to catch one on the (A). I wanna feel the express speed in a 32

20 hours ago, LegoBrickBreaker101 said:

Not all of them, there were at least two sets that went up to Woodlawn today

LOL... I was in Battery Park City yesterday.  When I made my way to the Bowling Green station, there was a R62 (4) train pulling in Southbound.  The last thing I was thinking about was getting on that train. Made my way to the BxM1 and went home. lol

18 hours ago, R68OnBroadway said:

Last weekend (21-22) Manhattan-bound trains were skipping Broadway and 39th for "station enhancements", but 39th Avenue only had its plywood boards replaced, and maybe on 2-3 workers were there if any. Anybody know if some major or moderate work is going on at Broadway? If there isn't any it seems like a waste considering you could just replace the plywood overnight.

It always takes as long as it takes to milk a certain amount of money out of the MTA and riding public.

Just now, EphraimB said:

What do 60-footers and 75-footers have to do with walking in between cars?

The 75 footers have a wide gap between the cars on curves where one can easily fall on the tracks, where's on the 60FT cars its not nearly as bad and is still safe to walk between the cars... Ride the (R) train (Or a 68 (W) train) between City Hall and Courtlandt and look out the storm door between the cars.. 

Just now, trainfan22 said:

The 75 footers have a wide gap between the cars on curves where one can easily fall on the tracks, where's on the 60FT cars its not nearly as bad and is still safe to walk between the cars... Ride the (R) train (Or a 68 (W) train) between City Hall and Courtlandt and look out the storm door between the cars.. 

So I can walk in between cars on an R32?

1 minute ago, trainfan22 said:

Yes, you can walk between car on all 60FT cars and all IRT cars in the current fleet.

Interesting. There was someone that pissed me off on the train back to Far Rockaway today and I had to wait until the next stop, Broad Channel, to switch to the next car. If only the (A) would be all 60-footers then I wouldn't have to wait 3 minutes to switch cars.