SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

15 hours ago, Trainmaster5 said:

The physical layout between Nostrand , President and Franklin Avenue preclude installing a  newer crossover at that location without a rebuild of the whole junction which is why it has never been attempted. I was taught that more than 30 years ago by people who knew the plant and surrounding signals, columns, and the general topography. I have physically walked the north and southbound tracks from Utica Avenue, Nostrand Junction tower, President St tower, and the s/b track 3 from Atlantic Avenue to Utica Avenue pulling cable the length of track from point to point on a work train 5 nights a week when the old tower at the junction was decommissioned and relocated to the present tower at Utica Avenue. Senior motor instructors and a Trainmaster were my teachers back then. I think I'll defer to their knowledge. Carry on.

The MTA study I linked in my post above seems to disagree. It may involve the movement/removal of some columns, but according to them, it is most certainly a feasible change, and is implementable without necessarily having to shut down service (though doing so for at least some weekends would almost certainly quicken the process). 

Edited by RR503

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Abba said:

Just curious does 96th st have the ability to terminate all 4 services (N)(Q)(R)(W) if needed ? I heard it can terminate 30 TPH

Only if the personnel are prepared for it. Imagine if the conductor was not situated at the right place when the train’s supposed to pull out for the next train to come in. But aren’t the 4 services more than 30 T.P.H.?

9 hours ago, Abba said:

Just curious does 96th st have the ability to terminate all 4 services (N)(Q)(R)(W) if needed ? I heard it can terminate 30 TPH

Probably not since in order for that to work, all trains would have to run at 7.5 TPH or less, and the (W) is the sole line that does so while the (R) operates 10 and the (Q) 12.5. Not sure about the (N) though.

Edited by R68OnBroadway

Working on a report about how broken NYC's community engagement processes are. I'm looking for examples of transit projects (doesn't matter how small or large or what agency was managing it) that have been slowed/made significantly more costly/cancelled by community opposition. I've already got 3rd track round 1, SAS, elevators at 68th st. I'm definitely missing a bunch though -- any help would be much appreciated. 

TIA

4 minutes ago, RR503 said:

Working on a report about how broken NYC's community engagement processes are. I'm looking for examples of transit projects (doesn't matter how small or large or what agency was managing it) that have been slowed/made significantly more costly/cancelled by community opposition. I've already got 3rd track round 1, SAS, elevators at 68th st. I'm definitely missing a bunch though -- any help would be much appreciated. 

TIA

Does the failed (N) to LGA count as one?

Edited by R68OnBroadway

14 minutes ago, RR503 said:

TIA

LGA Airtrain. Residents of East Elmhurst don't want it to go over the GCP. Instead they want it over the Bay or the Promenade.

14 minutes ago, RR503 said:

TIA

Three words:

Rockaway Beach Branch. 

9 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

LGA Airtrain. Residents of East Elmhurst don't want it to go over the GCP. Instead they want it over the Bay or the Promenade.

If they couldn't build the (N) to LGA they should have at least built the Airtrain to Astoria Blvd. I'm actually rooting for the NIMBYs here as I want to see this project shot down as nobody is going to take a train towards eastern queens to the eastern end of a local train stopping everywhere before it reaches Manhattan. The Q70 can do for now.

1 hour ago, RR503 said:

TIA

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_35E_(Minnesota)#Controversy_through_the_West_Seventh_neighborhood_of_Saint_Paul

2 hours ago, S78 via Hylan said:

Seriously, they do. Every that’s on the (J) looks as if they’ve gotten worse.

2 hours ago, AlgorithmOfTruth said:

ENY's R143s are looking beat. Those things need to be cleaned up big time.

I said that the other day about the ones on the (C) train.  Just about every train that I've been on of late has smelled horrible.  I was on an (A) train yesterday from West 4th to Chambers and I couldn't wait to get off.  The (MTA) would rather rip out the yellow warning tiles rather than clean them so that's all you need to know about what they think about doing daily cleaning.

I keep reading that East Side access is becoming more expensive so why don't we just stop doing the project temporarily until we finish higher priority projects like SAS? Lexington is getting worse by the minute, LIRR can handle itself until we finish SAS.

12 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

I saw one set going though the wash at Canarsie Yard over the weekend.. now that the weather is warm they will start cleaning the other sets.

That car wash must be better than East New York’s... because the bombed up R160’s still have colorful roofs/window trims...and why does cleanliness on the outside of the cars matter? The Interiors are what need deep cleaning!! Especially since the walls are turning a creme/biege color when they were once white. (In reference to the R143’s) Side note; Jamaica has the dirtiest cars I ever seen, but thier interiors are usually clean. 

Edited by VIP