SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/7/2018 at 3:30 PM, VIP said:

That car wash must be better than East New York’s... because the bombed up R160’s still have colorful roofs/window trims...and why does cleanliness on the outside of the cars matter? The Interiors are what need deep cleaning!! Especially since the walls are turning a creme/biege color when they were once white. (In reference to the R143’s) Side note; Jamaica has the dirtiest cars I ever seen, but thier interiors are usually clean. 

ENY doesn't have a car wash, ENY cars go to Canarsie to get washed, matter of fact I seen a 42 set heading to Canarsie to to get washed today around 11:30.

Graffiti cars are washed off by hand with a brush rather than the car wash. Subway cars are huge when you stand next to them at track level so it's no surprise the average person can't reach up there to give a though cleaning.

7 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Must suck if you missed the Coney Island-bound (Q) at Neck Road. The next one is in 30 minutes.

28114236348_e8b5c252d1.jpg

I was passing that station just over an hour ago. Apparently, the MTA did not bother to explain why a Coney Island-bound (Q) was being held at Kings Highway for so long. I stayed on the (B) hoping to catch the (Q) ahead (which I failed to do). I check the MTA site 10 minutes later, and it said that the (Q) just recovered from delays at 7:15 PM without ever mentioning the problem before the recovery. Whatever the problem was seems to be unrelated to the current incident, but I’ll bet that just like that one, the MTA has no mention of it on the website.

15 minutes ago, CenSin said:

I was passing that station just over an hour ago. Apparently, the MTA did not bother to explain why a Coney Island-bound (Q) was being held at Kings Highway for so long. I stayed on the (B) hoping to catch the (Q) ahead (which I failed to do). I check the MTA site 10 minutes later, and it said that the (Q) just recovered from delays at 7:15 PM without ever mentioning the problem before the recovery. Whatever the problem was seems to be unrelated to the current incident, but I’ll bet that just like that one, the MTA has no mention of it on the website.

It's really an empty update for the status to be like " <insert train line here> Service has resumed after an earlier incident"

I would like to know what the incident was and in which direction(s) it occurred. It's nice that service has resumed, but if there are 30 minute delays/gaps I'd like to know so I can take an alternate route/mode of transportation.

ie " (E)(F)(M)(R) Service has resumed after an earlier incident at Roosevelt Ave" 

1) It doesn't mention which direction.  It could be Southbound Service where trains are conga-lined all the way to Jamaica, It could be northbound service with trains backed up all the way into Soho. It could be both!

7 minutes ago, VIP said:

Hmmm... I thought only the R62A’s and R160’s were getting them....

So all the (1)(3)(6)(E)(F)(M)(N)(Q)(W) is getting the yellow looped stanchions? It would be cool if all the current fleet would have the yellow looped stanchions and the Cuomo ad-wrapped design. Imagine a Cuomo ad-wrapped R32. It would be amazing with the R32 texture.

Edited by EphraimB
Subway bullets in alphabetical order

26 minutes ago, EphraimB said:

So all the (1)(3)(6)(E)(F)(M)(N)(Q)(W) is getting the yellow looped stanchions? It would be cool if all the current fleet would have the yellow looped stanchions and the Cuomo ad-wrapped design. Imagine a Cuomo ad-wrapped R32. It would be amazing with the R32 texture.

7176-7180 is a (4) set, so I guess you can add that line on the list as well...

Edited by paulrivera

According to Google Maps, It would take 12 minutes to take the (A) from 125 St to 59 St - Columbus Circle and walking that would be 1 hour and 6 minutes. Also according to Google Maps, it would take 6 minutes to take the (A) from Howard Beach - JFK to Broad Channel and walking that would be 1 hour and 33 minutes. Why does it take the (A) double the time on the 3.5 mile stretch on Central Park West than the same 3.5 mile stretch from Howard Beach - JFK to Broad Channel?

1 minute ago, EphraimB said:

According to Google Maps, It would take 12 minutes to take the (A) from 125 St to 59 St - Columbus Circle and walking that would be 1 hour and 6 minutes. Also according to Google Maps, it would take 6 minutes to take the (A) from Howard Beach - JFK to Broad Channel and walking that would be 1 hour and 33 minutes. Why does it take the (A) double the time on the 3.5 mile stretch on Central Park West than the same 3.5 mile stretch from Howard Beach - JFK to Broad Channel?

Most likely because CPW is riddled with timers, while putting timers on the flats would be ridiculous as you can see trains in front of you and the line runs straight. (The MTA wouldn't be able to claim the timers were there for "safety" reasons.)

5 minutes ago, R68OnBroadway said:

Most likely because CPW is riddled with timers, while putting timers on the flats would be ridiculous as you can see trains in front of you and the line runs straight. (The MTA wouldn't be able to claim the timers were there for "safety" reasons.)

Why are there so many timers on Central Park West?

41 minutes ago, EphraimB said:

Thats incorrect. 12 minutes is how long it would take if running local. Express takes about 8-9 minutes.

19 hours ago, Daniel The Cool said:

Thats incorrect. 12 minutes is how long it would take if running local. Express takes about 8-9 minutes.

Looks like Google Maps thought the (D) was running local. I'm beginning to believe that express service is nothing more than a Placebo effect.

Are there any configurations of routes in the system that would theoretically produce a longer runtime than say the (2) from Flatbush Avenue–Brooklyn College to Wakefield–241st Street (entirely local) or the (A) from Far Rockaway–Mott Avenue to Inwood–207th Street (entirely local)? How about if the (2) started at New Lots Avenue instead? Or, having the (A) go up the Grand Concourse to Norwood–205th Street instead of ending at Inwood–207th Street? There have to be a few other contenders that I don't remember off the top of my head.

Edited by AlgorithmOfTruth