12 hours ago, Far rockaway said:

do r160s still run on the J train

Yes. Not that many but they do appear. 

9 hours ago, paulrivera said:

QUE?!?!

unknown.png

......ok

6 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I don’t think they are technically assigned to the (J) but they run on that line everyday. I wonder why R143s run on the (J) in the first place? I feel like mileage had something to do with it. 

R143'so are not assigned to the (J) but are rather used as supplements. I also wonder why they're on the (J)

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, LGA Link N train said:

Yes. Not that many but they do appear. 

......ok

R143'so are not assigned to the (J) but are rather used as supplements. I also wonder why they're on the (J)

It could have to do with the (L) train's fleet/yard (speaking of which)... 

Is there gonna be a (L)/(J)(Z) strip map soon since this train car is swapping between these lines so much?  

Edited by TheNewYorkElevated

16 minutes ago, TheNewYorkElevated said:

It could have to do with the (L) train's fleet/yard (speaking of which)... 

Is there gonna be a (L)/(J)(Z) strip map soon since this train car is swapping between these lines so much?  

While the (L) and(J) share the same yard (East New York) thereis no way that the (MTA) would put strip maps for the (J) and (Z) considering the fact that R179's are going to be on the (J)(Z).

What I'd do is assign

All 16 8 CAR R179's to the (J) and (Z) with 9 or 10 additional R160's. 

Keep all R143's on the (L) with 8 or 10 additional 8 car R160's. 

All remaining 8 car R160's go to the (M)

Edited by LGA Link N train

Why only 16 sets of 179’s though ? That’s only 128 4-car pairs out of the order... where would the rest of the R179’s go?! I thought the plan was ALL 4-car R179’s were to be exclusive to East New York for (J)/(Z) service...

49 minutes ago, VIP said:

Why only 16 sets of 179’s though ? That’s only 128 4-car pairs out of the order... where would the rest of the R179’s go?! I thought the plan was ALL 4-car R179’s were to be exclusive to East New York for (J)/(Z) service...

...... and that's EXACTLY what I'm saying. and there's only going to be 16 Sets of 8 car R179's!

The rest of the R179's are ALL 10 car sets. 

Apologies if my choice of words confuses you.

8 hours ago, Lance said:

It used to be timed to play well before entering 59 Street. One of the fairly recent updates back in 2016 knocked it back to playing just as the train enters the station.

Most people are not going to notice or care about such trivialities.

People are more perceptive than you think. Just because something seems trivial to you doesn't mean it doesn't warrant a universal explanation.

That moment when internal jargon makes it onto the public website:

TRACK REPLACEMENT | May 19 - 20, Sat and Sun, 5:45 AM to 6 PM
Woodlawn-bound (4) trains run express from Burnside Av to Woodlawn in the Bronx -
 GO #1427 has been suspended for one day due to inclement weather.

On 5/18/2018 at 6:49 AM, Lawrence St said:

They really need to either shorten the 59th Arrival  announcement on Lex or have it play earlier. To me, I feel like the (F) transfer is redunant, and they haven't even bothered to change the (Q) announcement on there anyway.

Exactly! There have been one of four things that would happen at 59 Street. Either:

• Lexington train drivers on the 4 and 5 would intentionally slow down their train in both directions
  • The conductor would wait for a bit for the announcement to finish playing before opening the doors
  • The conductor would open the doors while the announcement is playing but then close them
  • The conductor would wait for the next Bronx or Brooklyn bound announcement to play after they've opened the doors waiting for the 59th transfer announcement to finish.

In either case, something needs to be done about that super long announcement, particularly on the weekday announcement where most of these issues are.

Simple, record a new announcement:

"This is: 59th St. Transfer is available to the (6)(N)(R) and (W) trains. Transfer, to the (F) and (Q) trains, by walking to Lex Av-63rd St station, and using your metrocard."

In my opinion, this is more understandable then the current one they have as well.

14 hours ago, paulrivera said:

That moment when internal jargon makes it onto the public website:

TRACK REPLACEMENT | May 19 - 20, Sat and Sun, 5:45 AM to 6 PM
Woodlawn-bound (4) trains run express from Burnside Av to Woodlawn in the Bronx -
 GO #1427 has been suspended for one day due to inclement weather.

So that's why the feeds kept showing the (4) running express, no wonder.

2 hours ago, Calvin said:

Does anyone notice that the entire platform at Grand Central on the (7) during the 4-5PM hours is full now that the line is all CBTC R188s?

What does that mean? The R188 trains have low capacity, thus leaving more people on the platforms?

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 5:30 PM, AlgorithmOfTruth said:

People are more perceptive than you think. Just because something seems trivial to you doesn't mean it doesn't warrant a universal explanation.

I'm going to respectfully disagree with you there. I highly doubt the average rider is paying that much attention to the map that they'll notice the Livonia Ave line is above the Canarsie when it should be vice-versa.

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 11:15 PM, 4 via Mosholu said:

Exactly! There have been one of four things that would happen at 59 Street. Either:

• Lexington train drivers on the 4 and 5 would intentionally slow down their train in both directions
  • The conductor would wait for a bit for the announcement to finish playing before opening the doors
  • The conductor would open the doors while the announcement is playing but then close them
  • The conductor would wait for the next Bronx or Brooklyn bound announcement to play after they've opened the doors waiting for the 59th transfer announcement to finish.

In either case, something needs to be done about that super long announcement, particularly on the weekday announcement where most of these issues are.

Isn't it that "watch the gap" announcement that makes the whole sequence extra long? Remove that, push the playback cue about fifty feet back and it should resolve the issue where the arrival announcements are still playing after the doors open. It's not impossible because they fixed this before. This was an issue back in 2010 when the (F) transfer got separated for the out-of-system transfer at Lexington Av-63 St and it was resolved about a year or so later by doing exactly this.

On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 5:59 AM, Lawrence St said:

Simple, record a new announcement:

"This is: 59th St. Transfer is available to the (6)(N)(R) and (W) trains. Transfer, to the (F) and (Q) trains, by walking to Lex Av-63rd St station, and using your metrocard."

In my opinion, this is more understandable then the current one they have as well.

That's how it plays on every other line with slight variations for services.

7 hours ago, paulrivera said:

I like how Google Maps and Apple Maps account for GO’s in their transit directions now.

Theres still a few kinks to work out (like last minute cancellations and how “no service” is used instead of “route change”) but overall it does come in handy.

When the competition (Transit, CityMapper) is already providing this information, they have to step up their game. Otherwise they'll be left in the dust. Directions that do not account for changes in service are almost entirely useless.

53 minutes ago, Missabassie said:

Thats cuz the damn (E) train is the media darling....

First QBL line to get R160s.... First line to get R160s with refreshed interiors.... First line to allow its train crews to carry phones around for work related purposes, despite the fact that the (F) has the longer route and carries more people..

Sounds accurate to me.