SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

10 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

I'm checking now. 20 min Gap between the (A) and (C)

(C) 168th Street just left Canal

(A) Columbus Circle  20 mins

Followed by an (A) one min later, and then another (A) 10 mins later. 

So the last train doesn't even go to 207th

The (2) runs local after 9:45PM this week, so that's why they're not adding (1) service.

That's even worse. The (2) train is ALWAYS packed. It can't handle more riders. Perhaps a better idea is running the (3) local for overflow, but then the (2) would still be a mess. The (1) needs the extra service especially when the (A) is out and the other day, remember, Metro-North was also out so you had those people also packing on the (1).

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

That's even worse. The (2) train is ALWAYS packed. It can't handle more riders. Perhaps a better idea is running the (3) local for overflow, but then the (2) would still be a mess. The (1) needs the extra service especially when the (A) is out and the other day, remember, Metro-North was also out so you had those people also packing on the (1).

The (1) and (2) should definitely get more service when the (A) is out. It makes no sense for MTA to run those lines as if everything is running fine. The people always end up the losers when service is disrupted with us having to waste more time and money just because the MTA can’t get their acts together. 

That’s the (MTA)‘s problem though, they just don’t plan logically and they always want to take the cheap way out. This reminds me of the times on the Queens Blvd line where all northbound (Jamaica/ Forest Hills) service is rerouted to either the express or local track. They always suspend the (M) but what the (MTA) fails to do all the time is extend the (R) to 179th Street (a proper terminal) so that way the whole line is not backed up. What ends up unfortunately happening is that the (E)(F) and (R) have a tendency to have trains bunched up and all you need is for two (R) trains to be bunched and its over especially with trains having to move slower because of track work. Two weeks ago it took 40 minutes for the (R) to get to Roosevelt Ave from Lexington Ave via the express track and then at Roosevelt we must of waited for about 10 minutes before I gave up and went upstairs at took the (7) . The (R) was still going to Forest Hills and these trains get swept and checked for passengers so that takes time. The MTA doesn’t care about its riders and the riders are growing more fed up. 

3 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

The (1) and (2) should definitely get more service when the (A) is out. It makes no sense for MTA to run those lines as if everything is running fine. The people always end up the losers when service is disrupted with us having to waste more time and money just because the MTA can’t get their acts together. 

That’s the (MTA)‘s problem though, they just don’t plan logically and they always want to take the cheap way out. This reminds me of the times on the Queens Blvd line where all northbound (Jamaica/ Forest Hills) service is rerouted to either the express or local track. They always suspend the (M) but what the (MTA) fails to do all the time is extend the (R) to 179th Street (a proper terminal) so that way the whole line is not backed up. What ends up unfortunately happening is that the (E)(F) and (R) have a tendency to have trains bunched up and all you need is for two (R) trains to be bunched and its over especially with trains having to move slower because of track work. Two weeks ago it took 40 minutes for the (R) to get to Roosevelt Ave from Lexington Ave via the express track and then at Roosevelt we must of waited for about 10 minutes before I gave up and went upstairs at took the (7) . The (R) was still going to Forest Hills and these trains get swept and checked for passengers so that takes time. The MTA doesn’t care about its riders and the riders are growing more fed up. 

The way I see it, the amount of money that they're asking for should ALSO account for adding service to lines when there needs to be track work done.  You're absolutely right... They basically refuse to run more service when they do track work as if people disappear.  I really feel for the people that only have the subway as an option because if they can't afford an Uber then they're stuck making a bunch of transfers.

2 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I've complained about this so many times. I've even emailed them and they said it "costs more money" but if all your crews are delayed all day and probably getting overtime then what the hell does it matter? This is why I started taking the LIRR in the evenings last year, and now its my default in both directions, I couldn't deal with it anymore.

10 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

I've complained about this so many times. I've even emailed them and they said it "costs more money" but if all your crews are delayed all day and probably getting overtime then what the hell does it matter? This is why I started taking the LIRR in the evenings last year, and now its my default in both directions, I couldn't deal with it anymore.

This week the (R) was extended past 10pm to 179th Street. I didn’t know they were doing that until I checked subway time today on my way home and saw (R) to Jamaica 179. The (E) went local as well and the train went into 71st Ave with no slowdown at all. 

This is a perfect example of how service should run if you take advantage of your resources. Extending the (R) to 179th Street should be a no brainer if all Jamaica/Forest Hills bound trains have to all run on the same track. 

Missed the 8:04 AM (N) and the next train has been sitting at the station for 15 minutes already. The train should have left at 8:11 AM.

The conductor is cursing in her cab… train pulled out at 8:21.

Although the conductor was inside the train for over 10 minutes, the FIND display seems to not be set.

Edited by CenSin

7 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

This week the (R) was extended past 10pm to 179th Street. I didn’t know they were doing that until I checked subway time today on my way home and saw (R) to Jamaica 179. The (E) went local as well and the train went into 71st Ave with no slowdown at all. 

This is a perfect example of how service should run if you take advantage of your resources. Extending the (R) to 179th Street should be a no brainer if all Jamaica/Forest Hills bound trains have to all run on the same track. 

Exactly. They've done that before, but it was only when they were working on the yard lead tracks which the local trains use to reverse. Hopefully, they're doing it now for service improvement.

Even in the opposite direction, I remember a few times when all trains were running local, they'd have Manhattan bound (R) trains block the path of the (E)(F) while waiting to leave 71st Ave. 

Has anyone been put off by the multiple inaccuracies on the official New York City Subway Map? The choice to put topographical accuracy aside is understood for simplicity reasons, but did they really have to make careless errors like depicting that the (L) travels OVER the (3) in Brooklyn? That, or incorrectly showing that the (R) 9th Street Station is located ABOVE the (F)(G) 4th Avenue Station?

Edited by AlgorithmOfTruth

5 hours ago, AlgorithmOfTruth said:

Has anyone been put off by the multiple inaccuracies on the official New York City Subway Map? The choice to put topographical accuracy aside is understood for simplicity reasons, but did they really have to make careless errors like depicting that the (L) travels OVER the (3) in Brooklyn? That, or incorrectly showing that the (R) 9th Street Station is located ABOVE the (F)(G) 4th Avenue Station?

It’s pretty obvious why the map does this: each color is a layer in the graphics editor. If a color is over another color at any intersection, it will be so at all intersections.

12 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

Exactly. They've done that before, but it was only when they were working on the yard lead tracks which the local trains use to reverse. Hopefully, they're doing it now for service improvement.

Even in the opposite direction, I remember a few times when all trains were running local, they'd have Manhattan bound (R) trains block the path of the (E)(F) while waiting to leave 71st Ave. 

I've seen them have (R) trains wait to start their runs to Brooklyn on the express track, then switch to the local, while (e) and (F) would run through on the local track. This was when work was being done further down the line and not at 71 Ave

7 minutes ago, N6 Limited said:

Has a (G) on QB been sent via 6th (or 8th) Ave before due to unplanned service changes?

IDK if it actually happened, but it may have happened the day of the Bergen Street fiasco about 2 months ago. I think a train was routed into Manhattan, although I'm not sure. The reason I suspect this is because while on the (F) at 42nd Street , I saw a 4-car R68 Set passing through the downtown express tracks, with (G) signs and everything. It was DH'ing, but I wondered why it was there in the first place.

7 minutes ago, VIP said:

The R143’s minus well have dual maps like the R142’s because there’s so many R143’s on the (J) 

I don’t think they are technically assigned to the (J) but they run on that line everyday. I wonder why R143s run on the (J) in the first place? I feel like mileage had something to do with it. 

1 hour ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I don’t think they are technically assigned to the (J) but they run on that line everyday. I wonder why R143s run on the (J) in the first place? I feel like mileage had something to do with it. 

Somewhat true, but also to keep as little SMEEs in service as possible. Those things were abused on the J/Z before the loans, and it's not good for their age, especially the r42s.

On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 6:49 AM, Lawrence St said:

They really need to either shorten the 59th Arrival  announcement on Lex or have it play earlier. To me, I feel like the (F) transfer is redunant, and they haven't even bothered to change the (Q) announcement on there anyway.

It used to be timed to play well before entering 59 Street. One of the fairly recent updates back in 2016 knocked it back to playing just as the train enters the station.

19 hours ago, AlgorithmOfTruth said:

Most people are not going to notice or care about such trivialities.