SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Nah. Cuomo would get a heart attack because it's not on modern day NTTs 

The Cuomo scene is on one car of an R62 set on the 42 St shuttle. Why not on the R32s and R46s also? The (MTA) should also add an additional 2 LCDs below the R46 LCD so people don't have to wait the annoying few seconds to see if the (A) train is going to Far Rockaway or Lefferts Blvd.

45 minutes ago, EphraimB said:

The Cuomo scene is on one car of an R62 set on the 42 St shuttle. Why not on the R32s and R46s also?

• Few people would care to care honestly
  • It's not worth the cost especially considering the trains are old and the MTA probably doesn't want to pay more for them besides maintenance anyways
  • It doesn't benefit anybody really
  • It's not the biggest issue or need of the system or trains themselves

The (MTA) should also add an additional 2 LCDs below the R46 LCD so people don't have to wait the annoying few seconds to see if the (A) train is going to Far Rockaway or Lefferts Blvd.

I've been in that situation once, but honestly, good luck, with that. I'd be nearly impossible to upgrade all LCD's Flip dot displays with a screen underneath it as theirs no space for that at all. And even if you upgrade the signs with newer LCD's, or even an actual "roll-sign" to save money, I doubt the MTA would want to change them since the Flip dot displays work well enough. Costs would still be high considering the age of the trains and a few seconds of inconvenience for riders doesn't warrant such a huge change for trains well past their retirement.

Responses in Red

Edited by NoHacksJustKhaks

I just saw that Darius documentary, it was pretty good. The biggest thing I took from it as he was once married, they broke up because the woman he was married to made him choose between her and trains, he choose trains. He kept staying out late at night railfanning and his wife thought he was cheating, where's in reality he was just out riding trains.  I'm shocked he once had a wife, I wonder if he was an Millennial/few decades younger would he be an incel.

1 hour ago, EphraimB said:

The Cuomo scene is on one car of an R62 set on the 42 St shuttle. Why not on the R32s and R46s also? The (MTA) should also add an additional 2 LCDs below the R46 LCD so people don't have to wait the annoying few seconds to see if the (A) train is going to Far Rockaway or Lefferts Blvd.

5QMUDPH72RTNM6ZNMCZ6RKOZQY.jpg

...You were saying?

(No, this train won't be in service anytime soon.)

Edited by paulrivera

12 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

I just saw that Darius documentary, it was pretty good. The biggest thing I took from it as he was once married, they broke up because the woman he was married to made him choose between her and trains, he choose trains. He kept staying out late at night railfanning and his wife thought he was cheating, where's in reality he was just out riding trains.  I'm shocked he once had a wife, I wonder if he was an Millennial/few decades younger would he be an incel.

How did he even get married?

1 hour ago, EphraimB said:

The R46 display is flip-dot or LCD? The displays do not work well enough. The displays are a lot of times either garbled or blank. I'm very curious how the Cuomo scene would look like in the R32s with the stainless steel texture.

R46 side signs are LCDs.

R32 front signs are flipdots.

7 hours ago, EphraimB said:

I can't wait for the (MTA) to bring the Cuomo scene to the R46s and R32s on the (A). It will look the most unique on the R32s with that stainless steel texture.

Sadly, that will not happen. The Cuomo Scheme is to Identify the train sets that have modified seating arrangements only.

4 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Ain't that part of the set that derailed at 125th?

Bingo

3 hours ago, biGC323232 said:

Wow...Thats really an R46...Are they doing some of the sets on the (A) like that????

Not necessarily; this is just a mockup on an orphaned car. One of its mates got scrapped and it's other two mates got hooked up with two other orphans.

Quick question,

Why doesn't the (F) run via Montague during late nights so people have the chance to transfer to the (D) at Cortlandt Street and at Jay St-Metrotech? And maybe they should change the G.O to this for the whole duration:

(F) via Broadway Express/Bridge during days, via Broadway Local/Montague during late nights.

(N) via Broadway Local/Montague during days, via Broadway Local/Bridge during nights.

Or a more logical one:

(F) via Broadway Local/Montague all times. This allows transfer's between the (D) and (F) at Cortlandt St and Jay St-Metrotech. This also increases headways on Broadway Local.

(N) via Broadway Express/Bridge all times. This allows room for the (F) on the local track, and gives Broadway another express option other then the (Q).

What do you think?

Funny you should mention that as I had the exact same thought the other day. Running the (F) via Whitehall St or even local on 4th Avenue offers a more direct connection between Manhattan and the Culver line as opposed to the current setup. Right now, every time the (D) and (F) get booted off 6th Avenue, riders in Manhattan looking for Culver service and vice-versa have to use the (N) or (R) as a bridge of sorts, either changing at Jay St-MetroTech via the (N) or 9 Street via the (R) line, neither of which are good solutions to an annoying service change.

My only guess as to why it's done in its current manner is to give the (F) a straight-shot route down Broadway to the Bridge without switching tracks at any point during the trip.

24 minutes ago, Lance said:

Funny you should mention that as I had the exact same thought the other day. Running the (F) via Whitehall St or even local on 4th Avenue offers a more direct connection between Manhattan and the Culver line as opposed to the current setup. Right now, every time the (D) and (F) get booted off 6th Avenue, riders in Manhattan looking for Culver service and vice-versa have to use the (N) or (R) as a bridge of sorts, either changing at Jay St-MetroTech via the (N) or 9 Street via the (R) line, neither of which are good solutions to an annoying service change.

My only guess as to why it's done in its current manner is to give the (F) a straight-shot route down Broadway to the Bridge without switching tracks at any point during the trip.

That's dumb. They shouldn't be focusing on "the easy route" they need to be focusing on getting more transfers in between the (D) and (F) during this change.

14 hours ago, CenSin said:

How did he even get married?

He was pretending to be a C/R at some station and asked this woman sitting on the bench if she was cold, they started talking and the rest is history.. What's interesting is she didn't speak English and Darius didn't know how to speak Spanish, but they was somehow able to communicate with one another and have an relationship lol.

56 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

Wouldn't the (N) and (F) have to cross paths at 34th? I can see why they wouldn't want to do that...

Running local on 4th Avenue would also be an option. That way, there is still a direct connection between the West End and Culver services during this service change.

Don't they usually run the (N) all local via Whitehall with the (R) though? At least that what they did last weekend. That provides more frequent service than the (R) alone, so the transfer at 9th, Cortlandt, or Jay Street isn't so bad when that's the case. Otherwise, then I can understand that. The only station that is negatively affected by this is Lexington Avenue-63 Street, because they would need to make two transfers.

Nah, the (N) usually switches back to the express tracks before Atlantic Av.

Shifting gears, I don't know if anyone's been to the 57 Street (F) station recently, but they've practically gutted the place for those upcoming station renovations. I was there just a little while ago to refill my MetroCard and I noticed all of the ceiling tiles have been removed and the stainless steel pillars all have marks on them, presumably to indicate removal or something similar. Naturally, because all of the ceiling tiles are now gone, half of the station is in the dark. I'm going to miss that old '60s design a little bit.

Edited by Lance

2 hours ago, 4 via Mosholu said:

What has been going on with 7771 to 7775? I haven't seen it in service on the (4) train for a while.

Probably cause of the (4) receiving R142s from the (6)...lve been seeing a lot of those on the (4) lately....or maybe it's just sitting around the yard