Jump to content

Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
EE Broadway Local

SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Coney Island Av said:

I'm definitely going. I'll be there on the 16th (albeit only a few hours), however on the 17th, I'll be there all day. 

We could even possibly run in to each other there lol. 

BTW, I went to every single one of them since 2015, when the first BMT Parade of Trains was held. 

P.S. I'll also be going on all nostalgia rides this summer! These include the BMT Standards/D-Types to Coney Island, and the R1-9s to Rockaways. 

 

Are the slants running this year on the 16th and 17th? Heard the 38s were running but I haven't ridden the slants since 2009.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Coney Island Av said:

I'm definitely going. I'll be there on the 16th (albeit only a few hours), however on the 17th, I'll be there all day. 

We could even possibly run in to each other there lol. 

BTW, I went to every single one of them since 2015, when the first BMT Parade of Trains was held. 

P.S. I'll also be going on all nostalgia rides this summer! These include the BMT Standards/D-Types to Coney Island, and the R1-9s to Rockaways. 

 

This is going to be my first year on the Parade of Trains

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Funny story that happened yesterday:

I got word that some R62As were being transferred to Westchester. How did I know about this, you may ask? Well, I contacted the most infamous subway youtuber of all time- @Dj HammersI didn't want to miss that opportune moment, so I quickly grabbed a MetroCard and ran towards 145 St. However, when I tried to use it, it backfired on me with an insufficient fare. I couldn't go back inside my house either because I forgot to bring keys. So, I called my dad, and he eventually called me an Uber so I could meet him at Times Square. However, by the time I got to Times Square, I got word that the R62As were already heading south on the (N). I wanted to catch the move on the (7), but the MetroCard pretty much screwed me over. I met up with my dad and we headed to West 4 St. 

Once we got to West 4 St, me and my dad waited on the lower level for the R62A (7) transfer to show up. While we were waiting, I saw a rat crawling on the platform. Some people ran away, while others took pictures of the rat. I saw a (D) and (F) show up, however, transit employees were redirecting everyone to the upper level because the (D) was running via 8 Av/Culver and (F) via Broadway/West End at that time. I then decided "You know what...let's go home. I'm honestly tired."

But right after, I heard a not-in-service honk. I quickly ran up to the upper level and to my surprise...

41604111355_b58528d10c.jpg

YES! I finally saw the R62A transfer, and was like "OMG! No flipping way!" I took photos of it, of course, and even filmed it. 

Moral of the story: Always bring keys whenever you leave the house. ^_^

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Coney Island Av said:

Funny story that happened yesterday:

I got word that some R62As were being transferred to Westchester. How did I know about this, you may ask? Well, I contacted the most infamous subway youtuber of all time- @Dj HammersI didn't want to miss that opportune moment, so I quickly grabbed a MetroCard and ran towards 145 St. However, when I tried to use it, it backfired on me with an insufficient fare. I couldn't go back inside my house either because I forgot to bring keys. So, I called my dad, and he eventually called me an Uber so I could meet him at Times Square. However, by the time I got to Times Square, I got word that the R62As were already heading south on the (N). I wanted to catch the move on the (7), but the MetroCard pretty much screwed me over. I met up with my dad and we headed to West 4 St. 

Once we got to West 4 St, me and my dad waited on the lower level for the R62A (7) transfer to show up. While we were waiting, I saw a rat crawling on the platform. Some people ran away, while others took pictures of the rat. I saw a (D) and (F) show up, however, transit employees were redirecting everyone to the upper level because the (D) was running via 8 Av/Culver and (F) via Broadway/West End at that time. I then decided "You know what...let's go home. I'm honestly tired."

But right after, I heard a not-in-service honk. I quickly ran up to the upper level and to my surprise...

41604111355_b58528d10c.jpg

YES! I finally saw the R62A transfer, and was like "OMG! No flipping way!" I took photos of it, of course, and even filmed it. 

Moral of the story: Always bring keys whenever you leave the house. ^_^

I have a coworker who has everything. Anything I could possibly need, she has—except my keys.

  • LMAO! 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These lines are on a supplement this weekend (aka headway cuts due to GO's):
(6)(A)(C)(D)(E)(F)(N)(R)

Which means the only midtown trunk line with normal headways (not necessarily normal service) is the 7th Avenue line (1/2/3).

I've taken a liking to the (1) and (2) trains recently. They seem to be the only two lines that don't have people crammed in like sardines. I'd count the (3) also, but that line is pretty much a feeder route during the weekends to the aforementioned 1/2 tandem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, paulrivera said:

These lines are on a supplement this weekend (aka headway cuts due to GO's):
(6)(A)(C)(D)(E)(F)(N)(R)

Which means the only midtown trunk line with normal headways (not necessarily normal service) is the 7th Avenue line (1/2/3).

I've taken a liking to the (1) and (2) trains recently. They seem to be the only two lines that don't have people crammed in like sardines. I'd count the (3) also, but that line is pretty much a feeder route during the weekends to the aforementioned 1/2 tandem.

It looks like the (A)(C) on CPW are getting better. I always hope for a (C) getting home because the (B) is annoyingly crowded and seems less frequent than from like a month ago, while the (C) is more frequent. So I guess that's cool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, KK 6 Ave Local said:

It looks like the (A)(C) on CPW are getting better. I always hope for a (C) getting home because the (B) is annoyingly crowded and seems less frequent than from like a month ago, while the (C) is more frequent. So I guess that's cool.

The (C) more frequent than the (B) ? Now that's funny. I find both of them horrible, but the (C) is really bad. The (B) sucks because it rarely shows up as it is scheduled and has trains pulled for any little thing, but the (C) has frequencies that are generally horrendous. On weekends you can wait easily for 15 minutes for one train. They're scheduled about every 12 minutes most of the time, and hard to get even during the week.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/1/2018 at 5:38 PM, LGA Link N train said:

This is going to be my first year on the Parade of Trains

You should enjoy it! i've been there for 3 years and it's great!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why is the (R) train soooo slow? It seems like crawls it's entire route except for the 60th st and Montague St tunnels.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

On weekends you can wait easily for 15 minutes for one train. They're scheduled about every 12 minutes most of the time, and hard to get even during the week.

And if you call the (MTA) out on that 15 minute wait, they'll just pull out the timetable and say "the train was only 3 minutes behind schedule- but since we have a 5 minute window, the train was actually on time."

Meanwhile the train is twice as crowded as it should be because service was cut from a 10 minute to a 12 minute headway for *insert weekend GO here* 😒.

Edited by paulrivera
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, paulrivera said:

And if you call the (MTA) out on that 15 minute wait, they'll just pull out the timetable and say "the train was only 3 minutes behind schedule- but since we have a 5 minute window, the train was actually on time."

Meanwhile the train is twice as crowded as it should be because service was cut from a 10 minute to a 12 minute headway for *insert weekend GO here* 😒.

Yeah the (C) has been horrible on weekends and I no longer take assignments if I have to use it going Uptown. Far too much aggravation. The (A) is supposed to make local (C) stops at 155th, and only select ones do and they don't say which ones, so you expect to get off and the train goes express. I've lost at least $120.00 over that train between me having to cancel meetings and giving clients freebies, so I said the hell with it and just don't bother anymore, not to mention my commuting time and monies spent on transportation.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, paulrivera said:

These lines are on a supplement this weekend (aka headway cuts due to GO's):
(6)(A)(C)(D)(E)(F)(N)(R)

Which means the only midtown trunk line with normal headways (not necessarily normal service) is the 7th Avenue line (1/2/3).

I've taken a liking to the (1) and (2) trains recently. They seem to be the only two lines that don't have people crammed in like sardines. I'd count the (3) also, but that line is pretty much a feeder route during the weekends to the aforementioned 1/2 tandem.

8th Ave has the (A)(C)(D)(E) so it has somewhat "normal" headway.

Although today I had just missed a downtown (A) at Penn Station and a million (C) and (E) trains came before an (A) showed up. When I checked SubwayTime a (D) was supposed to arrive in 4 mins, that's why I went to the express platform. 😠

4 hours ago, bwwnyc123 said:

Because (R) is a very long local train 3 boroughs Queens, Manhattan, and Brooklyn.

It's not even the fact that it's local, it's that the train (at least the times I've ridden it) runs at 10-15mph for most of it's trip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, N6 Limited said:

8th Ave has the (A)(C)(D)(E) so it has somewhat "normal" headway.

Although today I had just missed a downtown (A) at Penn Station and a million (C) and (E) trains came before an (A) showed up. When I checked SubwayTime a (D) was supposed to arrive in 4 mins, that's why I went to the express platform. 😠

I happen to like having the (D) on 8th Avenue because it becomes a one seat ride for me to Port Authority and Penn Station.

The long waits for a specific train that ends up becoming a packed train get on my nerves tho. I mean, having only a 6 minute wait for any express on 8th Avenue isn't bad, but a 12 minute wait for a specific (A) or (D) that may or may not be packed is annoying at best.

God help you if you need the (A) past Rockaway Blvd. 25 minute waits if everything's running correctly? I'd rather spend the extra $5 for the express bus. If I'm gonna wait half an hour for something it better have a seat waiting for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, paulrivera said:

I happen to like having the (D) on 8th Avenue because it becomes a one seat ride for me to Port Authority and Penn Station.

The long waits for a specific train that ends up becoming a packed train get on my nerves tho. I mean, having only a 6 minute wait for any express on 8th Avenue isn't bad, but a 12 minute wait for a specific (A) or (D) that may or may not be packed is annoying at best.

God help you if you need the (A) past Rockaway Blvd. 25 minute waits if everything's running correctly? I'd rather spend the extra $5 for the express bus. If I'm gonna wait half an hour for something it better have a seat waiting for me.

 

Wouldn't it be more reliable for (A) service if all trains went to Lefferts and they simply had a shuttle put in from the yard that runs behind it to take riders to JFK and the Rockaways and vice versa?  (Maybe that's why they want CBTC on the Fulton St line)

Wouldn't it also require less train sets to do so? Also, the bridge getting stuck wouldn't affect overall (A) service. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, EphraimB said:

I use Bing.

That’s a ding against that search engine.

Quote

Why couldn’t you find it?

Quote

I use Bing.

“Use Google. Get results!”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The "12-minute" supplement headways drive me nuts... Plain and simple. If you can't run trains every 10 minutes, they should just bustitute the work area IMHO. 

(Ironically the (F) shuttle bus was less of a PITA than the actual (F) train...)

4th Avenue was an absolute shit show yesterday with the (F)(N)(R), each line having its moments where it would disappear for a half an hour... If I was headed from an area in Manhattan near the X27, Id just use that to get home...

Meanwhile, in London they're running 15-20 TPH on a Saturday and they do a better job of letting you know what planned work is going on...

I mean its low hanging fruit to get proper information out there. If you only ever use the (F) via Broadway program when the (D) is via Culver, why did you program it to announce the (D) as a transfer at Atlantic and 36th?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7646-7648 (and maybe 7649-7650, but I didn't see) have some wonky old strip maps. They look to be pre-2001 maps with the orange Q and diamond services, but somebody in Car Equipment tried to personally fix them with a little sharpie. A bunch of routes (brown M, etc.) have been blacked out, and the diamonds have been "rounded" into circles where possible. A couple of the new stickers have been added, but on the whole the maps have some pretty out of date routings and services.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why do the (2) and (5) trains sometimes switch their Bronx terminals on the weekend? Both Wakefield and Dyre Ave are in service so can’t they just go to their respective terminals?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, paulrivera said:

If I'm gonna wait half an hour for something it better have a seat waiting for me.

There won't be. ¯\_( ͡ᵔ ͜ʖ ͡ᵔ )_/¯

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/27/2018 at 7:57 PM, bwwnyc123 said:

During rush hours (J)(Z) both skip each other's stops between Myrtle Av-Bway until Sutphin Blvd and Jamaica Center Stations They both stop at Marcy Av, Myrtle  Av-Bway, Broadway Junction, Alabama Av, Crescent Av and Woodhaven Blvd. Plus AM/PM peak directional express on center between Marcy and Myrtle Av-Bway.

I could understand why ephraimB is confused. Its not clearly graphically explained well that the Z train runs local in queens and brooklyn during rush hours and the J runs express during that time. Its also not graphically explained well that both J and Z trains skip Hewes St, Lorimer St, and Flushing avenue so they would need the M. I think what the MTA needs to do is make the Z express all the way through during rush hours and have the J run local. Instead of people getting on and probably becoming confused by the fact their J train won't stop at a "local stop". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.