SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

It would be a great idea if they compiled all the information of planned work on one wkend. Which they already kinda do, but make it specific to a certain train line by printing it out and handing it out to the conductors in the train yards. On the paper, it could say when approaching such and such stop, make this announcement so pax aren’t waiting on the platform for a nonexistent train. I find that sometimes conductors don’t even know what’s going on. I know some conductors already do this but it’s honestly hard to remember what’s happening to all the train lines at the same time.

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/7/2018 at 9:07 AM, EphraimB said:

I'm talking about the official ones.

Before you constantly nag us with your repetitive questions, click on the link below. These questions just prove you're too impatient to do some searching for yourself. 

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=r160+a+train+announcements

Paris really just made me laugh.

Here were are in NYC wondering how we are going to get PSDs in our stations without automated trains while Mouton-Duvernet on the non-automated Line 4 is getting a set of doors per day that WORK.

Blows my mind. 

2 hours ago, LTA1992 said:

Paris really just made me laugh.

Here were are in NYC wondering how we are going to get PSDs in our stations without automated trains while Mouton-Duvernet on the non-automated Line 4 is getting a set of doors per day that WORK.

Blows my mind. 

Oh please. Stop comparing Paris to NYC. Two very different places. I'm not going to get into the whole NYC has a large subway system nonsense because that's a poor excuse. The main difference is how the Europeans view and FUND transit. Transportation is heavily subsidized there to encourage usage and discourage car usage. This attitude is less prevalent here. Paris like most major European cities is smaller, not to mention the build quality there. Here we spend $1 billion dollars per station and use cheap materials. There they build to last and they can shut down stations and get them done rather than the piecemeal nonsense that we do here. Here we have an agency that looks to cut cut cut when it comes to service further alienating transit riders.

The French view transportation as a right, which is why so many of them skip the fare, but even so they pay a lot in taxes so in a way while I don't fully agree, I understand their position.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

4 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Oh please. Stop comparing Paris to NYC. Two very different places. I'm not going to get into the whole NYC has a large subway system nonsense because that's a poor excuse. The main difference is how the Europeans view and FUND transit. Transportation is heavily subsidized there to encourage usage and discourage car usage. This attitude is less prevalent here. Paris like most major European cities is smaller, not to mention the build quality there. Here we spend $1 billion dollars per station and use cheap materials. There they build to last and they can shut down stations and get them done rather than the piecemeal nonsense that we do here. Here we have an agency that looks to cut cut cut when it comes to service further alienating transit riders.

The French view transportation as a right, which is why so many of them skip the fare, but even so they pay a lot in taxes so in a way while I don't fully agree, I understand their position.

I love when people state the obvious.

I love when people wanna sprinkle their salt over an well seasoned random thought that didn't need the obvious stated.

The two are very similar places actually.

Stop being so argumentative. It's REALLY annoying.

1 hour ago, LTA1992 said:

I love when people state the obvious.

I love when people wanna sprinkle their salt over an well seasoned random thought that didn't need the obvious stated.

The two are very similar places actually.

Stop being so argumentative. It's REALLY annoying.

You've been on this Paris this and that since you went there for a few weeks or whatever it was. I find it funny quite frankly. No, they aren't similar places. Someone who is misinformed would make such a statement.

I don't believe this has been mentioned anywhere on this forum space, but a project by Ceruzzi Properties has been going on since last fall to add a condominium to the northeast corner of 86 on Lex. As part of the project, it plans to only make the uptown (6) local platform accessible, while not making the (4) and (5) platform accessible due to structural problems that prevents the uptown express platform to be accessible. In addition to the accessibility component, the two original stairways that existed on the north and southeast side would also be replaced with a central stairway, almost similar to the one that was built for 96th Street when it was renovated.

By the way, the MTA and the New York City Department of Transportation contracted with the property to do just that.

Here are the articles regarding 86th Street in question: 

https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20160321/upper-east-side/locals-angered-by-developers-plans-alter-ues-subway-station/

https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20170616/upper-east-side/east-86th-street-lexington-avenue-tower-developer-plans-new-staircase-elevator-to-subway/

To be honest, I do not have any issue with the property wanting to provide accessibility. But it does not look like they had a real plan to make the entire stop completely accessible.  What occurred at Willets Point is the same thing that is happening at 86th Street; the only difference is the circumstances surrounding how the issue of accessibility was worked out.

1 hour ago, 4 via Mosholu said:

I don't believe this has been mentioned anywhere on this forum space, but a project by Ceruzzi Properties has been going on since last fall to add a condominium to the northeast corner of 86 on Lex. As part of the project, it plans to only make the uptown (6) local platform accessible, while not making the (4) and (5) platform accessible due to structural problems that prevents the uptown express platform to be accessible. In addition to the accessibility component, the two original stairways that existed on the north and southeast side would also be replaced with a central stairway, almost similar to the one that was built for 96th Street when it was renovated.

By the way, the MTA and the New York City Department of Transportation contracted with the property to do just that.

Here are the articles regarding 86th Street in question: 

https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20160321/upper-east-side/locals-angered-by-developers-plans-alter-ues-subway-station/

https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20170616/upper-east-side/east-86th-street-lexington-avenue-tower-developer-plans-new-staircase-elevator-to-subway/

To be honest, I do not have any issue with the property wanting to provide accessibility. But it does not look like they had a real plan to make the entire stop completely accessible.  What occurred at Willets Point is the same thing that is happening at 86th Street; the only difference is the circumstances surrounding how the issue of accessibility was worked out.

I brought it up in another thread.  I happen to agree with the community. I commute via the BxM1 by there daily and there are a number of issues that this project is creating that the developer should be more transparent about with the community. For starters traffic is a nightmare already on Lexington, and this is making things much worse.  Of course there will be disruptions with any construction project, but often times what happens is things are done from the hip without proper planning making a situation that could be manageable far worse.  The staircase situation is a good one and I would go further with the ADA accessibility.  This developer is going to add a substantial amount of riders to this station, and having elevators just reach the local platforms isn't enough IMO.  If it's possible, they should go further and make the entire station accessible.  The express tracks are quite deep underground, requiring one to climb several flights of stairs to reach ground level.

4 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I brought it up in another thread.  I happen to agree with the community. I commute via the BxM1 by there daily and there are a number of issues that this project is creating that the developer should be more transparent about with the community. For starters traffic is a nightmare already on Lexington, and this is making things much worse.  Of course there will be disruptions with any construction project, but often times what happens is things are done from the hip without proper planning making a situation that could be manageable far worse.  The staircase situation is a good one and I would go further with the ADA accessibility.  This developer is going to add a substantial amount of riders to this station, and having elevators just reach the local platforms isn't enough IMO.  If it's possible, they should go further and make the entire station accessible.  The express tracks are quite deep underground, requiring one to climb several flights of stairs to reach ground level.

I don't see how it would be impossible to at the very least dig the shaft down to the lower level. That way, at least one direction of service is fully accessible. From what I read, it sounds like the developer is only adding the elevator because the structure requires moving the existing stairway around, thus running into ADA-related alteration requirements.

2 hours ago, OverlyObsessed said:

can you tell me where there's a sign with a (K) please?

Haven't a clue as I don't travel through Penn Station. Someone posted a pic with the old (K) a while back and given the MTA's penchant to leave erroneous signs up long past their relevance, I wouldn't be surprised if it's still in that location.

6 minutes ago, Lance said:

I don't see how it would be impossible to at the very least dig the shaft down to the lower level. That way, at least one direction of service is fully accessible. From what I read, it sounds like the developer is only adding the elevator because the structure requires moving the existing stairway around, thus running into ADA-related alteration requirements.

Haven't a clue as I don't travel through Penn Station. Someone posted a pic with the old (K) a while back and given the MTA's penchant to leave erroneous signs up long past their relevance, I wouldn't be surprised if it's still in that location.

With the way they're building that new space, I think they were hoping to get in there, put up the building and get out before the community could even have a clue of what's going on. I'm serious.  If they can save a few million, that's more money in their pockets to invest in the next project to make them more money.  They may cave in though because the last thing they want is to have their name thrown around in the papers about them being sleazy. 

13 minutes ago, EphraimB said:

Is there going to be special express service on the Brighton line for the Parade of Trains at Brighton Beach?

The Parade of Trains will be using the express tracks between Ocean Parkway and Kings Highway.