SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

3 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

Would CBTC be able to get trains through the Atlantic / Dekalb / Manhattan Br  area quicker?

Yes. Much of the slowness in that area has to do with excessive installation of GTs. CBTC reduces the operational margin of error by giving control to a computer that can regulate train speed and spacing in real time, obviating any need (fictive or not) for extreme speed restrictions, increasing both design speed of the area in question and the actual speed, as operators do not have to guesstimate when timers will clear. 

3 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

Which lines are the MTA using this new lower cost CBTC solution?

Hopefully none. While Cuomo loves to fap to this stuff, it simply has never been tested. I know little of the technology beyond the superficial concepts and technologies underpinning it, and who knows, it may be workable, but given our current situation, this is *really* not the time to play test track.

Thankfully, Byford gets this and is pushing for conventional installations. 

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, LGA Link N train said:

offense since I find Japanese culture quite awesome)

lmao dude Japan is one of the most racist and misogynistic cultures on this Earth. It's not all anime and yummy food.

5 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

Which lines are the MTA using this new lower cost CBTC solution?

How much lower would the cost actually be after all of the testing and research that would have to be done? What needs to happen is permitting more companies to provide the tech so we can purchase it at a competitive rate. The made in NY stipulation is costing us millions.

1 hour ago, kosciusko said:

lmao dude Japan is one of the most racist and misogynistic cultures on this Earth. It's not all anime and yummy food.

I didn't know that partly cause i only learned about its feudal age. By racist, you mean worse than America and what does misogynistic mean? (Even though this is off topic)

1 hour ago, kosciusko said:

How much lower would the cost actually be after all of the testing and research that would have to be done? What needs to happen is permitting more companies to provide the tech so we can purchase it at a competitive rate. The made in NY stipulation is costing us millions.

If the testing and research takes little time is more successful than our current CBTC methods then the price could be cheaper but I predict that the price would only be 15-35% lower than current costs. However, I'm unable to answer your question in bold. 

5 minutes ago, Calvin said:

The (6) is slowly getting upgrades with their R62As. 1716-1720 and 1911-1915 have the brighter LED lights with signs similar to the (1) line. The sides are painted all white as well. 

Saw a (6) with the route map above the roll sign instead of the normal place a few days ago

3 hours ago, Calvin said:

The (6) is slowly getting upgrades with their R62As. 1716-1720 and 1911-1915 have the brighter LED lights with signs similar to the (1) line. The sides are painted all white as well. 

By signs you mean rollsigns? What sides are painted white?

14 minutes ago, VIP said:

By signs you mean rollsigns? What sides are painted white?

Yes, rollsigns. The destination with borough is all in one line. 

Sides: the stainless steel part, bonnets are partially painted. 

13 hours ago, Calvin said:

Pretty soon, 1701-1705 & 1726-1730 will join that ongoing list. Also 1911-1915 set is still not linked as a 5-car set, still coupled as single sets.

Damn, I was hoping the (useless, poorly-designed, and unnecessary) R62A rollsign replacements weren't going to spread to the Pelham cars. I assumed it was just 240th for all the service changes with missing destinations (14th St., etc). Hope it takes a really, really long time.

27 minutes ago, MHV9218 said:

Damn, I was hoping the (useless, poorly-designed, and unnecessary) R62A rollsign replacements weren't going to spread to the Pelham cars. I assumed it was just 240th for all the service changes with missing destinations (14th St., etc). Hope it takes a really, really long time.

Seriously. Why change them?

10 hours ago, Jemorie said:

I find it honestly strange that the MTA would go this far as to "fix" stuff that's not even broken to begin with.

Instead of fixing signals which is one of the main problems, they fix rollsigns instead. It’s kinda like an average teen who procrastinates but finds other work to do instead of starting homewrk.

A better question to ask is what are the conditions of the existing 62A signs? We see them in the same positions on the (1)(3) and (6) lines, regardless of terminal changes because the destinations don't really change for the first two and the circle/diamond LEDs are good indicators of the north terminal for the (6). Beyond that, is there any wide-scale deterioration on the rolls that would warrant full replacement? Remember, most of the 68s got new signs back in 2001 for the final phase of Manhattan Bridge work. A lot of the 62s however are still using the original signs dating back to the early '80s.

Timings are adjusted to the Lexington Av line after the opening of SAS (Q) line with new effect 6/24/18.

(4) : AM trip now swapped going to Utica Av now from Woodlawn to Bowling Green. 

(5) : Extra trains on the AM added to/from Eastchester, E. 180 St making trips to Crown Hts-Utica, or Bowling Green, PM: 2 extra trains from the yard to Nereid Av. 

(6) : Each train to/from Brooklyn Bridge to 125 St is 3 minutes making 6 minute headways each train Bronx section. 4 extra trains during the AM make trips to 3 Av-138 St. 

16 minutes ago, Calvin said:

Timings are adjusted to the Lexington Av line after the opening of SAS (Q) line with new effect 6/24/18.

(4) : AM trip now swapped going to Utica Av now from Woodlawn to Bowling Green. 

(5) : Extra trains on the AM added to/from Eastchester, E. 180 St making trips to Crown Hts-Utica, or Bowling Green, PM: 2 extra trains from the yard to Nereid Av. 

(6) : Each train to/from Brooklyn Bridge to 125 St is 3 minutes making 6 minute headways each train Bronx section. 4 extra trains during the AM make trips to 3 Av-138 St. 

I wish the schedules online were updated already to reflect this.

Edited by S78 via Hylan

On 6/22/2018 at 9:29 AM, Lance said:

A better question to ask is what are the conditions of the existing 62A signs? We see them in the same positions on the (1)(3) and (6) lines, regardless of terminal changes because the destinations don't really change for the first two and the circle/diamond LEDs are good indicators of the north terminal for the (6). Beyond that, is there any wide-scale deterioration on the rolls that would warrant full replacement? Remember, most of the 68s got new signs back in 2001 for the final phase of Manhattan Bridge work. A lot of the 62s however are still using the original signs dating back to the early '80s.

Some 42 Street Shuttles display (S) in the old 80's font as well.

Can I just say that that new (4) trip from Woodlawn to Bowling Green is genius?

It's scheduled to leave Woodlawn at 7:13 and arrives at Bowling Green at 8:14 and turns as the 8:28 heading back uptown, right as everyone and their mother gets off the ferry and is trying to go uptown... 

Extra capacity, right at the peak of the peak...

On 6/20/2018 at 4:44 PM, RR503 said:

Yes. Much of the slowness in that area has to do with excessive installation of GTs. CBTC reduces the operational margin of error by giving control to a computer that can regulate train speed and spacing in real time, obviating any need (fictive or not) for extreme speed restrictions, increasing both design speed of the area in question and the actual speed, as operators do not have to guesstimate when timers will clear. 

I wouldn't give any hope of the "extreme" speed restrictions, the MTA is going the direction of capping the speed at 30mph and there's nothing that indicates that will change. Although the margin on timers eating up speed should be a real gain.

16 minutes ago, Jsunflyguy said:

I wouldn't give any hope of the "extreme" speed restrictions, the MTA is going the direction of capping the speed at 30mph and there's nothing that indicates that will change. Although the margin on timers eating up speed should be a real gain.

I would, actually. Not to sound like the press horn for the agency, but I think some of you would be truly astounded to see what is on the table internally these days. Timer removal is absolutely in the cards. 

I also don’t think that they’re looking to further lower the general speed limit. If they were, they wouldn’t ask that CBTC cars be capable of 55 on level track. 

7 minutes ago, RR503 said:

I would, actually. Not to sound like the press horn for the agency, but I think some of you would be truly astounded to see what is on the table internally these days. Timer removal is absolutely in the cards. 

I also don’t think that they’re looking to further lower the general speed limit. If they were, they wouldn’t ask that CBTC cars be capable of 55 on level track. 

That's fine, we'll see. But nothing precludes CBTC from doing commanded speed drops in place of timers. Although some timers could be removed if the MTA's odd signal policy such as having timers that protect switches even in their normal position---which is frankly insane---is revised. 

Edited by Jsunflyguy

57 minutes ago, Jsunflyguy said:

That's fine, we'll see. But nothing precludes CBTC from doing commanded speed drops in place of timers. Although some timers could be removed if the MTA's odd signal policy such as having timers that protect switches even in their normal position---which is frankly insane---is revised. 

We’re talking at cross purposes here — my bad. CBTC will preserve some speed restrictions, yes, but given the margin of error reduction I talk about above, those restrictions are generally less onerous (ride the (L) to see what I mean). What I was saying about internal shifts is that many currently restricted areas may lose that designation in the near future.