SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

31 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Nothing sucks more than when the (L) is running on 24 minute headways and you JUST miss the train... thus having to wait damn near an half hour for the shuttle train to come back to Rockaway Parkway.

That’s slightly worst than overnight headway’s on the subway lines which is unacceptable tbh during the day time. It was a disaster last week when both the (L) and (J) were being worked on, so no (L) trains between 8th Ave and Broadway Junction and the (J) wasn’t running to Jamaica Center past Crescent Street. 

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Nothing sucks more than when the (L) is running on 24 minute headways and you JUST miss the train... thus having to wait damn near an half hour for the shuttle train to come back to Rockaway Parkway.

24 minute headways? They might as well not run the train at all. I'd rather know in advance or arrive at a station to learn that the subway is out rather than to swipe and then learn I have to wait half an hour and that it was better to take the bus. 

2 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

That’s slightly worst than overnight headway’s on the subway lines which is unacceptable tbh during the day time. It was a disaster last week when both the (L) and (J) were being worked on, so no (L) trains between 8th Ave and Broadway Junction and the (J) wasn’t running to Jamaica Center past Crescent Street. 

If that's the case, why couldn't they run the (J) to Canarsie and start the shuttle buses from Broadway Junction. Does CBTC prohibit that type of service pattern?

12 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

If that's the case, why couldn't they run the (J) to Canarsie and start the shuttle buses from Broadway Junction. Does CBTC prohibit that type of service pattern?

GO is single track from Bway Jct to Canarsie. (J) vs (L) makes no difference. 

3 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

The SIR runs every 30 off peak, but at least it's free so if you miss that train, you can walk out and see if a bus is coming.

That moment when you realize the "4" in "NXT Takeover 4" looks like the 4 from the side signs of the R142A 😄. It's on-topic because there were so many people on the (4) train (myself included) going to Barclays Center for the event today. Train was packed like rush hour, as usual.

nxt-takeover-brooklyn-4-set.jpg?itok=xfw

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by paulrivera

Has anyone ever been on a train where the doors didn’t open at your stop? Tonight  I was on a train and they  said “this is - the next stop is “ but never opened the doors.in this case they did after but anyone ever witness doors not opening?

8 hours ago, Abba said:

Has anyone ever been on a train where the doors didn’t open at your stop? Tonight  I was on a train and they  said “this is - the next stop is “ but never opened the doors.in this case they did after but anyone ever witness doors not opening?

That once happened to me on a northbound (G) at Carroll Street.

8 hours ago, Abba said:

Happened on the (J) a few times at night, but thankfully, not at my stop.

On 8/7/2018 at 11:58 AM, Lance said:

It's possible for a Bridge train to hit DeKalb Av and then run express on 4th Avenue. From the north tracks of the bridge, trains would switch over to Brighton track the (B) and (Q) use presently to stop at DeKalb Av. Following that stop, it could switch over to the 4th Avenue local track and merge with the (R). Directly before Atlantic Av, the train would then switch over to the express track. Invert that for Manhattan-bound service. Of course, I wouldn't recommend it in any way because the weaving back and forth does nothing to minimize those often-complained about merging delays, even if it is in the middle of the night.

That’s precisely why I asked about it. I knew I was possible, but who would advocate for that?

(D) Central Park West Exp - The only reason why the (D) continues to run express along that sector is because the line is long enough as is. However, if there was enough push from riders, you can bet it would become a late night local as well, just like the (Q)

It made sense for the (Q), and I agree with it because the local portion is in the central business district, which is where rides are originating/destined. Can’t really say the same for those in the residential neighborhoods above 59 Street. Although I would understand if it happened as the Bronx doesn’t really have much political clout. The MTA would be screwing over people who have very long rides working the graveyard shift.

(F) Queens Blvd Express - I guess Sutphin-Hillside doesn't need late night service, right? There's no way for an (F) express to hit Sutphin Blvd without new switches being installed after Briarwood, which I don't see happening anytime soon. Even if you meant the (E), which isn't any better quite frankly, there is very little gained by skipping Briarwood and 75 Avenue other than maybe a minute on travel time.

That’s obviously not what I advocated for. This is exactly what the (F) is already doing at night—no (E) affected:

On 8/6/2018 at 8:00 PM, CenSin said:
  • (F) along Queens Boulevard (east of Forest Hills–71 Avenue)

However, I have to agree with the consensus that shifting the (Q) to Whitehall would only make an already slow trip out of Brooklyn even slower. If I'm not mistaken, the (Q) via Brighton is one of the slowest trips out of Coney Island, second only to the (F) via Culver. Why make that trip more annoying when the present setup works well enough?

I don’t know if that is true. The current scenario has the (Q) clocking in at 1 hour and 6 minutes per trip, while the (N) clocks in at 1 hour and 28 minutes per trip. That’s given the current service plan where the (Q) is Broadway local, via bridge, and the (N) is Broadway local, via tunnel.

Suppose the switch I advocated for was implemented. Going by the run times, we get:

• (Q) Broadway local, via tunnel, Brighton local: 1 hour and 17 minutes (11 minutes more than current)
    • 9 minutes from 96 Street to to 57 Street–7 Avenue (no change)
    • 13 minutes from 57 Street–7 Avenue to Canal Street (no change)
    • 21 minutes from Canal Street to Atlantic Avenue–Barclays Center (11 minutes more)
    • 30 minutes from Atlantic Avenue–Barclays Center to Coney Island–Stillwell Avenue (no change)
  • (N) Broadway local, via bridge, 4 Avenue express: 1 hour and 10 minutes (18 minutes less than current)
    • 17 minutes from Astoria–Ditmars Boulevard to 57 Street–7 Avenue (no change)
    • 10 minutes from Canal Street to Atlantic Avenue–Barclays Center (11 minutes less)
    • 30 minutes from Atlantic Avenue–Barclays Center to Coney Island–Stillwell Avenue (7 minutes less)

If the (N) continued running 4 Avenue local anyway, its run time would be cut down to 1 hour and 17 minutes—exactly that of the (Q). So what is the real problem?

2 hours ago, CenSin said:

That’s precisely why I asked about it. I knew I was possible, but who would advocate for that?

It made sense for the (Q), and I agree with it because the local portion is in the central business district, which is where rides are originating/destined. Can’t really say the same for those in the residential neighborhoods above 59 Street. Although I would understand if it happened as the Bronx doesn’t really have much political clout. The MTA would be screwing over people who have very long rides working the graveyard shift.

That’s obviously not what I advocated for. This is exactly what the (F) is already doing at night—no (E) affected:

I don’t know if that is true. The current scenario has the (Q) clocking in at 1 hour and 6 minutes per trip, while the (N) clocks in at 1 hour and 28 minutes per trip. That’s given the current service plan where the (Q) is Broadway local, via bridge, and the (N) is Broadway local, via tunnel.

Suppose the switch I advocated for was implemented. Going by the run times, we get:

• (Q) Broadway local, via tunnel, Brighton local: 1 hour and 17 minutes (11 minutes more than current)
    • 9 minutes from 96 Street to to 57 Street–7 Avenue (no change)
    • 21 minutes from Canal Street to Atlantic Avenue–Barclays Center (11 minutes more)
    • 30 minutes from Atlantic Avenue–Barclays Center to Coney Island–Stillwell Avenue (no change)
  • (N) Broadway local, via bridge, 4 Avenue express: 1 hour and 10 minutes (18 minutes less than current)
    • 17 minutes from Astoria–Ditmars Boulevard to 57 Street–7 Avenue (no change)
    • 10 minutes from Canal Street to Atlantic Avenue–Barclays Center (11 minutes less)
    • 30 minutes from Atlantic Avenue–Barclays Center to Coney Island–Stillwell Avenue (7 minutes less)

If the (N) continued running 4 Avenue local anyway, its run time would be cut down to 1 hour and 17 minutes—exactly that of the (Q). So what is the real problem?

I’d say the problem is that it makes it harder for Brighton riders to get to Manhattan fast. 4th Avenue has the (D) train for going over the bridge, but the Brighton Line does not have an alternative. Plus, they wouldn’t be able to transfer to the (D) or (N) at Dekalb because they would be going express. (At least the (N), I am not sure about the (D)) Running time between lines doesn’t matter much compared to getting people where they want to go IMO.

Edited by W4ST

40 minutes ago, R68OnBroadway said:

Does anyone know what the terminal turning capacity of Ocean Pkwy and City hall lower are?

City Hall lower is basically just a relay terminal, so using FHills as a benchmark, I'd say somewhere in the 18-22 tph range. 

Ocean Parkway's switches are pretty set back and (IIRC) D10. So I'd say 12tph, though that is truly a spitball number. 

The reason why the train is more crowded is because of the crappy 4 TPH for the (S) and due to the beach crowds. Just because a train is crowded does not mean that part has high ridership- the (R)  (and also the (B) ) are heavily used yet you can still find seats during rush hour (depending on the location). The Rockaway branch of the (A) still sees very low patronage minus Howard Beach, and I'm sure if the MTA ever faced a serious crisis the Rockaways would get a shuttle late nights and maybe even weekends.

17 minutes ago, R68OnBroadway said:

and I'm sure if the MTA ever faced a serious crisis the Rockaways would get a shuttle late nights and maybe even weekends.

That's even more money because you need to hire more T/O and C/R to operate the shuttle trains. Unless if you're talking about a bus.

1 hour ago, Lil 57 said:

That's even more money because you need to hire more T/O and C/R to operate the shuttle trains. Unless if you're talking about a bus.

I'd picture them using OPTO four car shuttles with 1 tph overnight and 3-4 tph weekends... they would also probably route more (A) s to Lefferts to cut down on run time.