SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

6 hours ago, R68OnBroadway said:

I'd picture them using OPTO four car shuttles with 1 tph overnight and 3-4 tph weekends... they would also probably route more (A) s to Lefferts to cut down on run time. 

Or only run trains to Far Rockaway and tell people to transfer to the Q53 SBS at Broad Channel for Rockaway Park during Late Nights and Weekends.

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Me and a friend were accused of changing rollsigns on the Myrtle Shuttle. We were taking pictures of the odd rollsigns, so it was understandable that the C/O had thought we had done it. I explained to the C/O that we had not changed the rollsigns but had happened upon them at Metropolitan Avenue, and explained that I understand that it is illegal to change the rollsigns, and that all it does is confuse passengers. I just want to make it clear to people on the forums here: don't do anything stupid.

11 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

That's a gross exaggeration. A TA employee saw the kid doing it and took a pic, then he ran way before anybody stopped him. Cops are not 'on edge.' I bet 99% have no idea.

Really? Cause one just hassled me at Times Square for taking pictures of a (1). Maybe it's nothing to do with the other, but who knows.

And really? I thought someone found out where he lived and called the cops on him.

I wonder when the 7 with their R188s will get the updated signs. Last time I saw a baseball 7 to Hudson Yards, the EXPRESS is spelled out. 

Also, I was wondering was Corona Yard doing constriction around 2006 to expand the yard accommodation (that is adding more tracks so trains can be stored there) ?

Edited by Calvin

Some of those (4) train conductors can really be aholes sometimes for real....(3) train pull in utica and soon as our doors open he purposely closed the doors in our faces...basicly saying yall wait for the next one to come....I mean its ok to do that before the train pulls in ....but to do that right when everyone making a dash for the transfer is not right....(MTA) needs to change that kind of rule

58 minutes ago, biGC323232 said:

Some of those (4) train conductors can really be aholes sometimes for real....(3) train pull in utica and soon as our doors open he purposely closed the doors in our faces...basicly saying yall wait for the next one to come....I mean its ok to do that before the train pulls in ....but to do that right when everyone making a dash for the transfer is not right....(MTA) needs to change that kind of rule

Replace (4) with (B) and (3) with (Q). Same thing.

2 hours ago, biGC323232 said:

The other day I had a (6) train conductor close the doors before anyone got on.

7 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

In a move that I cannot explain, it appears that Cortlandt Street on the (1) will be renamed "World Trade Center" as they've started putting up the signs on the platform

39929236_1835762589832997_41975259770912

Hmm... Looks like my future subway maps are true. Looking forward to the (A) getting extended to Reads Lane!

18 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

In a move that I cannot explain, it appears that Cortlandt Street on the (1) will be renamed "World Trade Center" as they've started putting up the signs on the platform

Makes sense since the (1) is going to be connected to the WTC transport hub. Cannot wait for those who disapprove of it in the name of nostalgia.

8 minutes ago, EphraimB said:

Hmm... Looks like my future subway maps are true. Looking forward to the (A) getting extended to Reads Lane!

Does this mean that we'll have 2/5 trains going underwater as well?

Edited by NoHacksJustKhaks

28 minutes ago, EphraimB said:

Hopefully the MTA "reeds" your obsessive interest in this (A) extension and recommend it as a top priority project to the chairman!

It's totally gonna be a marvelous extension... :rolleyes:

(sarcasm) 

Edited by Coney Island Av

Does anyone here know the minimum amount of TPH needed to provide decent service on each corridor? This is all I know so far.......

Second Avenue - 19TPH minimum 

Lex and QB express - Max Capacity. (29-30TPH)

I'm asking this because I'm working on a subway map that focuses on demand while partially deinterlining at the same time.

On 8/7/2018 at 11:58 AM, Lance said:

If I'm not mistaken, the (Q) via Brighton is one of the slowest trips out of Coney Island, second only to the (F) via Culver. Why make that trip more annoying when the present setup works well enough?

Actually the (D) via West End is slower than the (Q) via Brighton out of Coney Island. 

On 8/20/2018 at 4:00 PM, bobtehpanda said:

That picture is not of 'high' ridership anyways. That's a moderately crowded train.

Trains coming out of Flushing or Jamaica? Now that's high ridership.

This is that pinepowerLI (il)logic rearing it's head here (i.e. - If there is one person standing on a bus, then that bus is jampacked!!)

2 hours ago, Daniel The Cool said:

Actually the (D) via West End is slower than the (Q) via Brighton out of Coney Island. 

That’s really a hairsbreadth distinction. Comparing times to 34th, the difference is all of 1-2 minutes — and the leader varies depending on the trips we’re comparing. Takeaway here should be that they’re both crap, and that it’s time to bring back the (NX) lol.  

I'm gonna compare all express travel times to local, according to the schedules. Correct me if there are any mistakes. 

*This disregards any merging, delays, or bottlenecks prevalent on any of the aforementioned lines. 

A Division:

The (2)(3) saves 9 minutes over the (1) from Chambers St to 96 St.

The (4)(5) saves 7-8 minutes over the (6) from Brooklyn Bridge to 125 St.

The (4) saves no time when it bypasses 138 St-Grand Concourse. 

The (5) saves 6 minutes over the (2) between 3 Av-149 St and East 180 St. 

The <6> saves 3-5 minutes over the (6) between 3 Av-138 St and Parkchester. 

The <7> saves 7 minutes over the (7) between Queensboro Plaza and Mets-Willets Point. 

Least amount of time-saving: (4) bypassing 138 St-Grand Concourse

Most amount of time-saving: (2)(3) from Chambers St to 96 St

B Division:

The (A) only saves 4 minutes over the (C)(E) from Canal St to 59 St/50 St. 

The (A) saves 6 minutes over the (C) from Euclid Av to Jay St. 

The (A) saves 8-9 minutes over the (C) from 59 St to 168 St. 

The (B) saves 5-6 minutes over the (Q) from Brighton Beach to Prospect Park.

The (B)(D) only saves 2 minutes over the (F)(M) from West 4 St to 34 St. 

The (D)(N) saves 2-3 minutes over the (R) from 59th/36th to Atlantic. 

The (D) saves 4 minutes over the (B)(C) from 59 St to 145 St. 

The (D) saves 5-6 minutes over the (B) from 145 St to Fordham Road. 

The (E)(F) saves 5 minutes over the (M)(R) from Queens Plaza/21 St-Queensbridge to Forest Hills-71 Av, and 3 minutes over the (F) from the latter to 179 St. 

The (J)(Z) only saves 1-2 minutes over the (M) from Marcy Av to Myrtle Av. 

The (N)(Q) only saves 2-3 minutes over the (R)(W) from Canal St to 34 St/57 St-7 Av. 

The (N)(Q) saves 10 minutes over the (R) from Dekalb/Atlantic to Canal St.

Least amount of time-saving: (J)(Z) from Marcy to Myrtle

Most amount of time-saving: (A) from 59 St to 168 St

1 hour ago, Coney Island Av said:

I'm gonna compare all express travel times to local, according to the schedules. Correct me if there are any mistakes. 

*This disregards any merging, delays, or bottlenecks prevalent on any of the aforementioned lines. 

A Division:

The (2)(3) saves 9 minutes over the (1) from Chambers St to 96 St.

The (4)(5) saves 7-8 minutes over the (6) from Brooklyn Bridge to 125 St.

The (4) saves no time when it bypasses 138 St-Grand Concourse. 

The (5) saves 6 minutes over the (2) between 3 Av-149 St and East 180 St. 

The <6> saves 3-5 minutes over the (6) between 3 Av-138 St and Parkchester. 

The <7> saves 7 minutes over the (7) between Queensboro Plaza and Mets-Willets Point. 

Least amount of time-saving: (4) bypassing 138 St-Grand Concourse

Most amount of time-saving: (2)(3) from Chambers St to 96 St

B Division:

The (A) only saves 4 minutes over the (C)(E) from Canal St to 59 St/50 St. 

The (A) saves 6 minutes over the (C) from Euclid Av to Jay St. 

The (A) saves 8-9 minutes over the (C) from 59 St to 168 St. 

The (B) saves 5-6 minutes over the (Q) from Brighton Beach to Prospect Park.

The (B)(D) only saves 2 minutes over the (F)(M) from West 4 St to 34 St. 

The (D)(N) saves 2-3 minutes over the (R) from 59th/36th to Atlantic. 

The (D) saves 4 minutes over the (B)(C) from 59 St to 145 St. 

The (D) saves 5-6 minutes over the (B) from 145 St to Fordham Road. 

The (E)(F) saves 5 minutes over the (M)(R) from Queens Plaza/21 St-Queensbridge to Forest Hills-71 Av, and 3 minutes over the (F) from the latter to 179 St. 

The (J)(Z) only saves 1-2 minutes over the (M) from Marcy Av to Myrtle Av. 

The (N)(Q) only saves 2-3 minutes over the (R)(W) from Canal St to 34 St/57 St-7 Av. 

The (N)(Q) saves 10 minutes over the (R) from Dekalb/Atlantic to Canal St.

Least amount of time-saving: (J)(Z) from Marcy to Myrtle

Most amount of time-saving: (A) from 59 St to 168 St

The (A) to/from 59th Street-168 saves 6-7 minutes and the (E) /(F) to/from Forest Hills to QnsBr/QnsPlz saves 8-10 minutes. 

15 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

<pic removed>

The station was called "Cortlandt St-World Trade Center" for a long time, and probably came about when the station was renovated back in the '70s.

img_207.jpg

Courtesy Wayne Whitehorne, NYCSubway.org

Also, keep in mind that the actual Cortlandt St road does not reach Greenwich St where the (1) runs under.

1 hour ago, Lance said:

The station was called "Cortlandt St-World Trade Center" for a long time, and probably came about when the station was renovated back in the '70s.

img_207.jpg

Courtesy Wayne Whitehorne, NYCSubway.org

Also, keep in mind that the actual Cortlandt St road does not reach Greenwich St where the (1) runs under.

There's also a missing sign in the video so it may be officially called "CORTLANDT ST-WORLD TRADE CENTER"

3 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

There's also a missing sign in the video so it may be officially called "CORTLANDT ST-WORLD TRADE CENTER"

Maybe... But the size of the "World Trade Center" text in @Around the Horn's photo compared to @Lance's makes it clear theres more likely a chance this station will just be called "World Trade Center". After the building of the WTC complex in the 60's-70's, there is no real reason to keep it's name as Cortlandt Street anyways.