SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

24 minutes ago, NoHacksJustKhaks said:

Maybe... But the size of the "World Trade Center" text in @Around the Horn's photo compared to @Lance's makes it clear theres more likely a chance this station will just be called "World Trade Center". After the building of the WTC complex in the 60's-70's, there is no real reason to keep it's name as Cortlandt Street anyways.

Good point. @Union Tpkeshould we rename the station on wiki?

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/23/2018 at 2:19 PM, S78 via Hylan said:

I think I read somewhere that during peak hours, conductors are not required to hold for connections.

I mean, the negatives outweigh the positives. If the train is already there and it is a train that has long headways (like the (B) at Sheepshead Bay) or the next train is known to take another 10 minutes of waiting (often on the (Q) at Sheepshead Bay due to uneven spacing), holding makes sense. During morning rush, a lot of people can build up on the platform for the express train. Say you close down before those people can get a chance to board, you have all of the crowds from that train, plus the people who are entering from the street level over the next 10 minutes, plus additional (Q) trains that are dumping passengers off (since it is more frequent than the (B)).

On the contrary, some conductors are overly “nice” and hold the door when it would negatively impact service. There is no reason why a (B) should patiently wait at Kings Highway for a (Q) that was passed between Neck Road and Avenue U. It negates the time saved between Sheepshead Bay and Kings Highway.

3 hours ago, CenSin said:

I mean, the negatives outweigh the positives. If the train is already there and it is a train that has long headways (like the (B) at Sheepshead Bay) or the next train is known to take another 10 minutes of waiting (often on the (Q) at Sheepshead Bay due to uneven spacing), holding makes sense. During morning rush, a lot of people can build up on the platform for the express train. Say you close down before those people can get a chance to board, you have all of the crowds from that train, plus the people who are entering from the street level over the next 10 minutes, plus additional (Q) trains that are dumping passengers off (since it is more frequent than the (B)).

On the contrary, some conductors are overly “nice” and hold the door when it would negatively impact service. There is no reason why a (B) should patiently wait at Kings Highway for a (Q) that was passed between Neck Road and Avenue U. It negates the time saved between Sheepshead Bay and Kings Highway.

The one thing I HATE what (N) conductors do is hold the train when a (7) or <7> is coming in and all those people come and crowd the train when its already crowded.

32 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

The one thing I HATE what (N) conductors do is hold the train when a (7) or <7> is coming in and all those people come and crowd the train when its already crowded.

(W) conductors do the same thing. It’s really the holding lights in the station though. They have no choice but to keep the doors open...

I love the hypocrisy embedded in holding. 

MTA: we have a dwell time and overcrowding issue that’s seriously degrading service and capacity. 

Also MTA: let’s hold trains for connections during rush hours (I’ll throw (F) and (A)(C) at Jay as another example) so a few customers don’t have to wait 2 minutes. 

IMO a really neat example of how brashly pleasing a few can subtly degrade the fortunes of the whole. 

9 hours ago, CenSin said:

How do you know the crew wasn't instructed via radio to hold at such stations form for x amount of time because of a problem on the road?

@S78 via Hylan connections are viewed as a courtesy. During rush hours when headways are low it's discouraged since there's usually another train directly behind and holding for connections can plug up the road. We're encouraged to make them when headways are extended like during off peak hours whether or not there are holding lights in the station. Connections are especially important during overnight hours when trains typically run on 20 minute intervals.

It looks like Byford brought the hammer down on mislabeling the trains because they now have proper signage for the (J) via Myrtle Ave service change.

I see they even included one of those special service cards in case the electronic signs were unable to display properly. 

8 hours ago, Lance said:

It looks like Byford brought the hammer down on mislabeling the trains because they now have proper signage for the (J) via Myrtle Ave service change.

I see they even included one of those special service cards in case the electronic signs were unable to display properly. 

I don't get why the (MTA) can't just say that (J) trains are suspended between Crescent and Broad and have (M) service cover for lost (J) service south of Essex. Wouldn't that make more sense?

20 minutes ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

I don't get why the (MTA) can't just say that (J) trains are suspended between Crescent and Broad and have (M) service cover for lost (J) service south of Essex. Wouldn't that make more sense?

It's the (MTA). They never make sense! :D

Edited by Yankees4life

So I'm at Queens Plaza on the (E) , and an (R) was across the platform. Everything is going express towards Forest Hills this weekend. Guess which train left first? If you guessed the (E) , you are way too optimistic (and maybe too logical in the process)...

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

11 hours ago, Lance said:

Wow, they took the Middle Village bound announcement from the (M), took the (J) local from the (J) to Queens, and the "via the (M) line" from the (J) to Prospect. Awesome!

5 hours ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

It's readily apparent the MTA considers the (J) line the primary service on Nassau St and not the (M), which is why the latter always gets the shaft in this service change.

2 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Wow, they took the Middle Village bound announcement from the (M), took the (J) local from the (J) to Queens, and the "via the (M) line" from the (J) to Prospect. Awesome!

Obviously they couldn't (or didn't bother to) get someone to record a proper announcement so they had to make due with what was available. It's kind of long in my opinion though. Really should've used that old "Metropolitan Av-bound..." portion from the (brownM), but whatever.

15 hours ago, Lance said:

😁.....my (J) train had up jamaica center of course.....🤔....wasn't until we reached myrtle bway we the conductor announced we going over the M line

1 hour ago, Lance said:

It's readily apparent the MTA considers the (J) line the primary service on Nassau St and not the (M), which is why the latter always gets the shaft in this service change.

Obviously they couldn't (or didn't bother to) get someone to record a proper announcement so they had to make due with what was available. It's kind of long in my opinion though. Really should've used that old "Metropolitan Av-bound..." portion from the (brownM), but whatever.

They couldve just reused the announcements from the (V) to Middle Village, but at least they did something.

1 hour ago, Lance said:

Which is funny because for whatever reason they refuse to acknowledge it on (J) train signage, unlike the other Manhattan trunk lines.

22 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

Which is funny because for whatever reason they refuse to acknowledge it on (J) train signage, unlike the other Manhattan trunk lines.

What really annoys me is how there was no (J) to Metro program before yet they create that whole (V) via Nassau program set and (M) to Carnarsie. Like, you do realize that a (J) going via Myrtle is more likely then an (M) via the (L).

That's interesting because I noticed that some of the transfers have been omitted in a previous update for the (5) line. For a while now, the M60 Select portion at 125 Street, the M86 Select at the eponymous street and the (F)(Q) at Lexington Av-63 St portion at 59 Street were all dropped in the Clark St AAS update.

1 hour ago, Lance said:

That's interesting because I noticed that some of the transfers have been omitted in a previous update for the (5) line. For a while now, the M60 Select portion at 125 Street, the M86 Select at the eponymous street and the (F)(Q) at Lexington Av-63 St portion at 59 Street were all dropped in the Clark St AAS update.

Im surprised they added in the Q44. Its been what, two years since it launched?

Most IRTs did not have SBS updates after the M60 I believe. 

2 hours ago, Lance said:

The first update got rid of all SBS transfers. They probably updated again because of a glitch at Fulton Street that repeated transfers twice.

Few notes from the (6) line:

1) The new rollsigns look worse and were a waste of money, and are now installed on close to 1/3 of the fleet (probably 3/4 of the 240th fleet)

2) When cars originally from 240th are refreshed with new interior lights and rollsigns, the LED for diamond/circle designations is not added to the rolls (2221-2225, for example)

3) The green yard stickers are now on some of the formerly 240th cars

4) Interior/sign refreshes are happening independently from the yard stickers, which have been placed on plenty of original spec-cars

5) Weirdest mix consist has to be 1934-1924-1926-1938-1942, which still has all the original mismatched yard stickers

The text saying 3 Av-138 St in the Bronx is double the size on the R62A destination now (138 St-3 Av, Bronx):  (the new rollsign that is)

Strange as mentioned seeing an all even 5-car set on the (6) while 1921-2 and 5 are linked together on the 42 St Shuttle. 

Also, 1926 has the window (left side if you're at Brooklyn Bridge) blocked and closed. 

Edited by Calvin