SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

37 minutes ago, MTA Bus said:

So, for some weird ass reason, ENY yard took apart their Cuomo set and put one 4 car set to a regular 4 car set of R160s. There's two R160s on the (J) that are "half Cuomo".

I remember the first time that happened, I think it was on the (L) , people were making fun of the half Cuomo on Facebook.

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, R33WF said:

For anyone interested today is the last day for the R68 (A) going to Rockaway Park. 

Why is today is it's last day when phase 2 of the Rockaways Long-Term Flood Protection is due to end by September 4th? Are the R-68's going to another line? Or will it just not operate until (A) service to Far-Rock is restored?

Edited by NoHacksJustKhaks

4 minutes ago, NoHacksJustKhaks said:

Why is today is it's last day when phase 2 of the Rockaways Long-Term Flood Protection is due to end by September 4th? Are the R-68's going to another line? Or will it just not operate until (A) service to Far-Rock is restored?

68 (A) is weekday evenings only, and with Labor Day weekend, this is the last weekday until normal service resumes. 

7 minutes ago, NoHacksJustKhaks said:

It's the last day because the R68s only run on the (A) during rush hours. They don't run on weekends. 

They'll still continue to operate to Far Rockaway after the repairs are finished, but they'll rarely make appearances at Rockaway Park. 

EDIT: If any of you want to catch it, it normally leaves 207 St between 6:30 and 7:00.

Edited by Coney Island Av

I doubt that people are taking locals more than expresses just because of slower speeds... in the system we have to deal with now there is no such thing as "definite time savings", or even really any time savings for that matter. People today are now less likely to take whichever train they perceive as faster and more likely to just take any train that comes first that can get them wherever, as if anything happens, they at least managed to get the earliest train... this should cause worry for officials that the commuters are getting this desperate and fed up.

Edited by R68OnBroadway
punctuation error

I think the 3 4-car R46s that were moved to the (G) will be "permanent" fixtures" on the line, at least until the Canarsie shutdown. The addition of the R46s on the (G) are probably because some of its R68s are likely needed on the (N) for the local service on the southern portion of 4 Av. 

With the (N) now running via the local track in both directions between 36 St and 59 St (and delays associated with changing tracks), it is likely an extra train is required (total of 34 trains for the (N) / (W)  instead of 33 as noted on the Joekorner assignments), so theres even more of a shortage of spare R160s/R68s, so maybe two 4-car R68 (G) trains were put together and added to the (N) line pool.

On 9/1/2018 at 1:52 AM, N6 Limited said:

Why did the IRT build the Nostrand Ave and President St stations so close? Why not build the Nostrand Ave west of Nostrand Ave (Like Utica Ave) for an immediate turn off down Nostrand Ave east of the station?

They did this to have a close connection between the Nostrand Avenue and President Street stops from the south side of the Brooklyn IRT.

2 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

Do you mean Tunnel/walking connection for track workers/ etc?

Since the President Street stop is two blocks to the north of the Nostrand Avenue stop on Eastern Parkway, it was purposely constructed to be near each other. In other words, they were both built as how you described it.

1 hour ago, 4 via Mosholu said:

Since the President Street stop is two blocks to the north of the Nostrand Avenue stop on Eastern Parkway, it was purposely constructed to be near each other. In other words, they were both built as how you described it.

Actually the Nostrand Avenue stop is the northernmost stop.  You have it backwards. 

On 9/1/2018 at 1:52 AM, N6 Limited said:

Why did the IRT build the Nostrand Ave and President St stations so close? Why not build the Nostrand Ave west of Nostrand Ave (Like Utica Ave) for an immediate turn off down Nostrand Ave east of the station?

The IND did the same for:

• the (A)(C)(G) at Fulton and Lafayette Streets.
  • the (B)(C)(D) at 155 Street.
  • the (A)(C)(E) at Chambers Street and World Trade Center (if you consider them separate stations).
Edited by CenSin

3 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

@Trainmaster5 Back when you were doing the (5) , did the old NYWB tracks south of 180th used to go further then they did now? Trying to see if I can find any photos of the NYWB in the Bronx.

Yes they did. They used to go further south toward the back of the now rebuilt bus depot while ramping down to the railroad tracks.  The trackage was cut back over the years and the railroad connection was severed over 30 years ago. Eventually the structure was cut back too. Hope this helps some.  Carry on. 

On 8/31/2018 at 9:21 AM, Lance said:

I could've swore I read something about this a while back where there's a plan to upgrade the components of the 142s to R188 standards. Help me out here @Union Tpke. As for FINDs and the like, I don't see how those would be useful on trains that rarely leave their home lines. The (2) and (5) are the exception to the rule and not the standard, unlike most of the B-Division, where cars are shared among several lines.

Reroutes, and the fact the strip map on (2)(5) consists don't show all the stations when (2) goes local overnight.

4 hours ago, CenSin said:

The IND did the same for:

• the (B)(C)(D) at 155 Street.

The (C) station and (B)(D) station are basically in two separate neighborhoods. The (B)(D) station is  down in the valley where the Polo Grounds Houses are, while the (C) station is up the hill on St. Nicholas Avenue. To get between the two requires climbing up/down stairs in Highbridge Park (Basically, 155th Street runs as a viaduct over Frederick Douglas Blvd, while it intersects with St. Nicholas Avenue at-grade. So the Bx6 connects with the 8th Avenue Line, but doesn't connect with the Concourse Line until the Yankee Stadium station). 

Edited by checkmatechamp13

1 hour ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

The (C) station and (B)(D) station are basically in two separate neighborhoods. The (B)(D) station is  down in the valley where the Polo Grounds Houses are, while the (C) station is up the hill on St. Nicholas Avenue. To get between the two requires climbing up/down stairs in Highbridge Park (Basically, 155th Street runs as a viaduct over Frederick Douglas Blvd, while it intersects with St. Nicholas Avenue at-grade. So the Bx6 connects with the 8th Avenue Line, but doesn't connect with the Concourse Line until the Yankee Stadium station). 

I was thinking the same thing—the 155th Station along the (C) isn't close to the 155th Station along the (D) in actuality. The user @N6 Limited is correct about the IRT constructing stations quite close to each other in certain parts of the system. Nereid Avenue and Wakefield–241st Street on the (2) are like what, 3 blocks from each other?

5 hours ago, Trainmaster5 said:

Yes they did. They used to go further south toward the back of the now rebuilt bus depot while ramping down to the railroad tracks.  The trackage was cut back over the years and the railroad connection was severed over 30 years ago. Eventually the structure was cut back too. Hope this helps some.  Carry on. 

Thanks for the info. Last question, when (5) trains run express on Dyre why don't they stop at Pelham Parkway?

34 minutes ago, EphraimB said:

I saw 2 R160 (R) trains today. Is the (R) line getting R160s?

It seems Jamaica Yard likes to minimize 46 use on weekends/holidays — a couple sets of 160s have been de facto assigned to the (R) during those times from my observations. 

Just now, Lawrence St said:

Thanks for the info. Last question, when (5) trains run express on Dyre why don't they stop at Pelham Parkway?

No C/R boards IIRC

1 hour ago, RR503 said:

It seems Jamaica Yard likes to minimize 46 use on weekends/holidays — a couple sets of 160s have been de facto assigned to the (R) during those times from my observations. 

No C/R boards IIRC

Oddly enough, they run R46 (F) trains on weekends even though they should enough 160s to cover the entire (F) line on weekends.

5 hours ago, Deucey said:

Reroutes, and the fact the strip map on (2)(5) consists don't show all the stations when (2) goes local overnight.

As cash strapped as this agency is I doubt they'd be able to justify the cost of purchasing and installing FINDS when as Lance said the 2/5 lines are the exception not the rule in terms of sharing fleets. The combined strip maps aren't perfect, but they get the job done well enough. As a new hire working down here made me realize how "special" some of these passengers are and trust me a display ain't gonna help. Last week when I was working on the 5 the announcements were working fine and yet people still come to my window and ask me what train this is directly after the announcment finished playing. Ridership is typically lower during overnight hours and I'd assume that the majority of people traveling during those hours know where they're going and aren't tourists who need a map to guide them.

@Trainmaster5 see why you like the 5. The crew office spoiled me last week with a straight job that was a trip and a half and cleared in Brooklyn. I plan on bailing to the B division the first chance I get, but in the meantime I'm going to say a prayer everytime I check the sheets lol I wouldn't mind working there.