SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

1 hour ago, transitfan111 said:

Today on the train I saw a pregnant lady force a man to get up so she could sit. Felt bad for the poor man, and NOT for the lady. If she wants a guaranteed seat she should've taken a Uber or get a baby daddy with a car.

In my opinion, seats are never guaranteed no matter what/who you are. Some New Yorkers will be nice and give you a seat but others won't care, it's just how people are.

Some lady decided to get nasty with me because I wouldn't get up from that seat behind the driver on LFSA buses, even though I repeatedly explained to her that this was NOT an ADA seat.

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Did you see the video Jeromie posted? With the exception of Jessica announcing the stops on Dyre, those two announcers sound perfect together, and it sounds way better then that garbled mess we have now. 

I'll check it out later as I'm currently at work.

16 minutes ago, ABOGbrooklyn said:

When will cbtc on the (7) be ready? By late December?

I think so. I think the (7) is already automated east of Queensboro Plaza. Just the west portion needs to be completed, and hopefully the weekend shutdowns in these next couple of months will do the trick.

On 10/17/2018 at 1:02 PM, Union Tpke said:

Just because that is how people are doesn't make it right.

What makes things right? Who determines what is right? There is no law mandating people to get up for others (except the ADA seats). People are egotistic and that's how the way things are.

Edited by transitfan111

On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 6:00 PM, Around the Horn said:

That's what "Attention passengers" is for...

That's what I said the last time we had this conversation.

On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 7:10 PM, RR503 said:

To be fair, changing from "ladies and gentlemen" to "attention passengers" is a really small effort the agency can make to make the system feel more inclusive while actually reducing announcement word count. I'm sorry for sounding like a holier-than-thou moral splainer, but I think making people whose identities are rejected/denigrated (just read this conversation) feel more at home is a positive thing. 

For the record, I'm not against the push for inclusion. I just feel the execution leaves a lot to be desired. Then again, that's par for the course with the MTA, isn't it? Mitchell's (I finally remembered her name) PSAs just sound too soft-spoken for my taste. They were replaced because people tuned out Pellett's old announcements, but their replacement will likely be drowned out because they're just too low. Though in all fairness, that could just be the way they were recorded in the booth or the volume setting of the speakers.

On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 1:43 PM, Lawrence St said:

Did you see the video Jeromie posted? With the exception of Jessica announcing the stops on Dyre, those two announcers sound perfect together, and it sounds way better then that garbled mess we have now. 

It does sound a bit like Mitchell doing the destination recording there. Regardless of who it is though, the announcement itself sounds a bit mumbled, which I don't really care for when these are supposed to be clear announcements. It's partly why they went to Bloomberg Radio in the first place instead of doing the whole thing in-house back in 2000.

51 minutes ago, Lance said:

That's what I said the last time we had this conversation.

For the record, I'm not against the push for inclusion. I just feel the execution leaves a lot to be desired. Then again, that's par for the course with the MTA, isn't it? Mitchell's (I finally remembered her name) PSAs just sound too soft-spoken for my taste. They were replaced because people tuned out Pellett's old announcements, but their replacement will likely be drowned out because they're just too low. Though in all fairness, that could just be the way they were recorded in the booth or the volume setting of the speakers.

It does sound a bit like Mitchell doing the destination recording there. Regardless of who it is though, the announcement itself sounds a bit mumbled, which I don't really care for when these are supposed to be clear announcements. It's partly why they went to Bloomberg Radio in the first place instead of doing the whole thing in-house back in 2000.

Thats what her name was!

However you do have to admit that it does sound better then the current one we have now.

Edited by Lawrence St

Whoever makes announcements over station PAs phoned into the wrong station.

At Kings Highway, the PA was letting everyone know about a CI bound (Q) at Neck Road, and about Manhattan-bound (F) and (Q) trains "1 station away". Looks like Kings Highway is the new West 8th Street.

58 minutes ago, Lance said:

It'd be better if they redid the whole damn thing in my opinion, but that's just me.

If that is indeed mitchell, or a new announcer, he/she should be the new announcer for 7th Avenue and Lexington in my opinion. Flushing also needs a complete rework with the 6 dam voices that line has.

14 hours ago, Calvin said:

7691 on the (4) no longer has the digital screen by the sides inside the train

Speaking of the IRT cars with LED screens, it's too bad they don't have the foresight to replace those line maps with these monitors. Seems like it would be a perfect position for them, especially if they're going to take up space in the ad section.

3 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

The (L) line countdown clocks have only been showing PSA for a few days now.

If I had to guess, it might have something to do with the signal work they've been doing on the line since early this month.

2 hours ago, Lance said:

Speaking of the IRT cars with LED screens, it's too bad they don't have the foresight to replace those line maps with these monitors. Seems like it would be a perfect position for them, especially if they're going to take up space in the ad section.

If I had to guess, it might have something to do with the signal work they've been doing on the line since early this month.

I think it's to have the CBTC system be configured to end at Bedford Av during the shutdown.

Note that I arrived at Whitehall St at 1:55 and the next downtown (R) was due in 17 min. Since this was at the entrance and the MTA loves to highlight the next trains to arrive instead of the next train in each direction I was unsure. When I get to the southbound platform to confirm this, I got this picture:

44331996_1392390834227883_90402040554811I showed one of my friends this picture and he notes that sometimes trains are not findable on subway time. While that could be true, do you really think I should even risk that, especially with the performance of the subway these last few years? 

By the way by the time I took this shot, I had 30 minutes to reach class at Jay St. And I needed to stop for coffee. Thank god for other lines in the area.