SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

Apparently, the Rutgers Tunnel closure has been pushed back:

44710871794_f5c3a992c1_b.jpgScreen Shot 2018-10-19 at 4.45.55 PM by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

You know, I completely forgot that Rutgers was the only other tunnel that has not really received the full Fix and Fortify treatment.

16 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Note that I arrived at Whitehall St at 1:55 and the next downtown (R) was due in 17 min. Since this was at the entrance and the MTA loves to highlight the next trains to arrive instead of the next train in each direction I was unsure. When I get to the southbound platform to confirm this, I got this picture:

<pic removed>

I showed one of my friends this picture and he notes that sometimes trains are not findable on subway time. While that could be true, do you really think I should even risk that, especially with the performance of the subway these last few years? 

By the way by the time I took this shot, I had 30 minutes to reach class at Jay St. And I needed to stop for coffee. Thank god for other lines in the area.

Unless there was some situation up the line causing this delay, this is some bad dispatching for a weekday afternoon. I wonder if it would've been possible to send an (N) via Whitehall to compensate. I'd also consider the (W), but those usually return back uptown after terminating at Whitehall St, so that wouldn't really work unless the goal is an ABD on the return trip.

On 10/16/2018 at 12:03 PM, Lance said:

I'll go one further and say they need to redo all the announcement with one voice. The current setup worked well back in 2004 when the announcements were relatively consistent across lines, Lexington Ave being the oddball from 2000-'04 with the combination of Kleiner, Thompson and Ettinger on the (5). Nowadays, with all of the updates in recent years, it's extremely easy for multiple voices to play on the same announcement set. It's an extremely minor thing in the grand scheme of things, but the audiophile in me really notices this.

In regards to the new PSAs, the person who recorded them (I'm blanking on her name at the moment) does not sound authoritative enough to convey pertinent information the way Pellet did. It's actually why they had him do all of the PSAs back in 2000 and left the other announcements to the ladies. Also, "hello everyone" sounds way too casual for important announcements. Of course, "ladies and gentlemen" is such a taboo around here nowadays. I guess it's better than "what's up" or "hey dudes" though.

There should be just one person announcing "This is a X bound Y train" and the transfers, and the other person doing all the PSAs and the "Stand clear of the closing doors please". They also need to get rid of the word "local" and the long-winded announcements ("This is a Brooklyn College-Flatbush Avenue-bound (5) express train", "This is a Coney Island-Stillwell Avenue-bound (Q) local train", "This is a Middle Village-Metropolitan Avenue-bound (M) local train" in a shell nut and so on and so fourth).

R160 A’s 8687-8683 still has those blue LEDs but got the new specs (Yellow looped stanchions & Floor mats). Also anyone know if the modified R160’s on the (E) known as the “cuomo scheme” Are going to be modified back to its original specs or to the updated (current) specs? 

While waiting for the (4)(5) to 86 St at Fulton St, it takes about 2-4 trains to arrive and depart to have a train with not that much crowding. This was 15 minutes before 5PM. It was a struggle seeing other passengers push their way inside the trains esp. when the doors are about to close.  

Edited by Calvin

1 minute ago, Calvin said:

While waiting for the (4)(5) to 86 St at Fulton St, it takes about 2-4 trains to arrive and depart to have a train with not that much crowding. This was 15 minutes before 5PM. It was a struggle seeing other passengers push their way inside the trains esp. when the doors are about to close.  

There’s usually a ton of space if you wait at the rear end of the platform. People don’t want to move to the back apparently.

50 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Yesterday my (L) train had a Lorimer - Union Square skip, due to the train going BIE for some unexplained reason. Never thought Bedford would get skipped during a skip... it's the busiest station on the (L) line.

It happens from time to time. And usually trains will not skip a Transfer station. Bedford may be a busy Station but it doesn’t offer direct connections to other lines, so it can/does get skipped if necessary. 

Whelp, my weekend was just ruined. RIP Chambers St. I loved the dirt. 

Seriously though, I hope they don't mess up the weird majesty of that space. Sure, it smells like piss and really needs TLC, but there's something about the station that brings back the glory days of rapid transit. Maybe it's the high ceilings, maybe it's the fact that it hasn't been cleaned since 1932...I don't know. 

11 hours ago, RR503 said:

Whelp, my weekend was just ruined. RIP Chambers St. I loved the dirt. 

Seriously though, I hope they don't mess up the weird majesty of that space. Sure, it smells like piss and really needs TLC, but there's something about the station that brings back the glory days of rapid transit. Maybe it's the high ceilings, maybe it's the fact that it hasn't been cleaned since 1932...I don't know. 

Station was a relic of how we used to build huge stations with great capacity. Now we build huge overpriced stations with awful capacity (SAS).

17 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

Well there's blue construction wall up at Chambers Street on the (J)(Z) which can mean only one thing:  pigs can fly

44852256_685904951779365_563942875986709

My guess is that they're planning something big for that space and that 'something' will be announced later this week. 

Edited by TheNewYorkElevated

9 hours ago, noktulo said:

I was out of town for 2 weeks and when I came back a new LED display had been installed in the Clinton-Washington AC station, about 30 feet from the existing LCD countdown clock. Anyone know what's going on here? 

IYS3IT9.jpg

The MTA is likely trying out new tech on these LEDs on a basic concept (ex. date and time). I've seen these things before at Astoria Boulevard.