SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

@MHV9218 Do you know what the names of the fonts that were used before the Helvetica era?

Pre-1960s was basically hand-stenciled signs in a font specific to the IND and NYCTS system that they never named, with hand-lettered sticker signs coming up in the 1960s. There was never a name for the block letters in the 1960s, though a lot of the rollsigns are set in TRANSIGN's old alphabet. Once Vignelli and Unimark arrived, 1966-1988ish you were looking at Akzidenz Grotesk BQ ("Standard") set in Medium for almost everything. Sometimes the Condensed version was used on rollsigns. 1974-1978 maps were set in Trade Gothic. Mid-1980s came Helvetica and Impact for narrow station signs, and by 1988 it was, like you said, Helvetica.

8 hours ago, S78 via Hylan said:

Had the pleasure of riding the R179 (C) a few minutes ago. As much as I prefer R46s on that line, it was nice to ride a brand new NTT on it.

last time i caught the C an R46 showed up...i didn't know they threw the R179 on the C yet...ill catch the C tommorrow..just my luck an R32 gonna show up..lol

I’m impressed NYCT let the media in. This was once quite hush hush. Seems they got all the greatest hits on tape here — I see A1 at 72nd, A4 near 116... 

http://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/news/2018/11/08/mta-repairs-faulty-signal-timers-to-speed-up-subway-

Edited by RR503

On 11/7/2018 at 7:09 PM, R143 8277 said:

(M) and (R)  trains bunched up big time on the QBL yesterday (<1 stop gap between trains). How long has this been an issue?

Going into Continental Ave? Forever

49 minutes ago, RR503 said:

I’m impressed NYCT let the media in. This was once quite hush hush. Seems they got all the greatest hits on tape here — I see A1 at 72nd, A4 near 116... 

http://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/news/2018/11/08/mta-repairs-faulty-signal-timers-to-speed-up-subway-

Haha@ greatest hits.

Good story.

"Transit official say they've identified 200 timers enforcing incorrect speed limits"

Geeze

It's nice and all that they are fixing these broke timers, but do we really need a lot of them at all? We used to operate a system without speedometers and to be fair we did well... Union Sq could be prevented if Ray wasn't allowed to operate the train in the first place, and Williamsburg's potential effects could have been fixed by simply adding timers in the most vulnerable places... it's rather sad when it takes more time to get from 125th to 42nd on CPW/8th than 7th.

Also, do they really require trains to stop at Myrtle/right off the bridge in order to be routed through DeKalb? Can't they look at CCTV from the stops themselves? The (Q) crawls so slow through the area that you can see the individual slits in Masstransiscope. It's ridiculous. 

3 minutes ago, R68OnBroadway said:

It's nice and all that they are fixing these broke timers, but do we really need a lot of them at all? We used to operate a system without speedometers and to be fair we did well... Union Sq could be prevented if Ray wasn't allowed to operate the train in the first place, and Williamsburg's potential effects could have been fixed by simply adding timers in the most vulnerable places... it's rather sad when it takes more time to get from 125th to 42nd on CPW/8th than 7th.

Also, do they really require trains to stop at Myrtle/right off the bridge in order to be routed through DeKalb? Can't they look at CCTV from the stops themselves? The (Q) crawls so slow through the area that you can see the individual slits in Masstransiscope. It's ridiculous. 

What is Masstransiscope?

Tonight I finally rode a (L) train that announced the transfer to the B82 SBS at Rockway Parkway.

Also got to ride the 179 (C) train, went out of my way to look for it, anyway (C) riders noticed it was a brand new train even though the very similar looking 160s have been running on the line for a few years now.

2 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Also got to ride the 179 (C) train, went out of my way to look for it, anyway (C) riders noticed it was a brand new train even though the very similar looking 160s have been running on the line for a few years now.

The R179's don't sound like anything else in the system and you often hear them before you can see them. Everyone notices the sound even if they can't tell the difference visually...

I remember waiting at Fulton St during PM rush on the (J)(Z) when it was just the pilot set, and everyone looked up from their phones in unison as soon as they heard it.