SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

I think everyone notices the R179’s. I heard someone say “oh this is a new train it’s shiny and brighter”... I even encountered a few comments about the “cuomo scheme” R160’s. (Most passengers believe that those sets are brand new)

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Horrible situation on the (C) line tonight, was riding a 32 (C) when a homeless man opened to storm door and threatened to kill himself, even climbing up on the anticlimbers/little gates that prevent people from falling on the tracks... while the train was in motion. He was ranting holding the door open while up on the anticlimbers. It was so nerve racking, I really was hoping this man was NOT doing to die a violent death right in front of me by getting ran over by the train. Luckily, he climbed back inside the train and started asking for change, he had mental illness, he went to the next car and did NOT try the same stunt, so made me think he was serious about killing himself. 

Edited by trainfan22

On 11/9/2018 at 10:36 PM, Jemorie said:

I think the only reason why the (C) is so popular among railfans is because of the constant car changes along the line every now and then...even if it's just a short-turn (A)...

I wouldn't use the word "popular" to describe it, any train line (not just the (C)) that experiences car change in this city is bound to get attention for some time by railfans. Now, the (C) has had numerous changes in cars over it's history. Though as with other lines, people (and the fans) typically get used to it after sometime of seeing it. Besides when the changes happen (which i'll agree with you on) I've barely ever seen any fans during all other times.

Edited by NoHacksJustKhaks

11 minutes ago, R68OnBroadway said:

I'm talking about the Eastern division part- is it some result of the tunnel or is due to platforms at Essex?

I mean, none of the other Jamaica and Myrtle Line stations are that long as well, right? Even if you were to make lengthen platforms on just the parts served by the (M) , that would complicate things like service changes where the (M) terminates at Broadway Junction or at Chambers, for example. And there's no money to do all the stations on the Eastern Division, even though they really should (and give the Jamaica Line a full third track while they're at it)

1 hour ago, bobtehpanda said:

I mean, none of the other Jamaica and Myrtle Line stations are that long as well, right? Even if you were to make lengthen platforms on just the parts served by the (M) , that would complicate things like service changes where the (M) terminates at Broadway Junction or at Chambers, for example. And there's no money to do all the stations on the Eastern Division, even though they really should (and give the Jamaica Line a full third track while they're at it)

They should lengthen the (L) platforms as well, should help with more capacity provided that a new power source is added to allow for more (L) trains as well.

17 minutes ago, R68OnBroadway said:

They should lengthen the (L) platforms as well, should help with more capacity provided that a new power source is added to allow for more (L) trains as well.

That type of reconstruction would take many years and cost soooo much money. Solution: update signals, run more trains per hour. 

I've been relatively quiet lately on the site so my rabbi called me to inquire about my health. I told him that physically I was doing fine ( for a dinosaur ) but in my capacity as a "professor" of subway operations I find it almost impossible to pass on what I and my classmates were taught almost 40 years ago. He and a few other mentors like to lurk on certain sites from time to time to see what people who are not employed in the transit field interpret various issues affecting rail and  bus operations in the metropolitan area. Obviously I've failed to emphasize that the infrastructure is the most important component of transit, especially rail movement. I've pushed that since I started posting over a decade ago. This generation seems hung up on NTT, M-9's, interlining and such but a malfunctioning interlocking signal or switch will stop any R-9, Standard, NTT, PA-5, or M9 in it's tracks until that issue is corrected. It's not the car equipment that's failing folks.

Terminal capacity and throughput are something we were taught in schoolcar as C/Rs and as M/M- T/Os. It's a basic element of dispatching and tower operations that was taught to us by trainmasters and motor instructors from the beginning. The reasoning was that it was a part of operations and a part of the promotional ladder. Almost everyone who came up in my cycle in the IRT can come up with a "flex" for dispatching crews for service when something fouls up on the Broadway-Seventh Avenue or Lexington lines. Flushing may be somewhat similar. I can state for a fact that the (5) was historically the hardest one in the IRT because of the amount of terminals involved. There were jobs that made a trip on the (5) followed by a trip on the (4) or a (6) trip that looped and became a (5) heading uptown. It's not just putting a crew on a train and sending them on it's way. Going back to my first sentence in this paragraph my mentors want me to ask this question to clear up a misconception and put to rest a myth at the same time. The original IRT, the BMT, H&M, and the NY Central understood something basic and it's obvious if you think about it. The BMT also puts to rest this myth about " at grade " merges. BMT Canarsie joining Jamaica line at Eastern Parkway, Lexington El merging at Broadway/Lex, while the Myrtle-Chambers joins a stop away, Lex merges with Myrtle at Grand, 5th Ave merges with Myrtle at Navy and everybody merges at Sands St with the Fulton El. Meanwhile the BMT subway merges at Chambers St. Just tower operators and scheduling and no computers, CBTC/ATS. That's my history lesson for tonight. Let's keep the responses civil. Carry on.

On 11/8/2018 at 11:45 PM, VIP said:

I think everyone notices the R179’s. I heard someone say “oh this is a new train it’s shiny and brighter”... I even encountered a few comments about the “cuomo scheme” R160’s. (Most passengers believe that those sets are brand new)

I remember anytime someone told me that the Cuomo Schemes are brand new trains, I usually gave them a answer that went along the lines of "these aren't new trains, but rather they have stickers pasted all over them" or something like that. As for 179 comments. I kept my mouth shut at the time. 

14 hours ago, VIP said:

Random thought: Since the (C) has an R179 in service while the (J) has them in regular service, what’s preventing these cars from making their way via the (M) ??

Nothing is stopping the (M) from using R179's. I think that (MTA) just doesn't want to put them there. Add this on with the factor of QBL CBTC coming up Soon. 

@RR503 I could really tell the effects of long dwell times today. Even though today is Veteran's Day and many people have school and work off, I had school, and service ran on a weekday schedule. It usually takes me 40-45 minutes to get to school; often more in the PM peak. Today it took 30-35 minutes. There were no holdups, no delays, no doors opening and closing multiple times. It is crazy that it took 10 fewer minutes.

17 hours ago, Trainmaster5 said:

I've been relatively quiet lately on the site so my rabbi called me to inquire about my health. I told him that physically I was doing fine ( for a dinosaur ) but in my capacity as a "professor" of subway operations I find it almost impossible to pass on what I and my classmates were taught almost 40 years ago. He and a few other mentors like to lurk on certain sites from time to time to see what people who are not employed in the transit field interpret various issues affecting rail and  bus operations in the metropolitan area.

Your rabbi lurks on this site? Now that's funny.  Sounds like he was having a panic attack and schvitzing all at once about your lack of posts. lol

It looks like they realize that full closures do the job.

S-32765 West 4th Street Substantial Completion December 2018

Additional TA Labor funds required for 4-track weekend shutdowns used to increase contractor’s productivity and prevent schedule delays.

http://web.mta.info/mta/news/books/pdf/181113_1400_CPOC.pdf

Edited by Union Tpke